Apple Releases Mac App Store Update for OS X Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 27, 2016.

1. MacRumors
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple today released a minor update to OS X Snow Leopard with a refreshed version of the Mac App Store. According to Apple's release notes, the Mac App Store has been updated to ensure the future compatibility of the app with the OS X Snow Leopard operating system.

Today's Mac App Store update is available to all OS X Snow Leopard users and can be downloaded through the Mac App Store's software update mechanism.

Before becoming available for public release, the OS X Snow Leopard Mac App Store compatibility update was made available to developers on January 20 for testing purposes.

OS X Snow Leopard (aka OS X 10.6) was first released in 2009. As software that has been discontinued and is run primarily on older machines, Snow Leopard updates are few and far between. The last significant Snow Leopard update, aside from security fixes, was introduced in 2011 ahead of the release of OS X Lion.

Apple's Mac App Store first launched in 2011 as part of the OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.6 update.

Article Link: Apple Releases Mac App Store Update for OS X Snow Leopard

2. voyagerd
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

voyagerd

3. Ebenezum
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

I'm glad to see Snow Leopard still getting some updates! :)

4. KoolAid-Drink
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

Seeing SL's name makes me miss the big cat theme Apple used to run for Mac OS X. Glad SL's still getting some love.

5. bladerunner2000
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

I miss Apple caring about quality in OS X a lot more.

6. HiVolt
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

HiVolt

I absolutely agree... Right now the quality of iOS/OS X upon new release is really questionable, bugs galore... You'd think this public beta stuff would help, but it doesnt seem so...

But then again, what do you expect when they spend valuable time on stilly "features" like Live Photos.

7. ArtOfWarfare, Jan 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2016

ArtOfWarfare
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Weird. Wouldn't expect Apple care at all about Snow Leopard anymore.

Do they have any computers that can't upgrade to Lion which they don't label as Obsolete yet?

(Have to check what my Mac Mini is running... they won't classify it as Obsolete for another 6 weeks. I think it's running Lion, but it might only be running Snow Leopard...)

Edit: My Mac Mini was stuck on Snow Leopard up until recently, because it only came with 1 GB of RAM. Lion requires 2 GB of RAM. Anyone who still has the same Mac Mini, without a RAM upgrade, would have a computer that Apple doesn't yet consider obsolete, but would still be incapable of upgrading to Lion.

8. SandboxGeneral
    Expand Collapse

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wow, I never would have expected any updates from Apple for SL anymore, even security updates!

9. arpi
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

Maybe, just maybe, Apple realized that their customers are/were loyal because they cared about the quality and reliability of the Apple products.

It is a very nice surprise!

10. GeneralChang
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

WOW. Maybe Apple still cares about the MAS after all?

11. TMRJIJ
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

TMRJIJ

Yet no OpenGL updates for SL. My OSXH team still has purpose :p

12. Sasparilla
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

This is all about keeping a faltering revenue source (and you'd think it would be a small one) open for Apple. Nice to see, but it is odd.

13. techguy69
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

techguy69

I think all of them are obsolete. My old early 2006 iMac runs up to SL and has been obsoleted for a while.

14. mw360
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

mw360

Unlikely to be anything to do with revenue. It's because you can't upgrade to El Cap etc. if the App Store doesn't work. They're just keeping the upgrade path functional.

15. phairphan
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

phairphan

No security updates, but they want to ensure they can continue selling you stuff from MAS. You know, priorities.

Edit:

Good point. I slightly retract my earlier cynicism.

16. tdbmoss
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

tdbmoss

No, only the Core Duo (32-bit processor) machines can run a maximum of 10.6 Snow Leopard i.e. the first-generation Intel Macs. However there are quite a lot of Macs that can run a maximum of 10.7 Lion and in my opinion Lion is vastly inferior to Snow Leopard (worse interface, performance, etc) and many prefer Snowy even to later versions as it was such a high-quality release, so there's plenty of reasons still to run it on older Macs that can.

17. ArtOfWarfare
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

You are both incorrect. My Mac Mini will not be classified as obsolete for another 6 weeks, but it only came with 1 GB of RAM. Lion requires 2 GB of RAM. Anyone who hasn't upgraded the RAM would be limited to Snow Leopard. (I upgraded the RAM about 2 months ago using an iFixit guide.)

18. scottishwildcat
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

It's often the "stilly features" that pull in future customers. For years, Photo Booth has been sat on my hard disk doing nothing but taking up space, but any time I used to go into an Apple Store the place was full of kids playing with Photo Booth on the demo machines. I'm sure at least some of them would have ended up choosing a Mac as a result when it came time to picking a laptop for school or whatever.

19. Madd the Sane
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

Madd the Sane

This could be because they are fixing the back-end of the store, and are making sure older versions can take advantage of some of them. Maybe. Maybe they may added the availability to download old versions of apps where the current version won't run on the old OS?

Still, surprised to see a Snow Leopard update.

20. RMo
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

RMo

Why do Apple's "obsolete" (and "vintage") labels matter here? Those refer to hardware, specifically to whether Apple still sells official replacement parts for the machines. Just because something is obsolete doesn't mean it they stop supporting newer software on it, and just because something isn't obsolete yet doesn't mean the newest OS will run on it--though Apple has been doing a pretty good job of keeping the system requirements similar lately, so even many long-obsolete computers can run El Capitan. (Many people seem to be confused with this point the last time MacRumors ran a story on it.)

I suspect Apple did this to make managing the App Store easier for them on the server side--presumably, newer versions of the App Store support things the Snow Leopard version doesn't, and this will enable them to maintain compatibility with it going forward. If Apple is still making any money on Snow Leopard App Store purchases, there might even be extra incentive in it for Apple, too. But obsolescence has never had anything to do with software.

21. thingstoponder
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

thingstoponder

Like when SL had a bunch of bugs when it was released? The cult like view of SL is weird.

All you do is whine, do you even like Apple?

22. B4U
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

B4U

Too bad that they didn't even bother making iTunes 12 compatible with Snow Leopard...
    If I had known getting the 6s would require me to get Yosemite, I would not buy the phone..

23. pat500000
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68030

pat500000

Did that furgeonson guy get fired after all bugs crawling over os x? SL to the MAX! SL is the best..as of late version.

24. e93to
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

e93to

Surprised to get this update!

After the update 500mb disappeared… Seems like a massive content included in the update!