Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

091320-mac_app_store_email_500.jpg

Apple today announced that the Mac App Store has opened for business with over 1,000 apps available at launch. The Mac App Store requires Mac OS X 10.6.6, which is now available for download via Software Update.
Apple today announced that the Mac App Store is now open for business with more than 1,000 free and paid apps. The Mac App Store brings the revolutionary App Store experience to the Mac, so you can find great new apps, buy them using your iTunes account, download and install them in just one step. The Mac App Store is available for Snow Leopard users through Software Update as part of Mac OS X v10.6.6.

"With more than 1,000 apps, the Mac App Store is off to a great start," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "We think users are going to love this innovative new way to discover and buy their favorite apps."
Among the Apple app available through the store are iLife '11 applications priced at $14.99 each, iWork applications at $19.99 each, and Aperture 3 at $79.99. Apple also highlights the inclusion of applications from Autodesk, Ancestry.com and Boinx.

We'll have continuing coverage of Mac App Store developments as users have time to explore the store.

Article Link: Apple Releases Mac OS X 10.6.6 and Launches Mac App Store

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
Looking forward to getting this when I go home today.

I wonder if Family Tree Maker will allow a conversion of the software I just installed for my mother to the app store version. It has only been out for 2 months and would make it easier on my mom to keep it up to date.

GL

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom
WOOT :D its pretty epic installed it about 10 min ago works pretty well.

Lets see how long it takes for Microsoft to make a copy for windows :p

great high wolf

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2006
UK user here - got 10.6.6 installed and the App Store running, but whenever I try and download something, it says "The digital distribution file could not be verified. It may be damaged or may not have been signed."

Tried several apps, all the same result. Anyone else got this?

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
No iWork '11 in sight. Sigh.

Also, I noticed that the App Store recognized that I have iLife 11 already installed on my Mac, but it doesn't recognize I have iWork 09 installed. Interesting.

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
I'm curious to know, are mac apps sold like iOS apps? From your iTunes account and then can are licensed on 5 machines? Or is it one Mac per download?

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

80 bucks for Aperture 3? Most impressive I must say.

jimN

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2005
London
UK user here - got 10.6.6 installed and the App Store running, but whenever I try and download something, it says "The digital distribution file could not be verified. It may be damaged or may not have been signed."

Tried several apps, all the same result. Anyone else got this?

A few people are reporting this. I expect that the software update slipped out slightly before they set the store live.

Out of interest how do the prices look for software? Are we being stitched up with the conversion or is it all quite fair. Am very tempted by Aperture and Keynote, although not sure what I'll do with presentations once they are in keynote!!

Now Apple just need to release a version of iOS that will airplay from the browser/an app store for apple TV and I'll be a very happy man.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
iMovie '11 for $14.95 is an awesome deal. I never use garageband and I'm undecided on if I need or want iPhoto '11 because I really like the '09 version and didn't see much new I'd be interested in so I was hesitant on getting the full suite. Downloading now and iMovie '11 is the first app I will install.

great high wolf

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2006
A few people are reporting this. I expect that the software update slipped out slightly before they set the store live.

Out of interest how do the prices look for software? Are we being stitched up with the conversion or is it all quite fair. Am very tempted by Aperture and Keynote, although not sure what I'll do with presentations once they are in keynote!!

Now Apple just need to release a version of iOS that will airplay from the browser/an app store for apple TV and I'll be a very happy man.

Looks like it's the same conversion being used in the iOS store - $4.99 becomes £2.99.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.