Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yayitsezekiel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Irvine, CA
I downloaded it around 8:40am Eastern time. I restarted and installed a couple apps. Works as expected. I wanted to try it quickly before tons of people started using it and it started to bog down.

One thing I don't appreciate is every app I install going into my dock. I like Angry Birds, but not enough to have it in my dock. Same goes for Twitter. I wonder if there is/will be an option to customize this? I guess Lion will have the Mission Control feature so maybe it will stop doing this.

You can't "install" to the dock. It's just a place to show shortcuts. Just drag the app off of the dock and the just use spotlight to launch it. All of the app's files are stored in the applications folder.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
So Leopard 10.5 users aren't invited to this party either...unless we pay to upgrade to SL. Hurrumph!

I'd be really interested to know WTH you're waiting for.

SL has been updated enough already. Just pay the $20 and join the party.

ferrous

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2007
Repoblikan'i Madagasikara
Existing applications

I wonder how this works for existing applications. I have not downloaded the update yet, but if I share, for example, iLife between two computer, also MS Office between three computers, and Creative Suite between three comps, will I have to pay updates/upgrades for each computer or not? One of my three computers is using separate apple ID.

It looks cool. I regret spending $200 for Aperture now, feeling a bit ripped off :mad:

rjpv

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
Singapore
Kernel panic?

Is someone else experiencing kernel panic screens after installing 10.6.6? My MPB has crashed several times already just after login. No other app opened whatsoever

gorjan

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2009
CPH
Well, I guess I'm glad for everyone that's getting Aperture for $79. I just bought it at the store literally a week ago for $180. Kind of makes me sick to the stomach. Oh well, I guess I don't really need that extra $100 in my pocket anyway. :eek: :(

Wow, that must suck! At least you get a nice CD and box for $100! :/

Knapsack 2 looks nice, but $40?!? They're crazy. I guess I'll stick with TripIt and word. :(

jhiner

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
You can't "install" to the dock. It's just a place to show shortcuts. Just drag the app off of the dock and the just use spotlight to launch it. All of the app's files are stored in the applications folder.

Yes I misspoke. There is a shortcut in the dock. And I know how to drag it off of the dock. And I frequently use spotlight to launch apps. What I'm saying is, why do they assume I want a shortcut to a new app in the dock, when does it stop? Do they put a shortcut to every app you download in the dock?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Or do I now magically get the same license for my version of Aperture? Or can I register it and get it turned into an AppStore version?
Several folks have mentioned that the App Store has detected many of the Apple apps and listed them as already installed. I presume that means something along these lines. Definitely none of the third party apps I have that are available in the apps store are detected in this way.

B

adztaylor

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2009
Preston, UK
It's interesting to note that the Mac App Store picks up on apps you already have. For instance I already have iFlicks and when I just saw it on the App Store the button already says "installed" But when I go to purchases it isn't there.

I wonder if all the updates for that app are now going to be handled by the App Store.

EDIT: Oops beaten to it by above poster.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Well, I guess I'm glad for everyone that's getting Aperture for $79. I just bought it at the store literally a week ago for $180. Kind of makes me sick to the stomach. Oh well, I guess I don't really need that extra $100 in my pocket anyway. :eek: :(

I'd call Apple and b*tch about that. Maybe they'll toss you some App store credit or something, but seriously...I know it's a chance we all take when we bought something, but it's not like you knew it would be on the app store.

I'd call. you never know. Just present your case sternly and then escalate from there. Politeness does go far these days I find.
good luck!

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
It's interesting to note that the Mac App Store picks up on apps you already have. For instance I already have iFlicks and when I just saw it on the App Store the button already says "installed" But when I go to purchases it isn't there.

I wonder if all the updates for that app are now going to be handled by the App Store.

I don't think that updates will be handled by the Appstore for apps that weren't bought from there.

locolhp

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2009
Same in the UK store for me. It also didn't realise I already had Stuffit Expander ;) but then since it's free, I don't mind a re-download to get it 'handled' by the store.

Mark

just restart the mac, worked for me

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I have a retail DVD installed version of iWork 09 apps installed and the App Store does not show these apps as "Installed" like it does my iLife and other apps. Wonder what's up.

iWorks is installed in the /Applications/iWork '09/ folder.

bigjobby

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2010
London, UK

EDIT: Oops beaten to it by above poster.

I wonder if Apple are sneakily doing software audits of our units? :D

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
How does upgrade from applications work? Free minor upgrades are for sure build in - but if I move to the next major release, can I get the new version at a discount or is it full price for every new version?

jeznav

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2007
Eh?
What I really like about this is after I do a clean install of the OS, all downloaded apps from the store are installed without having to hunt for websites or manage DMG files.

CBlakeston

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
Interesting ... it shows me the applications from iLife and iWork as "installed". Does this work only for Apple products or is that something that every software manufacture can implement?

Its other software too. Things shows up as installed for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.