Apple Releases Mac OS X 10.6.8

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 23, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

As hinted at earlier this week, Apple has now released Mac OS X 10.6.8, the eighth maintenance update for Snow Leopard, via Software Update. The update offers a number of fixes implemented since the release of Mac OS X 10.6.7 in late March.
    Direct links for the various downloads on Apple's support pages should be going live shortly.

Thanks to MacUpdate for the heads-up!

Article Link: Apple Releases Mac OS X 10.6.8

2. macrumors member

3. macrumors regular

I'm throwing this out there, July 5th, seems like the perfect date.

4. macrumors 603

roland.g

Sure would like a 10.7.0 release date. July 1 or 2 would work nicely.

5. macrumors 6502a

MacHiavelli

6. macrumors 6502

MBP13

I'm installing it now. This is my first time that I'm installing an update for Snow Leopard 10.6 so I'm a little excited lol.

:cool:

7. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

8. macrumors member

it must be nice to not have to worry about app compatibility before upgrading to a major OSX release... i don't care when Lion comes out because i know it'll be months before i'd be able to touch the thing.

[but the sooner the better, don't get me wrong]

9. macrumors 68040

Hmm...just noticed the MBP is still on 10.6.2....time for an upgrade me thinks!

10. macrumors 65816

Screw Lion, hopefully new MacBook Air is coming early July!:)

11. macrumors 68040

motulist

PLEASE DONT POST COMMENTS THAT SAY "I'M DOWNLOADING IT NOW."

Every time there's an OS update we get like 3 pages of people saying things like "I'm downloading it now" and "It says 30 more minutes till my download is done" etc. Please just wait until your download has been finished and fully installed and you have something worthwhile to say about it. Even if you're just saying "I've installed it and everything is running fine and I see no changes" at least that gives us some small amount of relevant info.

Thanks. :)

12. justinfreid, Jun 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2011

macrumors 6502

justinfreid

Wow - are you upgrading by a full 0.0.8 or did you get a Mac that had something later than 10.6 installed and you're just updating for the first time since you got it? Between your signature and your username I'm guessing you've had your computer for a while.

13. macrumors newbie

Are others having trouble getting to the support article with details? I'm curious as to what the IPv6 improvements are.

14. macrumors 65816

I'm figuring first week seeing as the free upgrade period surely wouldn't be much more than 30 days. Do we do these things on Tuesdays? That would make it the 5th - I guess it doesn't make any difference in AppStore world.

It would certainly be a nice change from Apple's usual announcement for LAST DAY OF THE MONTH. Oh well, meantime I love a good update more than most, so here we go. And I still have my 10.3 and 10.5 t-shirts so will handle no merchandise with digital Lion release ... maybe even go in search of one with a lion on it just for kicks :D.

15. macrumors 6502a

The articles are down

I wanna know the VPN ajustments!

16. macrumors 601

Eddyisgreat

Any PGP users wanna weigh in on if this release breaks anything?

17. macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

I haven't tried it but hopefully this will address couple issues

1)vpn issue. Last upgrade broke vpn. (once you are on vpn, no other internet works except vpn'd stuff. (it used to work before last upgrade).

2)external monitor flickering issue. Whatever happen to this? My external monitor STILL flickers.. wth is going on apple?

Hopefully when I get home, I will try this out(unless someone already tested these).

18. macrumors 6502a

Just to confirm like others I'm not downloading this now.

19. macrumors 65816

I love this, and I totally agree, but the reason I would never post that is because people don't like to be told what you do. Now everyone is just going to quote you and reply with something they think is clever and funny.

20. macrumors 68030

greytmom

Oh come now. It could always be worse... someone could post updates in 60 second increments.

"I'm downloading it now - 30 minutes to go."

"Hmm. It's been 60 seconds but it says 26 minutes left. What gives?"

"Whoa. Another 60 seconds, and now it says 45 minutes to go? I don't understand."

And so on and so on. Hee.

21. macrumors 6502

MBP13

No lol. I've been running Snow Leopard 10.6.7 on both the iMac and MacBook Pro since I've had them. I just tend to get excited for no reason at all.

Mainly, it's because I've been saying "10.6.7" when I talk to my Mac friends, but now I get to say "10.6.8."! :D

22. macrumors 6502

DCJ001

Wouldn't 7/7/11 make much more sense for 10.7?

When it happens, you'll remember this post!

23. macrumors 68000

wikus

Is there any reason why Apple can't implement TRIM into a Snow Leopard update?

24. macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

There don't seem to be any problems after this update, everything is working as it should. There don't appear to be any noticeable changes to the App Store and VPNOD is still working, albeit slower than normal. That doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the update, sometimes it's just slow.

25. macrumors 601

MagnusVonMagnum

Oh boy. The biggest features of this release is that it gets you ready to upgrade to another version of the operating system. What does it do? Install docking clamps to the warp drive, power up the transporter and set phasers to stun? :D

Enjoy it folks. There will be no more updates to Snow Leopard except for security updates. This will be the last version of OSX period for some. I certainly see no pending reason to upgrade (at least until software I use/need requires it). Most of the new Lion features are pointless at best (namely all the iOS ones; my desktop is not a giant iPad and shouldn't be treated as one).