Apple Releases Mac OS X 10.7.3 Supplemental Update, Fixes Time Machine Recovery Issue

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 5, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Apple has released a small update to Lion called Mac OS X 10.7.3 Supplemental Update. The update is apparently a bug fix for an issue with restoring from a Time Machine Backup.
    The update weighs in at 24.55MB and is recommended for all Lion users who have Time Machine backups. It can be downloaded from Apple's software update web page.

Article Link: Apple Releases Mac OS X 10.7.3 Supplemental Update, Fixes Time Machine Recovery Issue

2. macrumors 6502a

iDuel

I don't use TimeMachine, but this is good for the people who use it. It's nice to see that they are on top of issues.:apple:

3. macrumors 65816

I must have got a botched one then, it only came in at 38K.

Haven't had to back up from a Lion Time Machine yet though, thankfully.

If this is the Apple - updating as we go along and not waiting for a huge "Delta" update, then things could be on the up.

4. macrumors 6502a

Mine was 38K too - on both machines I tried.

5. macrumors G4

daneoni

I guess we won't be seeing 10.7.4 or anything like that now that Mountain Lion has been unleashed.

6. macrumors member

Mine only 38kb too. I guess its because i installed the 10.7.3 combo update?

7. macrumors member

afin

Why would you say that? Isn't it possible that this was simply a crucial fix that couldn't wait for 10.7.4?

8. delnerdo, Mar 5, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2012

macrumors member

What issue with Time Machine Backups?

Good grief- Would it really pain Apple that much to tell us what issue they think they have fixed? Faced with the need to upgrade drives for more storage capacity, I was having a really bad time installing onto new mirrored drives from a TM backup and figured it was because Lion prefers to create its own invisible recovery partition. The restore process took hours at a time and I would like to know whether it's worth blowing another weekend putting the mirror setup back in place. The mirroring worked beautifully before the attempted storage upgrade. Sheesh.

9. macrumors 6502a

blackburn

an 25 megs disk image for a 500 kbyte file? And the package only contains TimeMachineUpdatePayload with 1 byte (0x5F). Say what?

10. macrumors 68020

smithrh

Hmmmm.... nothing in Software Update for me.

Yet.

11. macrumors 68030

Amazing Iceman

You should try using Time Machine. it's the best thing ever invented besides ice-cream. :D

Well, seriously, it has saved my butt many times.
    I have never seen something like that before, when I was a Windows user.

12. macrumors 68000

Windows and Time Machine

Well, it looks like Microsoft has a Time Machine ripoff planned for Windows 8 called History Vault:

http://www.winrumors.com/windows-8-history-vault-user-interface-revealed/

13. macrumors 6502a

I've used version control programs (CVS, SVN, etc) to keep my source code under control for years, but I'd never seen it as part of an operating system until I switched to Mac.

It's extremely useful.

14. macrumors 68000

Wonder why they didn't make it available in software updates..

15. macrumors member

afin

I had to go to the apple page to download it. I think that's why it's called a supplemental update?

16. macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Agreed. Something seems amiss with this update. :eek:

I just don't know what to make of it.

17. macrumors 6502

RoelJuun

Just updated using Software Update. 38 KB, installation took 3 seconds?

18. macrumors 6502a

DocNYz

Yeah it's in SU for me as well.

19. macrumors 65816

It's these magical Delta updates they went on about when Lion was released. Remember, it was supposed to make things smaller. The trouble is, to get to the smaller file, you have to download something that is 100's of times larger.

20. macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

This would have helped me a lot yesterday.

21. macrumors 6502

The things that make you go "hmm..."

Attached Files:

• Hmm.png
      Hmm.png
      File size:
      27.9 KB
      Views:
  22. macrumors newbie

Well, the package doesn't really contain files to install. Everything happens in the postinstall script: "./Tools/injectfse ./Tools/DeferredInstallFixup.file_list"

This seems to generate fake fsevents for the files listed in DeferredInstallFixup.file_list. I didn't look closer at that but I guess it's done to guarantee current versions of those files get pushed on the TimeMachine backup.

23. macrumors 6502

Just an FYI, command+shift+4, space bar, select window to screenshot. Makes much sexier screenshots. ;)

Attached Files:

24. macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Understood, but it doesn't make sense that a half a meg update has to be in a 23MB DMG.

25. Ves
    macrumors member

Ves

Just had a scare. After it updated and I waited 5 minutes before rebooting it got stuck after restarting. It kept doing this 6 times before eventually 'breaking through' and starting normally. Weird thing before this happened. I her a loud noise.