Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

imac_mountain_lion_thumbnail.jpg
Apple has released an update for recently released Mac systems that improves compatibility when using 5GHz Wi-Fi frequencies. The update is recommended for all "late 2012" Macs.

Mac Wi-Fi Update 1.0 can be downloaded from Apple's support site or through the Mac App Store on affected Macs.
About Mac Wi-Fi Update 1.0

This update is recommended for all late 2012 Mac systems. This update improves compatibility when using the 5GHz band in Wi-Fi.

Boot ROM or SMC Version Information: To confirm the update has been applied, the CFBundleVersion string of the AirPortBrcm4311.kext will need to be checked.

New driver delivered in update: AirPortBrcm4331.kext CFBundleVersion = 612.20.15

Article Link: Apple Releases 'Mac Wi-Fi Update 1.0' to Fix 5GHz Wi-Fi Issue

Codyak

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
DC
Definitely noticed some weird issues with the 15" rMBP, but I don't see the update. :(

gank41

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2008
What about the rest of us?

I've been getting VERY poor speeds, if it will even stay connected at all.. I'm on a mid 2010 MBP 2.66 GHz i7.. I've been thinking it was my ISP, but after much testing, it's just my MBP..

Matt T

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2005
Australia
What about the 2011 models, Apple? My iMac can't stay connected to a 5GHz network for more than a few minutes and then can't even find them.

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
haha just got trolled after reading this.

Opens MAC see 1 update, thinking wtf did you guys say it was late 2012 mac's???
click over, just HardwareGrowler

Alpha male

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
my late-2009 iMac has serious WiFi issues as well.... always cannot find WiFi at home, even though my late-2011 MBP finds it just fine even if right beside it

:(

IzzyJG99

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
my late-2009 iMac has serious WiFi issues as well.... always cannot find WiFi at home, even though my late-2011 MBP finds it just fine even if right beside it

:(

My late 2009 iMac had problems as well. It didn't have problems until I bought the first Airport Express to feature 802.11n about a year and a half ago. Then I moved and bought a new, up to date most recent model Airport Express and now the speeds are fine and no drops. I think there's some issues with certain past Airport Express units. Chipsets or something. I don't know.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
We've been having terrible trouble since updating one of our iMacs and our Mac Pro to mountain lion with Wifi drop outs continuous throughout the day, bordering on the frustratingly annoying.

I have done every single solution found on the Internet and posted in forums to solve it but nothing has done so. The same macs work perfectly when in Bootcamp so clearly its a software issue.

Judging by the amount of similar posts I've found on here and Apple's support site, its clear ML does some funky **** to wifi. Therefore I was really hopeful when I saw they had released a wifi update and then left with sore nuts after seeing it was for 2012 macs only.

Apples support and attitude for older machines is starting to become very poor. Especially considering I paid over €4k at the time for my MacPro setup, and can't even get software with working wifi from Apple in 2012 :(

As Jim from the Royle Family would say 'professional, my ar5e'....

zObsidian

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2010
I have a 2012 MacBook Air with frequent wireless drops on both 2.4 and especially on the 5GHz bands. It's annoying, and this update feels a bit like I'm being excluded.

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
We've been having terrible trouble since updating one of our iMacs and our Mac Pro to mountain lion with Wifi drop outs continuous throughout the day, bordering on the frustratingly annoying.

I guess this is the vaunted "tight integration between hardware and software" in action...

Remember all those problems Dual band n stations caused Tiger users ( https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2248347?threadID=2248347 )? Guess what: Still no fix, just a workaround.

RGDS,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.