Apple Releases MobileMe Gallery App

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by anjinha, Jan 14, 2010.

1. macrumors 604

anjinha

Now in the App Store [link]

2. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Thanks, I've been waiting for something like this. :)

3. macrumors bot

MacRumors

Apple Releases MobileMe Gallery App

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Apple released a new app today that allows MobileMe subscribers to view their uploaded photo galleries. The app also allows MobileMe users to share links to their galleries with others via email and view the galleries of other MobileMe members.

[​IMG]

The app is free [App Store link] and requires an active MobileMe subscription to use.

Article Link: Apple Releases MobileMe Gallery App

4. macrumors 68040

queshy

Nice app. Were the web galleries not viewable from Safari before?

5. macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

Great this will be ace for posting tour photos.

6. macrumors 65816

zombitronic

I don't use MobileMe, but I like the look of this app. I'd really like a similar mobile iPhoto app.

7. macrumors 68000

crees!

I'm copy/pasting my mile long password from 1Password and the app keeps saying "The member name or password you entered is incorrect" Anyone else getting this?

8. macrumors 6502a

vincebio

holymoly...about time...

but who in the hell designed the icon?

its frickin aweful!!!!

9. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Very un-Apple like.

10. macrumors 6502

The galleries were viewable in Safari on the iPhone, but that's it. you couldn't send a link to anyone from there or anything else.
    I'll be checking this app out. it may be easier to send out invites to view my galleries via this app then within the actual MobileMe site :eek::)

edited to add: yeah the icon is terrible. i don't usually pay attention to stuff like that, but this looks really bad. Certainly no visual reminder that this is my MobileMe Gallery :confused:

11. macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

er, Photos, is an app already on the iphone that syncs to iphoto.

12. macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Black UI = New iPhone will have OLED.

13. macrumors 6502

Same here. Although, I'm not cutting or pasting, and just trying to enter my information, and I get the same error message as you do. Something is wrong.

14. macrumors 6502a

malnar

Why?

Why a separate app for this? Why wasn't this functionality built into the MobileMe app, since anyone using it would need access to MobileMe too? This just seems redundant. It was needed, obviously, but to need two apps to properly take advantage of MobileMe is pretty annoying.

15. macrumors 6502

I'm not using one password or anything like that. Entered my account name and password in and it's working fine for me.

I like the black UI :) and i like the scrolling of all of your pics at the top of the app. I think I will put this app to good use :)

16. macrumors 601

jaw04005

Why don’t they just build this into the photos app? Or at least just offer a MobileMe app (which includes the iDisk and Gallery app)?

I begrudgingly renew MobileMe every year for Mac-to-Mac contact/calendar/bookmark syncing and my .Mac e-mail address, which I’ve had since the first day iTools was announced. :(

17. macrumors 6502

I have to agree with that. Seems like just 1 MobileMe app would suffice OR... just let us access the actual site from our iPhones via MobileSafari.

18. macrumors 65816

zombitronic

Photos does not give you events, smart folders, places, faces, etc...

19. macrumors 601

jaw04005

Exactly. What was that new javascript architecture Gruber was talking about that makes a Web site look and work just like an actual app? PastryKit?

They should just do a PastryKit version of Me.com.

While they’re at it, I would like to access my MobileMe-linked AirDisk that’s connected to my AirPort Base Station via www.me.com.

20. macrumors 65816

wackymacky

I agree too.

Surley it could be written in to the iphone OS for those (poor fools like me,) who use MobileMe to have the native features on the phone directly fuction with MM.

... And the icon. What the??? On MobileMe site they use the Photos App (sunflower) icon, but we know have a silly ship?

21. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

As do I. I think Apple has big plans for MM which will include the mythical tablet, or what I call the iPod slate.

22. NAG
    macrumors 68030

NAG

Nice app and it is much better than the web interface (you can even configure mobile safari to automatically open the app). Still, I also wonder why they just didn't update the default photo app to have this functionality. It seems a tad redundant (kind of like a separate app for gmail). However, I'm happy that Apple doesn't seem to be completely ignoring MobileMe (dotmac stagnated fairly quickly after the free to pay service transition even though they promised regular service updates).

23. macrumors 68000

rorschach

It's a great start but I hope they add more functionality to it. For example, why I can't I take a picture from within the app and upload it right there? (I realize you can do it in the Camera app, and then upload it there but still.) Also, hopefully they add the ability to create/edit albums too.

There's also a bug (hopefully not a feature) where viewing portrait videos taken on an iPhone can only be viewed in landscape (you can't rotate them).

24. macrumors 601

jaw04005

Haha. Yeah, Sure. :D

Haven’t we been hoping for that since .Mac was launched? We’re suckers, rdowns, plain and simple. :)

25. macrumors 6502a

It should be bundled with idisk or in photo app in the iphone... But seriously can someone can explain what's the difference between idisk and mobile me gallery? And what's better?