Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NeuralControl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2009
But seriously can someone can explain what's the difference between idisk and mobile me gallery? And what's better?

iDisk is the online storage MobileMe customers receive. The MobileMe gallery is a web gallery for pictures and videos.

martint84

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2009
Login and everything is working fine for me (copied from 1password). I don't think I've seen this mentioned here yet:

There's a button to add a friend. I think this app is more for sharing pictures with friends than it is to just have access to your own online gallery. Now if only some of my other friends would pony up and get MobileMe. Maybe the tablet will help with that.

jmlg

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2007
Peoria, AZ
iChat hint?

So, maybe I am way off, but dont the blue dots next to someones name correspond to that person being on iChat (on a Mac?) Is this a subtle hint that we will finally get iChat in iPhone 4.0 software?

Attachments

• 125222-gallery-app-2.jpeg
    125222-gallery-app-2.jpeg
    18 KB · Views: 418

philMBP

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2007
Why a separate app for this? Why wasn't this functionality built into the MobileMe app, since anyone using it would need access to MobileMe too? This just seems redundant. It was needed, obviously, but to need two apps to properly take advantage of MobileMe is pretty annoying.

There is no such thing as a MobileMe app.

Prints

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2002
beautiful new mexico
this doesn't work !!

I'm putting in my name and password and I get the same error message. Something is broken... so frustrating !!
any ideas of how to solve this problem ??

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
An all-in-one MobileMe app doesn't make any kind of sense. MobileMe integration is built into other apps: MobileMe mail is in Mail, MobileMe contacts are in Contacts, and so on. iDisk has its own separate app because there's no file-system browser in iPhone; if there was, iDisk functionality would belong in it. What makes the most sense is to add deeper MobileMe integration to Photos, to merge the MobileMe Gallery app functionality into it. However, in the interim, this is a nice app. It works well, the price is right, and it closes what had been something of a gap. So, I have no complaints.

aucl

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2009
Moscow
Why a separate app for this? Why wasn't this functionality built into the MobileMe app, since anyone using it would need access to MobileMe too? This just seems redundant. It was needed, obviously, but to need two apps to properly take advantage of MobileMe is pretty annoying.

there is no mobile me app. there is only an iDisk.app.

the really annoying thing in my eyes is that the login/password from the system are not taken. on OSx putting it once in the system preferences and the deal is done, but on iphone it has to be done once for mail/calendar/address book, then again for iDisk, and again for gallery now :(
it feels like it is changing pictures a bit faster than with the Photos.app when swiping a bit over photo borders.

besides this little additional typing i like the app so far. looks smooth.

the only 3 reasons i can why they made it separate apps are:
  • preinstalled apps are on another (readonly) partition, and can only be installed using firmware updates.
  • they do not wanna have to add support for flickr, picasa, etc. like for mail or calendar
  • it is not for the wide audience of iPhone/iTouch users. They might have learned that it annoys people more when they need a paid service to do something, than when it is not possible. :cool:

in 3 weeks we will see a picasa.app maybe?

aucl

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2009
Moscow
I have to agree with that. Seems like just 1 MobileMe app would suffice OR... just let us access the actual site from our iPhones via MobileSafari.

it was possible to browse it in mobile safari, and i guess it still is :)confused:)

aucl

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2009
Moscow
Exactly. What was that new javascript architecture Gruber was talking about that makes a Web site look and work just like an actual app? PastryKit?

They should just do a PastryKit version of Me.com.

While they’re at it, I would like to access my MobileMe-linked AirDisk that’s connected to my AirPort Base Station via http://www.me.com.

check it: http://gallery.me.com/aucl iphone optimized when watching it in mobile safari, it is possible to save it as link to the home screen. just the url bar hiding and so was not done for some strange reason.

aucl

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2009
Moscow
So, maybe I am way off, but dont the blue dots next to someones name correspond to that person being on iChat (on a Mac?) Is this a subtle hint that we will finally get iChat in iPhone 4.0 software?

nice, yes it would be nice;
... but on the other hand, blue markers are used when there are new photos that appeared since the last visit. (green/red) dors are for iChat.

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
An all-in-one MobileMe app doesn't make any kind of sense. MobileMe integration is built into other apps: MobileMe mail is in Mail, MobileMe contacts are in Contacts, and so on. iDisk has its own separate app because there's no file-system browser in iPhone; if there was, iDisk functionality would belong in it. What makes the most sense is to add deeper MobileMe integration to Photos, to merge the MobileMe Gallery app functionality into it. However, in the interim, this is a nice app. It works well, the price is right, and it closes what had been something of a gap. So, I have no complaints.

I wanted to disagree with you but you're right. In every single word. My only problem is that it doesn't feel speedy swiping between photos.

aucl

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2009
Moscow
Since I am sure the right guys at Apple will read it, I will post it here:
Thank You all very much for bringing that to us!

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Does anyone have issues with resolution? Is it dynamic (scaled/reduced size picture when over GPRS/Edge/3G vs full size on wifi)?

It seems Apple has had a subtle shift in how it does things recently - it's been putting out minor additions, testing waters, adding things without being part of big updates (see the iTunes Web update, the Apple website design changes to be tablet friendly...).

MobileMe could *easily* be a portal into a DisneyChest video / media connection for a tablet. Boom - instant local storage of some, with MobileMe carrying the rest to sync when you want it - BacktoMyMobileMe content if you will.

Tablet = OS 4.0 preview, OS 4.0 SDK out a bit after announcement, ATV update then possible also. Front Row changes, DisneyChest iTunes video announcements etc.

Big stuff ahead - Apple imo is going to attempt to be 1st before DECE this year. Tablet brings the books, apps, video (and cross platform compatibility/viewing it brings (you pause at position A on a movie, and you can pick it up on your laptop/phone etc) along with data being accessible across you MacBook, iPhone/Touch and tablet.

They got burned over MobileMe - I'd imagine they're not ever going in the near future want to have that happen - they may well stagger the updates for MobileMe specifically to make sure this doesn't happen.

Bringing it back to the MobileMe Gallery -
In the context of a Tablet, this is awesome. I'd imagine video and photo's to shine. (As will Tablet Facebook app!)

That thing about sharing video, pictures with your Granny? The tablet is that device.

aucl

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2009
Moscow
Does anyone have issues with resolution? Is it dynamic (scaled/reduced size picture when over GPRS/Edge/3G vs full size on wifi)?

It feels it is the same 2 resolutions you get when having photos in Photos.app. After zooming in it is getting sharper after downloading the higher res. image.

ItsGavinC

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007

The blue dot means what it has always meant on the iPhone: new content. Those "friends" have new photos in their galleries that have not yet been viewed.

Same as the blue dot in mail, iPod app, messaging app, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.