Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleMark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The CCTV Capital of the World
I didn't miss your point... Talk practical and not trash... A healthy argument is worth it...

Like you said make tea in a tea pot made of chocolate, it is as trash as asking some to make a phone of cloth or grass... So talk feasible and sense... Just don't go spewing nonsense for the sake of argument...

You are clearly the person here talking trash and not me. If you actually bothered to read the post I was replying to it may (or perhaps not...) made sense to you.

My comment was in reply to the post "Design is what makes it work. Design makes it beautiful. Material is immaterial."

Material is very important. This sort of talk is what I have come to expect (and sometimes love) from designers. I spent the early part of my engineering career doing one of two things when working with them.

1. Wasting hours/days and causing delay's to projects trying to get the designers to see that practical function has equal merit and not just the design.

or

2. Letting the designers do as they wish, then wasting hours/days correcting the problems of design over function.

That was the reason for my comment, which as you can see has far more basis than your mindless rant I am replying to. In fact it is a common expression and I have never heard and still do not understand your grass iPhone nonsense etc, or what it has to do with my post about the importance of material selection.

And I suspect, neither do you... Happy spewing.. LOL

----------

So instead of last year's model at $99, you can buy an all-new (slightly improved in many respects) model for $99. Is that a bad thing?

From my perspective, yes.

As I do not feel the 5C is improved in respect of the design over the 5. This is confirmed by the fact Apple are selling the 5S as a premium product with very minor exterior changes over the one made obsolete to make room for the 5C?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I seem to remember reading a lot of posts in the alternatives forum about how plastic wasn't a premium material because it felt cheap. It didn't matter if it was actually easily broken, it just 'felt cheap'.

I'm assuming the 5c will feel cheap as well, yes?

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
I seem to remember reading a lot of posts in the alternatives forum about how plastic wasn't a premium material because it felt cheap. It didn't matter if it was actually easily broken, it just 'felt cheap'.

I'm assuming the 5c will feel cheap as well, yes?

probably a lot less cheap than an iphone wrapped in a $10 case.

dunno, my phone has a (literally) $0.99 bumper on there that's rubber and plastic. and I'm telling you, the phone feels no less cheap than if the bumper was removed.

I don't think a single element of a multi-material object constitutes a cheap or not cheap feeling. it's the whole package with other factors such as heft, usability/ ease of use, function, solidity, etc

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

dunno, my phone has a (literally) $0.99 bumper on there that's rubber and plastic. and I'm telling you, the phone feels no less cheap than if the bumper was removed.

I don't think a single element of a multi-material object constitutes a cheap or not cheap feeling. it's the whole package with other factors such as heft, usability/ ease of use, function, solidity, etc

Same here.

I just think it's amazing that when Samsung uses plastic... it's "cheap" and when Apple does it we're talking about "premium plastic". I have to agree with the thing about the 10$ case, by the way.

I wonder if people are going to case their plastic iPhone in more plastic?

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004

I never understood all the people that would buy an expensive and beautiful iPhone just to wrap it in a case, ANY case.

I use my 4S naked, even if I am wary of breaking it.

But the 5C is expensive for what it looks like, even if you're a case person.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
So obviously your phone is under warranty or you have paid for Apple Care to do that then? Because when it's out of warranty, you suddenly cannot replace a phone for free, unsurprisingly.

Actually, I didn't pay for a warranty.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
I never understood all the people that would buy an expensive and beautiful iPhone just to wrap it in a case, ANY case.

I wish I could have done that with my 4s, it looks so nice as is and a case kind of ruins the look of the phone. However the phone is so smooth I worry about dropping it even though I have never dropped a cell phone yet with no case that could be a lot easier to do.

xensaenigma

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2013
That's a decent ad, as far as marketing goes. It shows off the look of the phone and has a pretty upbeat vibe to it. The 5C isn't my thing but I can see a lot of people buying it.

What I'd like is a way to tone down colours, like on OS X with the graphite theme. I don't dislike colour but I do like things to be subtle.

I hope Apple does extremely well regardless of the colour debate.

Johns12

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2008
Yes....., and so was my first Mac. My first Apple Laptop, my first iPod and indeed my iPhone but that is not the point.

Apple has put itself on a pedestal and has traded on the reputation of quality design, build quality and innovation. I personally have never had an issue with paying more for something that looks and feels like a quality product in the current market.

For the price, form and function, this is not what I have come to expect and is something I would not consider purchasing.

What Jony should be saying is "we are unapologetically, not going to continue to make the iPhone 5 and knock $100 of the price. Instead we are going to make it out of plastic, to mitigate this loss in profit" If they are going to be "unapologetic" about anything they should at least be honest and tell the truth, rather than try to hood wink everybody into believing that calling Plastic, Polycarbonate is innovation.

Come to think of it, we should have really seen the signs..... The new Mac Pro is made of plastic, not aluminium any more.

With that in mind, I am not looking forwards to future iMac and Laptop launches.

They will probably roll out Mr Jony to start mumbling on [uncomfortably] about how they have reinvented plastic and then knock $50 off the price off the aluminium ones (if we are lucky). At worse and if the RDF is in full effect and they get away with the 5C, they will most likely be charging us more, claiming to be saving the planet and saving precious metal's in the process of increasing their company value.

Did I mention I think plastic is a step backwards..? ;)

The new Mac Pro is not made out of plastic.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity

well, you're half way there then by admitting that at least.. i mean most, by far, do put a case on their phones.. just because you don't or can't understand it doesn't mean the majority of people are idiots.

----------

Same here.

I just think it's amazing that when Samsung uses plastic... it's "cheap" and when Apple does it we're talking about "premium plastic". I have to agree with the thing about the 10$ case, by the way.

I wonder if people are going to case their plastic iPhone in more plastic?

you're really wondering that? i'm sure youve seen these already, right?

iphone-5c-cases-backs-20130910.jpg

Nahaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2010
Australia
:confused:

Not at all. Whatever gave you that idea?

You did, as you considered the price of the 5c to be valid, as you would pay for something that can look good in an inferior material, compared to what they use to make before at the roughly the same price.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
You did, as you considered the price of the 5c to be valid, as you would pay for something that can look good in an inferior material, compared to what they use to make before at the roughly the same price.

How on earth did you infer all that?

"Inferior" can be a very subjective term. Some people might regard plastic as inferior aesthetically for a phone. And that's okay. I accept that. It's a subjective judgement - so everybody gets to be right (even if they can't convince everybody else :) )

On the other hand, I wouldn't necessarily regard all plastic as functionally inferior for a phone. Certain types of plastic, perhaps.

Last edited:

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity

you're talking as if there's only one grade of plastic and it's the same as a plastic spoon.

dunno, in my work, i offer various sheeting materials for the final product.. birch, steel, & plastic..

the plastic (it's a phenolic resin) is by far the most durable and functional.. it's also the most expensive (almost 2x steel costs and 3x wood).. i'm really not sure how you're claiming (all) plastic is an inferior material.

inferior in what ways? can you list the reasons why it's inferior or are you just making some sort of blanket statement with no logical reasoning behind it?

Nahaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2010
Australia
inferior in what ways? can you list the reasons why it's inferior or are you just making some sort of blanket statement with no logical reasoning behind it?

My main point was about the price of what is basically a 1 year old iPhone 5 in a poly-carbonate body. It's not their flagship phone, even though some might say it is. If it was then add everything the 5c has going for it and throw it in the plastic body. For only a small price difference of about $100-$140 you may as well go the 5s. You're already paying a premium price.

I still prefer the iPhone 4/4s body, but each to their own. I find the glass easier to clean in some environments unlike polycarbonate which can react with some cleaning products. As a product that is being used over and over again, I will be interested to see how it holds up against staining, as polycarbonate is usually porous as well. I could mention scratching etc, but my original post was leaning towards the phones price. It just ended up down this path

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.