Apple Releases New Sandy Bridge Mac Minis and Thunderbolt Display

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 20, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Apple today released an update to its Mac mini line, bringing Intel's Sandy Bridge platform to the diminutive desktop computer along with new support for the Thunderbolt connectivity standard being pushed by Apple and Intel. The new Mac mini lineup consists of two standard stock configurations alongside a "server" model. Notably, all models drop the optical disc in favor of an optional external SuperDrive.

Standard models
    - 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 500 GB hard drive, 2 GB RAM: $599
    - 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 500 GB hard drive, 4 GB RAM: $799

Server model
    - 2.0 GHz, dual 500 GB hard drives, 4 GB RAM: $999

Additional build-to-order options include an upgrade to 8 GB of RAM, up to 750 GB hard drives, and an external SuperDrive. The high-end standard model and the server model can also be configured with one (standard) or two (server) 256 GB solid-state drives.
    All Mac mini models ship with OS X Lion pre-installed.

[​IMG]

Alongside the new Mac mini models, Apple also announced a new Apple Thunderbolt Display. Appearing nearly identical to the previous 27-inch LED Cinema Display, the primary upgrade to Apple's sole standalone display offering is Thunderbolt compatibility, enabling the device to be used within daisy-chained configurations of the new high-speed data and display connectivity standard. With the new standard, users can for the first time run two displays off of a single Thunderbolt port on Macs offering enough graphics horsepower to support the pixel load.

[​IMG]

The upgrade to Thunderbolt also allows Apple to turn the display into an "ultimate docking station", with the new display now offering a built-in FaceTime HD camera, 2.1 speaker system, three USB ports, one Firewire 800 port, one Gigabit Ethernet port, and a second Thunderbolt port to enable daisy chaining. An integrated MagSafe cable for powering connected notebook computers also continues to be offered.
    Images of the new Thunderbolt-enabled LED Cinema Display leaked on Apple's site late last week, foreshadowing their arrival alongside the Mac minis that do not ship with an included display. The new LED Cinema Display will be available within the next 60 days and is priced at $999.

Article Link: Apple Releases New Sandy Bridge Mac Minis and Thunderbolt Display

2. miniroll32, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

macrumors 6502a

miniroll32

Quote from the Mac Mini's product page:

"Mac mini is designed without an optical disc drive. Because these days, you don’t need one. It’s easier than ever to download music and films from the iTunes Store. And you can download apps from the Mac App Store with a click."

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL... Yeah, right Apple. The Mac Mini is a 'hub' with HDMI, yet it can't even play DVD's? Rip CD's? And whats the point of having Boot Camp when you can't use a Windows disc?

Epic. Fail.

3. arian19, Jul 20, 2011

macrumors 6502

Well, I hope by removing the CD drive... and adding more storage... will allow them to finally put the Welcome Video back haha jk

4. macrumors 6502

Actually I'm happy to see the optical drive go, but SSD should have being standard.

5. macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Are we sure about this ? The tech specs say there's only 1 Thunderbolt port :

How can you daisy chain them if there's no second port ?

6. macrumors 6502

It is absolutely insane that this doesn't have any optical drive! I would have considered getting a mini if it had a drive.

7. macrumors 65816

Nice you can get a SSD installed, not so nice a Mac Mini with SSD is $600 more!

Going to have to chase down that new ATI chip and see what it does

8. macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

They killed the MacBook.

9. macrumors 68000

Upgraded mini has discrete graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6630M

10. macrumors 6502

Not that fazed by no DVD drive, but doesn't make a lot of sense if you wanted to use it as a media centre.

Does anyone know if the new AMD Radeon HD 6630M can handle blue ray rips and 1080P video?

11. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

It also has a built in thunderbolt cable, plus the port.

arn

12. talkingfuture, Jul 20, 2011

macrumors 65816

talkingfuture

Looks like the optical drives days are nearly over then.

I like the option of 750 HD and 256 SSD and the better graphics on the top one.

13. macrumors regular

Well no optical drive means I won't get a mini, plus was hoping for at least a GFX card to match the MBP

Kimbie

14. macrumors member

The Mac mini is a solid base computer and the high end is really nice. Most people dont need quad cores

15. macrumors 6502a

So I'm guessing the new 27" ACD with TB won't work with older Mac's that have the Mini DisplayPort?

16. macrumors 65816

Discrete Graphics

Major Bonus - Discrete Graphics - AMD Radeon HD 6630M

Win++.

Only on the $799 model though.

The 6630M has 480 shaders running at 485 MHz. Also I don't know why they've only given is 256MB of RAM.

17. macrumors regular

18. macrumors member

It's nice to have the 6630M in the high end Mac Mini, but where is the quad core CPU option?? They should not make the quad core exclusive to the Server version.

19. macrumors G4

daneoni

Why get rid of the optical drive on a desktop/media computer :confused:. It's not like it didn't fit in the enclosure to begin with. I'm so glad i got a 2011 MBP. I think it's all but certain they'll be next in line for an ODD excision.

20. macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

It's obvious that Apple is moving to an all digital future. And to be honest, whatever apple does usually happens.

I am actually happy about that, I hate having to deal with DVD's, cd's, etc...

Much easier to download and backup on a hard drive these days.

21. macrumors newbie

Bye Bye White Macbook

I should have known not to buy a white macbook yesterday!!!!!!!!!:mad::apple::mad::apple::mad::apple::eek:

22. macrumors 6502a

DrJohnnyN

23. macrumors 6502

OmegaRed1723

Discrete graphics! I can't stop cackling over here! Where is my debit card?!?!? Ahahahahaahahaha!!!

24. macrumors 6502a

DrJohnnyN

You can return it.

25. macrumors 68000

i couldnt ever buy a mini based on performance anyway but no optical drive? it makes me think how many college textbooks are out there with a cd in the back. kind of making it hard for anyone with serious work to buy one apple