Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RBR2

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2003
Are we sure about this ? The tech specs say there's only 1 Thunderbolt port :

How can you daisy chain them if there's no second port ?

You are supposed to be able to "daisy chain" up to 7 TB devices off of a single port, much like Firewire devices can be. The limitation is that the bandwidth is shared by all seven devices.

CortexRock

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2006
Canterbury, England
Guessing this is a typo but...

£529? Yes please! :confused:

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-07-20 at 14.31.04.png
    Screen shot 2011-07-20 at 14.31.04.png
    170.7 KB · Views: 328

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
Why do you need an optical drive? Answer: you don't.

And if you do, the Mini is not targeted at you.

Well I guess it will allow Apple to pad their bottom line as I bet quite a few people will now have to get the external drive.

Talk about a great way of burying a $80 price bump.

So the base model not only lost its optical drive it kept its price? I am to believe that adding Tbolt to it is worth that?

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Cmon Apple, what the hell are you doing?!? I know you led the way with the removal of the 3.5" floppy but really, no drive? This is just a way to force people to buy off the itunes store, which doesnt have everything on there at all! I think Apple has done this a few years too early imo.

Im so disappointed. I have been an Apple fan and user for a long time. If this keeps up, im going to make my own boutique computer and use unix.

Sad.

Force people ? They didn't remove the USB ports last I checked. USB DVD drives exist and are cheap too. Come on people, not the end of the world and a move that we all saw coming last year.

Talk about a great way of burying a $80 price bump.

Don't get the Apple superdrive, it's overpriced. Much cheaper drives that offer all the same capabilities out there. Shop around.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
And, I might be wrong, but for Canada I think there was a price drop too? Those are always good! :)

Screen captures from the Canadian Apple store:

Attachments

• Mac mini 9400M prices.png
    Mac mini 9400M prices.png
    82.9 KB · Views: 292
  • Mac mini 320m Canadian prices.png
    Mac mini 320m Canadian prices.png
    57.4 KB · Views: 270
  • Mac mini Radeon 6630M prices.png
    Mac mini Radeon 6630M prices.png
    50.3 KB · Views: 255

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
You are supposed to be able to "daisy chain" up to 7 TB devices off of a single port, much like Firewire devices can be. The limitation is that the bandwidth is shared by all seven devices.

That completely fails to answer the question I asked. Thankfully, Arn did by pointing out that a TB cable was built-in.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
It is absolutely insane that this doesn't have any optical drive!

"Somehow, 'I told you so' just doesn't quite say it." -- Will Smith in I, Robot

I know that some idiots have called me an Apple hating troll for openly speaking my mind about rather obvious facts in the past, but I've been predicting this next logical step for Apple since the Mac App Store was announced.

That Apple is now shipping Macs without built-in optical drives is completely unsurprising, what is so hard to understand here? DVD and BluRay sales hurt Apple, plain and simple. You're supposed to download all your content from iTunes where Apple gets at least a 30% share of everything. If you still refuse to pay the Apple tax and want an optical drive, you have to put more money on the table for an external DVD drive.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
Apple! Thank you for the price drop...

the old model started at 709€ (in Germany).

599€ is much better!!!!!

THANK YOU for giving us a reasonable priced option.

:D

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
It's obvious that Apple is moving to an all digital future. And to be honest, whatever apple does usually happens.

I am actually happy about that, I hate having to deal with DVD's, cd's, etc...

Much easier to download and backup on a hard drive these days.

Problem is, not all of us use our computers/optical drives for "traditional purposes" like software installs or backups. Like just yesterday, I needed to slipstream SP3 into a retail copy of XP Pro, which required a DVD so I could burn an ISO. Apple doesn't know what I'm going to be using my computer for, so the best thing they can do is give me all the tools I could possibly need (especially in a DESKTOP computer) so I can use them as needed.

ryanide

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
DVD sharing?

I wonder if you will be able to share a DVD drive from another computer on your network, like the way the Air does?

ma2ha3

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2007
hey apple
you expect me to buy os x lion
and use the 3200x2000 desktop display on your puny little 27 inch led monitor, it is so small, i would not even touch, give me your 3200x2000 now. now. now. my dell 30 inch need an upgrade , not an downgrade.

RBR2

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2003
Why get rid of the optical drive on a desktop/media computer :confused:. It's not like it didn't fit in the enclosure to begin with. I'm so glad i got a 2011 MBP. I think it's all but certain they'll be next in line for an ODD excision.

You would have to ask Steve to be sure, but I think it is a combination of being able to use the interior volume for other things, like better graphics and cost, the thinking being that the majority of customers would not care and those who did would simply attach an external optical drive...no big deal.

It is a trade-off I think worthwhile. I have been using external optical drives for some time now anyway.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
Not that fazed by no DVD drive, but doesn't make a lot of sense if you wanted to use it as a media centre.

Does anyone know if the new AMD Radeon HD 6630M can handle blue ray rips and 1080P video?

Anyone spending money on a media center in 2011 should plan on ripping their DVDs. In the media center, it is much better to allocate that space to more storage.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Funny that MR didn't mention i7 in the top model. Or that video out is now HDMI (with included adapter to DVI, obviously TB can be used for monitor as well but I assume that will be a tiny fraction for a long time).

Decent machine now although still a bit overpriced compared to alternatives. i7 with thunderbolt external drives makes this machine a pretty powerful one. Is 8 gigs the limit on ram? That's probably the biggest limitation keeping this from doing really demanding work now.

I'd love to see apple make the form factor a bit bigger so it could use all desktop parts and more ram slots. But apple is still obsessed with style over substance.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Quote from the Mac Mini's product page:

"Mac mini is designed without an optical disc drive. Because these days, you don’t need one. It’s easier than ever to download music and films from the iTunes Store. And you can download apps from the Mac App Store with a click."

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL... Yeah, right Apple. The Mac Mini is a 'hub' with HDMI, yet it can't even play DVD's? Rip CD's? And whats the point of having Boot Camp when you can't use a Windows disc?

Epic. Fail.

do you know how long it has been since i've used a CD to set up Windows? years. USB stick and network share iso files all the way

GorgonPhone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2010
Quote from the Mac Mini's product page:

"Mac mini is designed without an optical disc drive. Because these days, you don’t need one. It’s easier than ever to download music and films from the iTunes Store. And you can download apps from the Mac App Store with a click."

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL... Yeah, right Apple. The Mac Mini is a 'hub' with HDMI, yet it can't even play DVD's? Rip CD's? And whats the point of having Boot Camp when you can't use a Windows disc?

Epic. Fail.

you are right so im happy i have my last gen model with the super drive.lol they want you to spend more money on the mac book air super drive addon..lol

dazzer21

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
This one has me scratching my chin a bit... For as long as CD/DVD media is prevalent in society, I don't see why Apple would feel the need to ditch support for it completely! I can see how it could be deemed unnecessary on a laptop, a la the MacBook Air (can't remember the last time I ever needed it while on the road) but I think for a desktop, it's a bit of an unnecessary move.

After all, the form factor is no different. And Apple might say that there is an external drive option, but I don't think it's anything like the 'compact and convenient' solution that they think it is.

How am I supposed to *stream* my current library of CDs and DVDs to a Mac Mini?

Sure it's an elegant looking machine, maybe a tad expensive and lacking in areas (2GB RAM is a little mean and as there's momentum towards switching to flash RAM, I think that whatever drives are offered as alternative/complimentary hardware, they should ALL be 7200 RPM).

Mini, Mouse, Keyboard, Superdrive... all adds up!

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Off to the Apple sore to get me a NEW base Mini to use as a Lion sever once Lion is finished installing on my iMac!!!

WHAT A DAY!!!!!!!!! :apple: :D

Torrijos

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
The high en model price is a little steep though...

Lets see on one side :
The high end mac mini (i7) with a thunderbolt display, a SSD drive, a superdrive (for the luddites) and applecare (mandatory people !) -> 2726$

Then a entry level 27 inch iMac (i5 but quad core) with 256 GB SSD, better graphics and applecare -> 2368$

Sure the TB display will last longer that any computer, but still it doesn't feel right to have the mini being this overpriced because Apple charges an arm and a leg for SSD.

If only they would have taken a risk putting 128GB SSD and no hard drives, maybe they even could have seen enough thermal gain to put better discreet graphics, while leaving those looking for greater mass storage capacities for a TB peripheral.

URFloorMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
Washington, D.C.
Odds that the Spring 2012 MacBook Pro refresh (which is rumored to be a design refresh) carries a disc drive? Getting close to zero.

If you want one, better buy the 2011 model.

RBR2

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2003
That completely fails to answer the question I asked. Thankfully, Arn did by pointing out that a TB cable was built-in.

I mistakenly thought you knew what daisy chaining was. There is a second port on the TB device that you use to connect the next TB device to. The devices are connected to each other and only one is connected to the Mac. You only need one port on the Mac to do that.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
A little disappointed about the lack of Superdrive, but the reality is in the year I've had my current Mini i've used it probably 10 times. The 2gb is an insult, but I'll probably update to 8gb from Crucial anyway.

Happy with the better price. I paid £649 last year, then we had a price cut, then vat rise.

Sad to see the Macbook go, the replacement isn't really a true replacement. A laptop you can't upgrade, next model up is the MBP with a horrible glass screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.