Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Just a few days after releasing the iOS 9.3 update, Apple stopped offering it to a selection of older devices including the iPad Air and earlier and the iPhone 5s and earlier due to an activation issue. When the update was pulled, Apple promised to release a new version of iOS 9.3 shortly.

Apple today made good on that promise and has released a new version of iOS 9.3, build 13E237, which is now available for all iOS 9 users with older devices as an over-the-air update or through iTunes. Customers with older devices who had not yet updated to iOS 9.3 will be able to do so now.

activateiphoneerror.jpg

With the first version of iOS 9.3, people with older iOS devices were required to input the Apple ID and password used when originally setting up the device. If the account information could not be recalled, the activation process could stall, rendering the devices inaccessible. To prevent users from installing iOS 9.3, Apple stopped signing the update for several older devices.

Following the release of the new build, Apple has resumed signing iOS 9.3 and the update now asks for current the Apple ID and password linked to the device instead of the original information.

On Thursday night, Apple issued an updated version of iOS 9.3 specifically for the GSM iPad 2, which was afflicted with a separate activation bug that prevented the device from communicating with Apple's activation servers.

Article Link: Apple Releases New Version of iOS 9.3 for Older Devices Affected by Activation Lock Bug

Reactions: 997440

eswank

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2006
NorCal
I'm trying to help a friend who's iPad 2 is stuck with the iCloud login. He doesn't remember any of his information. Reason? I have no clue. And when I mean his information I'm talking about the email he used to send his password or his two verification questions. Is there anyway I can still update his iPad to this new version? When I plug it into iTunes it's asking for his iCloud info with no iPad summary. BTW, I'm deployed in Afghanistan so the download will take about a day or two. So any info or help would be appreciated so I'm not wasting any time or bandwidth if it doesn't work. Thanks.

Explicit Content

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2015
I have an iPhone 5s and iTunes doesn't show me any new update. I am on 9.2.1 right now.

Anyone?

Edit: It's appearing now. Thanks for the huge attention.

Last edited:

StrangeNoises

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011
I still don't understand how people forget their passwords so friggin often...

In my case it's generated by and stored on 1Password, which isn't available on that device until you're properly in, ie: past that activation stage.

I usually just skip it, and did so on my iPad upgrade this time, but for some reason I can't now remember the experience led me to then display it on the iPad so I could type it into my 5s during setup. Maybe as a result my 5s upgrade went smoothly, as I had none of the reported problems.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
I doubt the Safari issue will be fixed in this build. It was only known to Apple today. Anyway, I'm on iOS 9.3 and I cannot update to this new build. (I've also had no issues regarding this Safari issue.)

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
Older devices include iPad 2, iPad mini, iPad mini, iPad 3, iPad 4, iPad Air, iPad mini 2, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPod touch 5G.

If you are not using one of the above listed devices, you will not see this iOS 9.3 update. It's only for devices with the Activation Lock bug.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I doubt the Safari issue will be fixed in this build. It was only known to Apple today. Anyway, I'm on iOS 9.3 and I cannot update to this new build. (I've also had no issues regarding this Safari issue.)
Apple has likely known it for a few days now, but just haven't quite figured it out yet, or at the very least have an update all ready to go just yet (if one is needed).
[doublepost=1459185638][/doublepost]
Does this fix the crashes that occur when attempting to tap on a link in Safari on an iPhone or iPad in iOS 9.2.1 or iOS 9.3?
It doesn't really have anything to do with that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.