Apple Releases New Version of iOS 9.3 for Older Devices Affected by Activation Lock Bug

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 28, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Just a few days after releasing the iOS 9.3 update, Apple stopped offering it to a selection of older devices including the iPad Air and earlier and the iPhone 5s and earlier due to an activation issue. When the update was pulled, Apple promised to release a new version of iOS 9.3 shortly.

Apple today made good on that promise and has released a new version of iOS 9.3, build 13E237, which is now available for all iOS 9 users with older devices as an over-the-air update or through iTunes. Customers with older devices who had not yet updated to iOS 9.3 will be able to do so now.

[​IMG]

With the first version of iOS 9.3, people with older iOS devices were required to input the Apple ID and password used when originally setting up the device. If the account information could not be recalled, the activation process could stall, rendering the devices inaccessible. To prevent users from installing iOS 9.3, Apple stopped signing the update for several older devices.

Following the release of the new build, Apple has resumed signing iOS 9.3 and the update now asks for current the Apple ID and password linked to the device instead of the original information.

On Thursday night, Apple issued an updated version of iOS 9.3 specifically for the GSM iPad 2, which was afflicted with a separate activation bug that prevented the device from communicating with Apple's activation servers.

Article Link: Apple Releases New Version of iOS 9.3 for Older Devices Affected by Activation Lock Bug

2. ielessar macrumors regular

I hope the Safari freezing bug is fixed. Many people are facing this issue.

3. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

Agreed. I'm part of the group.

4. eswank macrumors regular

I'm trying to help a friend who's iPad 2 is stuck with the iCloud login. He doesn't remember any of his information. Reason? I have no clue. And when I mean his information I'm talking about the email he used to send his password or his two verification questions. Is there anyway I can still update his iPad to this new version? When I plug it into iTunes it's asking for his iCloud info with no iPad summary. BTW, I'm deployed in Afghanistan so the download will take about a day or two. So any info or help would be appreciated so I'm not wasting any time or bandwidth if it doesn't work. Thanks.

5. mountain macrumors 6502

mountain

Rule #1 - shouldn't update right away and wait until users report back :)

6. Deeznuts. macrumors 6502

Deeznuts.

7. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

I had to do a hard reboot in order for the an iPhone 6 to complete the upgrade when verifying the update.

8. TheHorrorNerd macrumors regular

I still don't understand how people forget their passwords so friggin often...

9. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

The article says it's for older devices (specifically an iTunes only update for people who got locked out of their iPhones for forgetting their password)

10. Deeznuts. macrumors 6502

Deeznuts.

Mhm I guess so.

11. asv56kx3088 macrumors regular

No update found on iPhone 6 and iPad 3 running 9.3 build 13E233.

12. kch50428 macrumors 6502

kch50428

Because those devices don't get this updated release...

13. Explicit Content, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016

Explicit Content macrumors member

I have an iPhone 5s and iTunes doesn't show me any new update. I am on 9.2.1 right now.

Anyone?

Edit: It's appearing now. Thanks for the huge attention.

14. IvanX macrumors 6502

Hmm, what about those devices on which iOS has already pre-downloaded 9.3? Does Apple have a way of refreshing the build remotely?

15. Dilster3k macrumors 6502a

Dilster3k

7 betas. 7 betas in and this version is still leaking with problems...

16. asv56kx3088 macrumors regular

iPad 3 is one of the "older devices", I think?

17. StrangeNoises macrumors newbie

In my case it's generated by and stored on 1Password, which isn't available on that device until you're properly in, ie: past that activation stage.

I usually just skip it, and did so on my iPad upgrade this time, but for some reason I can't now remember the experience led me to then display it on the iPad so I could type it into my 5s during setup. Maybe as a result my 5s upgrade went smoothly, as I had none of the reported problems.

18. SMIDG3T macrumors 68040

SMIDG3T

I doubt the Safari issue will be fixed in this build. It was only known to Apple today. Anyway, I'm on iOS 9.3 and I cannot update to this new build. (I've also had no issues regarding this Safari issue.)

19. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

Older devices include iPad 2, iPad mini, iPad mini, iPad 3, iPad 4, iPad Air, iPad mini 2, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPod touch 5G.

If you are not using one of the above listed devices, you will not see this iOS 9.3 update. It's only for devices with the Activation Lock bug.

20. Tobias51 macrumors newbie

21. C DM macrumors Penryn

Seems like the issue was with somewhat more than that.

22. zviedrs macrumors newbie

Nope, they have been aware of this for several days. Check the support forums and you will find threads from last week.

23. Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

Does this fix the crashes that occur when attempting to tap on a link in Safari on an iPhone or iPad in iOS 9.2.1 or iOS 9.3?

24. skwood macrumors 6502a

skwood

My guess would be no.

25. C DM macrumors Penryn

Apple has likely known it for a few days now, but just haven't quite figured it out yet, or at the very least have an update all ready to go just yet (if one is needed).
    --- Post Merged, Mar 28, 2016 ---
    It doesn't really have anything to do with that.