Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I just upgraded to 10.10.5 and Blue Tooth no longer functions. There is a crooked line through the blue tooth icon in the top right corner of the desktop and when I click the icon it says "Bluetooth: Not Available". Under System Information for blue tooth it says "No information found". I tried a PRAM and SMC reset to no avail. I also tried a safe boot, no joy. The machine is the most recent version of the 13 inch MBP retina.

Any one else see this or have a fix?

I would suggest giving Apple a call.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
Wait, what? If you go to App Store --> Purchased you can still see all the versions of OS X that you've purchased with your iCloud credentials. When I launch App Store I see Mountain Lion, Mavericks, and Yosemite right there with a "Download" link next to each one. Not sure why anyone would ever torrent what they can re-download for free with a couple of clicks of the mouse...

That is assuming you already purchased it.

I was talking about people who hadn't. In this case it won't appear in the purchases tab.

And after el capitan is released there will be no way to purchase yosemite.

Reactions: loby

AlecZ

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
Berkeley, CA
My 2009 Mac-Mini suffered a dead DVD drive recently. Good thing the drives are really cheap to replace.
I'm having a different issue here that a simple replacement can't fix... I put a second DVD drive in my Mac Pro because the one it came with was having issues ejecting. The new one does too. And they only have issues in the Mac Pro, not when I take them out. Has to do with the casing. I've been unable to boot in the past because of a DVD being stuck in there. It wanted to eject before booting for some reason (it sometimes does that) and couldn't. Mac DVD drives are messed up in so many different ways. Good thing I hardly ever need to use a DVD anymore.

And once, a disc got stuck in my old iMac (RIP) for an entire year, and it kept trying to eject CONSTANTLY. I got used to hearing the repeated eject sound eventually. One day, it popped out while I was using it. Never dared to use the drive again after that.

Last edited:

mpuk

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2015
The Divided United Kingdom
I just upgraded to 10.10.5 and Blue Tooth no longer functions. There is a crooked line through the blue tooth icon in the top right corner of the desktop and when I click the icon it says "Bluetooth: Not Available". Under System Information for blue tooth it says "No information found". I tried a PRAM and SMC reset to no avail. I also tried a safe boot, no joy. The machine is the most recent version of the 13 inch MBP retina.

Any one else see this or have a fix?

I also had this problem but it wasn't related to 10.10.5 (I haven't moved from Mavericks yet). I found this article on fixing Bluetooth and only had to follow the first section to delete the .plist file and power cycle the laptop and it all started working again. Good luck.

http://osxdaily.com/2014/02/17/fix-bluetooth-not-available-error-mac/

Jakerlou

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2015
I did initially see that issue but after a reboot the issue went away. Try creating a new user account, reboot and login to the new user. See if Bluetooth is still gone.

Thanks. I tried this. The new user does not have blue tooth either. Apple support has pushed the issue up to engineering. I'm hoping to hear back today.

Jakerlou

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2015

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Well, that was an unedifying 'update experience'... I have committed the unpardonable sin of having my home directory on another disk than the system disk. Consequently, the secinitd process seemed to have had a little spasm of trying to repair library permissions after the update, giving rise to a password prompt for each of the affected libraries (hundreds of them). After more than an hour of typing in my password in these prompts (it could not be pasted in), I got a little impatient and tried to restart. Then my Mac wouldn't boot (thanks Apple) and went into recovery mode. I used disk utility to repair permissions on my system disk, which detected several group permission errors, and then tried again to boot. No dice. I had to restore the system from my Time Machine backup, but thankfully it had a backup point for 10.10.5, so I tired that. Now everything works. I guess repairing permissions must have solved the problem so that 10.10.5 works, but I fail to understand how the error arose in the first place. I have never changed group permissions.

WTF :apple:??? :confused::mad:

I also put my user accounts on a separate drive from my system drive. That is pretty odd what happened to you. I did my update to 10.10.5 using the combo update though.

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I also have my user account on a separate drive and nothing happened. Well, 10.10.5 reset my Energy Saver settings, which I just found out, having left the computer to have fun with Crashplan and coming back home to find it catching some zzzs... but that's the only "problem" I found.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
I also put my user accounts on a separate drive from my system drive. That is pretty odd what happened to you. I did my update to 10.10.5 using the combo update though.

Hmm... I always attributed the error to my slightly non-standard set-up. However, maybe it is something else. All I can say is thank goodness for the recovery partition and time machine backup. This also happened to me for the update for 10.10.4, but the number of libraries involved was small and everything was OK after about 20 minutes of typing in my password to repair libraries... Maybe the lesson is to try to repair permissions before updating, but I would have though that Apple would include that in the process of updating.

Erm... what is the difference between the App store update and the combo update? :oops:

Wow. Thanks for the heads up.

Yeah - it pretty much blew a whole working day. However, it might be something other than having the home directory on another disk than the system, or it might be that using the combo update (whatever that is) gets around the problem - see above.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Hmm... I always attributed the error to my slightly non-standard set-up. However, maybe it is something else. All I can say is thank goodness for the recovery partition and time machine backup. This also happened to me for the update for 10.10.4, but the number of libraries involved was small and everything was OK after about 20 minutes of typing in my password to repair libraries... Maybe the lesson is to try to repair permissions before updating, but I would have though that Apple would include that in the process of updating.

Erm... what is the difference between the App store update and the combo update? :oops:

With 10.11 the repair permissions will no longer need to done because of the way the security has been improved. In my case, I really like having the user accounts on a separate drive because if I ever need to do a clean install, the user accounts aren't touched. Every major OS X release I do a clean install, 10.11 will be no exception.

Guy Clark

Suspended
Nov 28, 2013
London United Kingdom.
The primary reason why OS X Yosemite has received such a negative response is that is it represents a massive departure from what has gone before in previous releases of OS X. Massive amounts of development went in to Yosemite so Apple can hardly be accused of skimping there. Bugs such as those with the wi-fi were present in OS X Mavericks. So it needs to be considered whether the issue is Hardware related and indeed nothing to do with OS X Yosemite.
At this time it should be noted I have experienced no issues whatsoever with OS X Yosemite upgrading my 2011 iMac from OS X Mavericks upon the release of 10.10.2 (Never upgrade straight away) it's not rocket science.
It is also true to say that those currently damning Yosemite will be doing precisely the same to El Capitan.
True we all have our preferred releases of OS X. Whilst I find Yosemite to be fine for me the two best releases were Snow Leopard and Mountain Lion with Mavericks coming in fourth behind Yosemite.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Have you considered the problem may be Hardware related?

It really is interesting how some are having the WiFi issue and others are not in Yosemite. Even with the same model year and model computer there are people who are having WiFi issues while others are not. Personally, Yosemite has been the most stable OS X I have ever used. I am not joking when I say that and I have been using OS X since 10.2 Jaguar. Did skip 10.3 Panther.

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2015
Try booting into safe mode and see if it corrects the install issue. I have seen this type of issue resolved that way.

Thanks for the advice Taz. Unfortunately I've already destroyed all my macs and other apple devices. Hopefully this will work for others having the same problem.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Thanks for the advice Taz. Unfortunately I've already destroyed all my macs and other apple devices. Hopefully this will work for others having the same problem.

Wow, talk about extreme measures. Good luck finding that perfect journey out there.

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2015
Wow, talk about extreme measures. Good luck finding that perfect journey out there.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound extreme. I booted in safe mode last time I had this same exact issue and it didn't work. I pay the Apple premium because Steve said it should just turn on and work. I pay the premium because I'm not very tech savvy. But the last 2 years have been a nightmare for me. I still love Apple. I think their products are beautiful, but they have gone down a different path.

Besides I've already ordered parts for a dozen computers. It will be a fun project to learn how to build something from scratch and try messing around with Linux to see how I like that. So I'm happy even though 20,000+ dollars of Apple product is now out the window.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound extreme. I booted in safe mode last time I had this same exact issue and it didn't work. I pay the Apple premium because Steve said it should just turn on and work. I pay the premium because I'm not very tech savvy. But the last 2 years have been a nightmare for me. I still love Apple. I think their products are beautiful, but they have gone down a different path.

Besides I've already ordered parts for a dozen computers. It will be a fun project to learn how to build something from scratch and try messing around with Linux to see how I like that. So I'm happy even though 20,000+ dollars of Apple product is now out the window.

Sorry that you had so much issues and I can understand your frustration. Linux is a good OS but it also can be frustrating to work with as it is more of a hobby OS. So many different flavors of Linux. Definitely will teach you some great things. Be prepared to roll up your sleeves when using Linux.

I have used it personally and at work.

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2015
Sorry that you had so much issues and I can understand your frustration. Linux is a good OS but it also can be frustrating to work with as it is more of a hobby OS. So many different flavors of Linux. Definitely will teach you some great things. Be prepared to roll up your sleeves when using Linux.

I have used it personally and at work.

Yah, I know I have a lot to learn with Linux and it'll probably be frustrating at first. But the parts are cheap and the OS is free, so I don't mind putting in the extra effort. In any case, I think it will be a fun experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.