Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
Well, VNC to my Mac Mini Late 2012 no longer works properly after 10.8.5 combo update.
Flickers, locks up, screen tries to change res. Wish I hadn't updated.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
I just installed this, it broke my Bluetooth trackpad gestures, even with multiple power downs. What worked was to reset the smc (when the chime starts, hold command/option/p/r keys at the same time.)

After that everything worked normally again.
hold command/option/p/r keys = PRAM reset, not reset the SMC :eek:

I had to re-enable TRIM with Chameleon SSD Optimizer and reboot

noiseordinance

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
What is the wifi sync issue? Please tell me it fixes the 56k dial up speed files transfers... Pushing a 50mb PDF file to my iPhone or iPad takes faaaar too long on my wireless n network.

Beligerent

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2003
Concord, NH
Hopefully this will fix the issue where Mail app has not made a sound for new mail for 2 years now. No matter what I try I cannot get this to work.

Jacquesass

macrumors regular
May 6, 2003
Start looking through the libraries for signs of "MacBookPro11,1" - that should be the Haswell 15" rMBP. Apple may be waiting for 10.9 to release the new MBP ... but they also may have been waiting for 10.8.5.

aprilfools

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2004
Southern California
Does anyone know whether this update includes iTunes 11?

I have been using iTunes 10.7 for a while. iTunes 11 is garbage compared to iTunes 10.7. Apple changes things because they can, not because it needed to be changed. Anyway... I just upgraded from OSX 10.8.4 to 10.8.5 on a spare Mac Mini that I don't use very much and it left my iTunes 10.7 unchanged. YEAH!

Last edited:

neier

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2003
Japan
Doesn't show up in Software Update for me yet. I liked the old way of software updates from Preferences better (vs. App Store)

The old Terminal/Command-line way still works. From an administrator account, run:

sudo softwareupdate -i -a

and, it will install all available software updates, without requiring the appstore login.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I have been using iTunes 10.7 for a while. iTunes 11 is garbage compared to iTunes 10.7. Apple changes things because they can, not because it needed to be changed. Anyway... I just upgraded from OSX 10.8.4 to 10.8.5 on a spare Mac Mini that I don't use very much and it left my iTunes 10.7 unchanged. YEAH!

Excellent, thanks :)

When reinstalling a system last week I had to dig out 10.8.1 because the 10.8.4 image has iTunes 11 in it! It's good to hear that updating doesn't force 11 on you.

acuriouslad

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2008
Australia
I hope that this finally fixes my slow wake from sleep time on my 2012 Macbook Air! Opening the lid and having to wait for 15-20sec before I can even type my password is not instant on - doesn't happen everytime but at least 50% of it. :mad:

HenryAZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
South Congress AZ
How do you get the warning message to go away when you select Shut Down from the Apple menu? I have not figured this out. I know how to get the Trash warning to go away in the Finder Advanced Prefs but I can't figure out how to get the shutdown dialogue to go away, and simply SHUT DOWN when I select it in the menu!!!

Hold down Alt.

Alternatively, press Control-Option-Command-Eject all at once.

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2013
I can confirm that the Arabic Text Exploit/Bug that crashes Safari has been fixed in 10.8.5 - that line of text does not crash Safari anymore, running OS X 10.8.5. This crashed my machine on 10.8.4 when I viewed this text in Safari or Messages. Apparently the bug was in WebKit, and now the bug is fixed.

Thanks for confirming this.

----------

I hope that this finally fixes my slow wake from sleep time on my 2012 Macbook Air! Opening the lid and having to wait for 15-20sec before I can even type my password is not instant on - doesn't happen everytime but at least 50% of it. :mad:

Do you by any chance tend to leave your machine in sleep mode while running off of battery power for at least more than a hour ? If so, you might be experiencing Apple's standby mode http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4392?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Jig3n

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
OpenGL Extension viewer now crashes on launch.

Removing it then re-installing it fixed it for me for some reason.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-09-12 at 9.34.12 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-09-12 at 9.34.12 PM.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:

isomorphic

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
WARNING TO OTHERS

This update seems to have done something very very bad to drive sleep behavior. I updated a Mac Pro (Early 2009) and a Mac Mini Server (Late 2012). Both have hard drive sleeping disabled under Energy Saver. Before the 10.8.5 update, drives ran without sleeping.

After the 10.8.5 update, drives sleep--then don't wake back up! Or, they may be spinning up but the OS will no longer see them. This is on both internal drives and an external USB3 array.

The 10.8.5 update has made both systems nearly unusable. I am going to have to format and reinstall, or downgrade.

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
I probably ask this every time an update comes out but do any of you guys have an issue where, at the end of the update you get a message saying that the update could not be installed (no error code) and the only option given is to restart? After it restarts, the update was successfully installed and all is good. This happens every time. Anyone? :confused:

DrDomVonDoom

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2010
Fairbanks, Ak
Can anyone tell me if this fixes the problem with the wifi dropping intermittedly and not reconnecting itself?

I've tried every fix in the book and it keeps coming back with a vengence.

This has been a ongoing issue for many mac users since Lion released 3 years ago. Common Apple, this **** is ridiculous.

There are hundreds of posts on Apples discussion forum talking about this issue and nothing that has fixed it yet.

Raptura

Suspended
Sep 6, 2008
Toronto, Canada / London, UK
Since updating I've noticed lower fan speeds on my rMBP while using my Thunderbolt Display. Not sure if it's directly related to the update, but it's nice to see. Other than that, nothing else is noticeable.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
What exactly did they change in AFP? It never fails randomly for me, just sometimes if something goes wrong (like when the host disconnects for a second).

----------

WARNING TO OTHERS

This update seems to have done something very very bad to drive sleep behavior. I updated a Mac Pro (Early 2009) and a Mac Mini Server (Late 2012). Both have hard drive sleeping disabled under Energy Saver. Before the 10.8.5 update, drives ran without sleeping.

After the 10.8.5 update, drives sleep--then don't wake back up! Or, they may be spinning up but the OS will no longer see them. This is on both internal drives and an external USB3 array.

The 10.8.5 update has made both systems nearly unusable. I am going to have to format and reinstall, or downgrade.

That's terrible. It hasn't happened to me (2008 Mac Pro with an external USB 2.0 drive), but I'll keep a lookout.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.