Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
How do you get the warning message to go away when you select Shut Down from the Apple menu? I have not figured this out. I know how to get the Trash warning to go away in the Finder Advanced Prefs but I can't figure out how to get the shutdown dialogue to go away, and simply SHUT DOWN when I select it in the menu!!!

Press option when you click the option.

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
Installed the combo update on 2012 iMac. After a letting it go to sleep and coming back, it woke when I hit a key (Bluetooth keyboard and magic trackpad), but none of the gestures would work, nor key strokes, although MOVEMENT of the mouse pointer was fine (so it wasn't just a connection issue). Clicks wouldn't work. Then after about 10 seconds, all the commands came in at once as it caught up.

I hope this doesn't continue to happen.

You're not alone here. I also installed the combo update on a late 2012 27" iMac. Seemed fine last night during use. Over night the computer went to sleep & this morning when I tried to wake it, for lack of a better term, it bugged out.

I have a Bluetooth keyboard and TrackPad as well as a USB mouse (Razer Naga 2012 for my gaming habits). I woke the machine w/ the keyboard, the screen came on and I tried typing my password into the password dialog but nothing was appearing. I tried a few times to enter the password but nothing was appearing in the dialog, and initially the mouse wasn't visible either but eventually the pointer showed up but I still couldn't click in the password dialog. I should also note that the screen flipped from off to on to off a couple of times, as if toggling the sleep state on its own. No idea WTF that was about.

10 or 15 seconds later, as you said, all the things I did on the keyboard started showing up at once in the password dialog. Very odd.

I did an SMC reset (had already done a PRAM reset yesterday) and will try to reproduce this today. Hopefully I cannot.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
A SSD would likely help since complete status of everything on you computer is saved to disk so it can be restored when restarted.

The issue isn't related to drive speed, 10.8 just hangs waiting for things to finish up. Earlier versions of OSX don't have that problem.

vitaflo

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2005
WARNING TO OTHERS

This update seems to have done something very very bad to drive sleep behavior. I updated a Mac Pro (Early 2009) and a Mac Mini Server (Late 2012). Both have hard drive sleeping disabled under Energy Saver. Before the 10.8.5 update, drives ran without sleeping.

After the 10.8.5 update, drives sleep--then don't wake back up! Or, they may be spinning up but the OS will no longer see them. This is on both internal drives and an external USB3 array.

The 10.8.5 update has made both systems nearly unusable. I am going to have to format and reinstall, or downgrade.

Same, my MBP is basically not usable now as soon as the display turns off for the reasons above. What a horrible update. Don't bother with it.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
I have an external USB 3.0 RAID array that I'm using as JBOD. It's connected to the Mac Mini Server (Late 2012). 10.8.5 kept sleeping the external array, and it steadfastly would not wake up.

I had moved my home directories over to it, and have everything on the Mini (including the external drives) encrypted with FileVault 2.

You can imagine the joy it was to unfrak the system, but Time Machine pulled me through. I had to reformat the boot drive, restore from backup, move my user folders back over to the boot drive, then reset FileVault 2 on the boot drive.

Everything on the Mini now seems back to normal (10.8.4). Now that I've had my fingers burned I'll wait and see for awhile before upgrading again.

Now to clean up the Mac Pro...

Disable the drives from sleeping in system preferences?

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
Just a heads up: I installed 10.8.5 on my 2013 MBA (via App Store) and now I can't get past the login screen on boot. Entering the correct password briefly shows a white screen with a spinning cog and then I'm back at the login screen again.

seattle29

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2008
Installed on my 2012 MacBook Air (upgrading from 10.8.4) and now the sound is very "tinny" and the speakers sound awful. I can't see anything in the Sound settings that have changed, and no Equalizer settings in iTunes were changed.

Anyone else have this?

Dordt

Nov 13, 2012
Netherlands
Installed on my 2012 MacBook Air (upgrading from 10.8.4) and now the sound is very "tinny" and the speakers sound awful. I can't see anything in the Sound settings that have changed, and no Equalizer settings in iTunes were changed.

Anyone else have this?

Yes, me!
Previous post:
Sound:
Started during 12F33

Installed Combo 10.8.5 12F33. Tested no previous builds.
Macbook Air mid 2012.
I notice a "inside" hollow sound when playing.
Back to 10.8.4. Sound ok now.

Today i installed 10.8.5 12F37. Same hollow sound issue. It is really slightly different, but not nice.
Also strange light visible EYETV dvb-t video interlacing lag during picture movement horizontal.
New audio and video drivers?
Does some of you also notice a sound quality change? (hollow).

seattle29

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2008
Yes, me!
Previous post:
Sound:
Started during 12F33

Installed Combo 10.8.5 12F33. Tested no previous builds.
Macbook Air mid 2012.
I notice a "inside" hollow sound when playing.
Back to 10.8.4. Sound ok now.

Today i installed 10.8.5 12F37. Same hollow sound issue. It is really slightly different, but not nice.
Also strange light visible EYETV dvb-t video interlacing lag during picture movement horizontal.
New audio and video drivers?
Does some of you also notice a sound quality change? (hollow).

I did a PRAM reset and it's slightly better now, but still worse compared to 10.8.4 - seems to be a new driver that causes ***** sound :mad:

Dordt

Nov 13, 2012
Netherlands
I did a PRAM reset and it's slightly better now, but still worse compared to 10.8.4 - seems to be a new driver that causes ***** sound

No result.

isomorphic

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
I have a problem where my external fw800 raid storage is going to sleep, then waking up again when data is required.

It didn't do this in 10.8.4 and my energy saver, put hard drives to sleep when not in use is unchecked.

This is my late 2009 27" i7 iMac.

This is probably the same problem I'm having. External drive arrays get put to sleep then have trouble waking. I have the preference set to never sleep drives, but it does it anyway.

I rolled back to 10.8.4.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Same, my MBP is basically not usable now as soon as the display turns off for the reasons above. What a horrible update. Don't bother with it.

Must be your setup - I don't have any issues here.

----------

I have a problem where my external fw800 raid storage is going to sleep, then waking up again when data is required.

It didn't do this in 10.8.4 and my energy saver, put hard drives to sleep when not in use is unchecked.

This is my late 2009 27" i7 iMac.

And HOW do you expect the HD to NOT wake up when data is required?

isomorphic

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
Disable the drives from sleeping in system preferences?

Sorry, I should have written: 10.8.5 is sleeping the external array regardless of any setting in Energy Saver. In 10.8.4 I had "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" unchecked. In 10.8.5 it remained unchecked but ignored the setting. I changed the setting, then changed it back to no avail.

I rolled back to 10.8.4 because the 10.8.5 drive-sleep behavior made the external array unusable on the server.

----------

And HOW do you expect the HD to NOT wake up when data is required?

I don't know exactly what Raima's issue is, but in my case, 10.8.5 is aggressively putting external drive arrays to sleep despite "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" being unchecked.

This results in the array not being ready when a request for data comes in. It slowly spins back up, but by then the OS has locked up in anticipation of the data. The OS never comes back fully--it acts like the external drive has failed.

The array worked fine in 10.8.4.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Sorry, I should have written: 10.8.5 is sleeping the external array regardless of any setting in Energy Saver. In 10.8.4 I had "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" unchecked. In 10.8.5 it remained unchecked but ignored the setting. I changed the setting, then changed it back to no avail.

I rolled back to 10.8.4 because the 10.8.5 drive-sleep behavior made the external array unusable on the server.

----------

I don't know exactly what Raima's issue is, but in my case, 10.8.5 is aggressively putting external drive arrays to sleep despite "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" being unchecked.

This results in the array not being ready when a request for data comes in. It slowly spins back up, but by then the OS has locked up in anticipation of the data. The OS never comes back fully--it acts like the external drive has failed.

The array worked fine in 10.8.4.

Have you tried to repair permissions, SMC reset, check/uncheck sleep preferences and restart?

isomorphic

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
Have you tried to repair permissions, SMC reset, check/uncheck sleep preferences and restart?

I did check/uncheck sleep preferences and restart.

I did not repair permissions (not sure how that'd help) or reset the SMC (that seems more likely to help).

The system is critical, so last night I formatted the drive and restored from backup. I'm back on 10.8.4. I may have time to upgrade again and try resetting the SMC in a couple of weeks, when I can tolerate the machine being unusable for a while.

dansmbp

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2013
Really glad I read this...

These drive issues seems serious. Was about to install this but will certainly hold off for now. I have a Crucial after-market SSD and a Samsung 1TB HDD in my optical bay. Seems like installing this update might be a recipe for disaster. Thanks for reporting...

isomorphic

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
I can now confirm that my Mac Pro on 10.8.5 is spinning down internal drives even though the Energy Saver panel's "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" setting is unchecked. This is different behavior from 10.8.4, and is in my opinion a bad regression.

Note that by this I mean the OS is spinning down the drives when the system is up and running, not just during system sleep. I have system sleep completely disabled.

I will try an SMC reset on the Pro later today.

Drive spin-down is unbelievably annoying on a workstation or server. I can barely tolerate it on my laptop. (Oh, great, it's been 120 seconds; now I have to wait three seconds for the drive to spin back up, during which time the whole damn system locks up.)

Sufentafix

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2009
Thank you!

It looks like the kernel panic posted by Sufentafix was caused by an out of date utility produced by Eltima for their USB to Ethernet adaptor

Yes, that was the culprit. After deinstalling the antivirus without effect I wasn't sure whether my approach of deinstalling the kexts mentioned in the crash report was the right approach... It turns out it was. :)

Thank you very much!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.