Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwsmiths

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2006
Dictation bug?

Dictation is broken I think. It was working in DP1, I never used it in DP2 but tried to show off the enhanced dictation last night and that wasn't working - so I switched to the traditional version and that didn't work either. Tried rebooting w/o any effect.

SixSlinger

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
Dictation is broken I think. It was working in DP1, I never used it in DP2 but tried to show off the enhanced dictation last night and that wasn't working - so I switched to the traditional version and that didn't work either. Tried rebooting w/o any effect.

Same here. I fixed it by downloading the UK voice pack (for Enhanced Dictation) in addition to American English, and then deleting it afterwards. I think they may have moved the location of the system files (I couldn't find them) and by downloading another Enhanced Dictation pack, it "found" the American English file.

Hope that works for you as well.

aabdelsa

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2013
I had that problem in ML and no amount of reindexing helped - here was my fix:

Boot to recovery partition
From Utilities menu, choose Terminal, type “resetpassword”
Select "reset home folder permissions and ACLs"

tried this and all the other suggestions and still no luck! I appreciate all the responses though!

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009

Doh! :eek:

Seriously? I have never seen a Finder toolbar short for server connections. In the menubar and keyboard shortcut, but I must have missed it.

Ah, that doesn't show the Finder toolbar icon. Yes, you have been able to connect to servers, etc. in other ways, but it has been modified for easier access via Finder aside from keyboard shortcuts and the Menubar. That creates a desktop shortcut, this is built into Finder and is an option in Finder window toolbars.

tooobe

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2008
Doh! :eek:

Seriously? I have never seen a Finder toolbar short for server connections. In the menubar and keyboard shortcut, but I must have missed it.

Ah, that doesn't show the Finder toolbar icon. Yes, you have been able to connect to servers, etc. in other ways, but it has been modified for easier access via Finder aside from keyboard shortcuts and the Menubar. That creates a desktop shortcut, this is built into Finder and is an option in Finder window toolbars.

Aha, didn't notice that toolbar part :) It isn't part of the default toolbar layout...
Thought you meant the server connection overall.

iDuel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Greece/USA
Can't use dishanywhere.com to watch my dvr since using Mavericks DP. DP 1, 2, and 3, same thing. Get a message " Tried in Chrome and Safari, get

We're sorry, but your current web browser, operating system, or the combination of both is not currently supported by the SlingPlayer plug-in. Please click here for more information."

Anyone else who is a Dish customer, notice this?

That's pretty understandable as Mavericks hasn't even been released yet. If you happen to have a partition with ML, you can access it without problems from there.

eth

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2008
This is what I observed. Just done a quick reboot with Hardware Monitor on auto-launch. Then I quit HM, relaunched manually, trigger HM Preferences, and Overview Monitor, despite all these they were in Integrated mode.

Adium I do not have it in auto-launch, so I launched it manually. It stays Integrated even with a message window opened. But once I trigger Adium Preferences, it goes to Discrete. :confused:

Can you please try it with Twitter? The official client from the app store. It's a 100% reproducible test to check if the issue with the GPU has been solved.

BR3W

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2010
Same here. I fixed it by downloading the UK voice pack (for Enhanced Dictation) in addition to American English, and then deleting it afterwards. I think they may have moved the location of the system files (I couldn't find them) and by downloading another Enhanced Dictation pack, it "found" the American English file.

Hope that works for you as well.
where did you find the voice packs to delete them?

LlamaLarry

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2008
Northern VA
The OS X Mavericks Developer Preview supports the following Macs:

iMac (Mid-2007 or later)
MacBook (13-inch Aluminum, Late 2008), (13-inch, Early 2009 or later)
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid-2009 or later), (15-inch, Mid/Late 2007 or later), (17-inch, Late 2007 or later)
MacBook Air (Late 2008 or later)
Mac Mini (Early 2009 or later)
Mac Pro (Early 2008 or later)
Xserve (Early 2009)
Dang, I hadn't really thought about the white MB's that 2 of my kids have. I am not a fan of supporting multiple OS versions at home; I have metered LTE service since I live in the sticks, so I download updates elsewhere and ferry them home.

One of the boys will be graduating from HS in 2014, so I will have to support ML until I buy him a new rig for college I suppose. #firstworldproblems

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
One of the boys will be graduating from HS in 2014, so I will have to support ML until I buy him a new rig for college I suppose. #firstworldproblems

The Mountain Lion and Mavericks system requirements are the same.

thomaskc

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
Still a lot worse performance than Windows 8, sort this rubbish out

If you are talking about games, it most likely always will be. Reasons being as simple as directX is where all the magic happens on windows, and since that's Microsoft owned, you will never see dx implemented on osx, which means they are stuck to OpenGL which on paper isn't all that bad but in reality has nowhere near the utility for developers. (Osx always being behind on supporting the very latest doesn't help either).

interfuse

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2006
to install DP3 do you have to install DP2 first, or is there a DP3 installer that you can use to install from fresh?

thanks.

igorcv88

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2012
Brazil
Can't Update

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

After releasing the third beta of iOS 7 this morning, Apple has seeded the third Developer Preview of OS X Mavericks to developers.

The third iteration of the OS X Mavericks beta comes two weeks after Apple seeded the second version to developers, focusing on performance enhancements and bug fixes.

OS X Mavericks is slated for release this fall and includes new features like a tabbed Finder, full screen dual monitor capabilities, Safari improvements, and a new Maps app. Developers can receive the update via the Software Update tool in the Mac App Store.

Article Link: Apple Releases OS X Mavericks Developer Preview 3

Hi, I am trying to update to the DP 3 and when the Macbook restarts, it tells me that I still need to update, and it makes me download the DP all over again. Is this happening to all of you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.