Apple Releases OS X Yosemite Developer Preview 2

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 17, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Alongside iOS 8 beta 2, Apple today released a new version of OS X Yosemite, just over two weeks after initially introducing the operating system at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference.

The update, Developer Preview 2, has a build number of 14A261i, and can be downloaded from the Mac App Store or the Mac Dev Center.

[​IMG]
    OS X Yosemite brings a flatter, more modern look to OS X, with an emphasis on translucency, along with a slew of new features, including improved integration with iOS 8 through Continuity. It also includes a new "Today" view in Notification Center that offers integration with third-party apps, a retooled Spotlight search that offers new data sources, and several new features for apps like Mail, Safari, and Messages.

OS X Yosemite is currently only available to developers, but Apple plans to offer a beta version of the software to Mac users at some point during the summer. A public release of OS X Yosemite is expected in the fall, after several additional beta iterations.

New Features:

- Photo Booth: Photo Booth, which was missing from the first Yosemite beta, has now returned.
    [​IMG]
    - Time Machine: Time Machine has a redesigned interface that removes the stars. (via 9to5Mac).

- Screen Sharing: Screen Sharing has been updated to version 6, allowing users to block incoming screen share requests.

[​IMG]
    - Settings: There's a new Settings icon.

[​IMG]
    - AirDrop: AirDrop now offers a notification directly on the screen when a file is incoming, so it is no longer necessary to open Finder to receive a file (via 9to5Mac).

[​IMG]
    Handoff: According to several of our forum members, Handoff between iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite is now far more functional.

System Information: There's a new field for Continuity support in the Bluetooth category of the System Information app, which lets users know if their machines support features like Continuity and AirDrop.

Article Link: Apple Releases OS X Yosemite Developer Preview 2

2. macrumors 68000

ghostface147

Just looking for VMWare Fusion to work and an option to enable TRIM.

3. macrumors 6502a

Dekema2

Only a matter of time before the public beta!

4. macrumors 603

bedifferent

Woo-hoo! Bring on the dark theme (can't stand the "Miami Vice" 80's colors, the blue folder icon makes my eyes bleed)

5. macrumors 6502a

Klae17

Downloading OTA right now!

6. macrumors 65816

It's Christmas in June for beta lovers!

7. macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

I am hesitated to even boot to Yosemite. Ever time boot to Yosemite, my iCloud Keychain will be rested...

8. macrumors regular

ifraaank

Would someone mind testing if Final Cut Pro X works in this version?

9. macrumors member

Dark mode.

Can anyone confirm if dark mode is in this build?

10. macrumors member

rfbandit

Seconded! I want to upgrade, but can't have it break Final Cut Pro

11. macrumors 603

bedifferent

It works, the trick is to right-click on the icon, navigate to the "MacOS" folder and simply run the executable. Same for compressor, the only one is Motion 5, no work around (yet).

Here's a link to a forum thread I posted with better info:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1740846

12. macrumors regular

Only if you log into it with your iCloud account, which you don't have to.

13. macrumors member

I feel like this OS X version is more stable than OS X 10.9 Mavericks. Even if it is in DevPreview.

I'm just not a fan of Spotlight now. I hate clicking it and then I get a pop-up. BOO!

14. macrumors member

Yosemite has been running very nicely on my rMBP 13. Have not had the infamous wifi issues at all. The new dock is so much better than the old one in Mavericks.

15. macrumors regular

I get that, it's quite alright though with CMD+Space :)

16. macrumors regular

How can I install this with bootcamp installed on a second partion. Last time it made my bootcamp partion unbootable.

17. macrumors regular

downloading.. 1.16 GB on 2009 cMP ;)

18. macrumors regular

Jaypi

Can anybody confirm that the Exchange issue got fixed ?

19. macrumors 6502

Can anyone confirm that Adobe CS6 and CC apps still work? I remember when I tested Mavericks DP2, Fireworks CS6 ceased to launch. Worked fine in Yosemite DP1.

20. macrumors member

First time partaking in a dev preview. Do I just update with the "OS X 10.10 Update 1.0" in the updates section or should I redownload the installer in the purchases tab? The 1.0 is throwing me off; it makes sense since it's the first update, but my brain wants to see a 2.

Either way, currently downloading the "Update 1.0" because it can't hurt (probably) and shouldn't take too long. (I'm at like 320 MB right now.)

Added:
    I believe this answers my question. Thank you very much. : 3 (also 1.16 GB for me: retina MBP)

21. macrumors 68000

Do we get dark mode and updated iTunes?

22. simsaladimbamba

That keychain needs its rest, you know, it is full of your hard work.

And you could also use OS X 10.9 Mavericks to work in.

23. macrumors 68000

JarScott

Hopefully this means the public beta is just around the corner, with most of the BIG bugs gone. Really hoping we get a public beta release by the end of this week or early next week. Summer starts on June 21st and I'm itching to get my hands on OSX Yosemite.

24. macrumors 6502

I can confirm that regardless to if you are a licensed dev, if you obtained the beta through whatever means other than entering a code into the mac appstore you still get the update :)

25. macrumors 65816

Hopefully this is the version they were using onstage at WWDC.