Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

An official (PRODUCT)RED version of Apple's leather case for the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus has been spotted in at least one Apple retail store today, as reported by French tech site iGeneration [Google Translate]. When the new line of iPhones debuted in September, only the silicone case was offered in a (PRODUCT)RED option.

product-red-6s.jpg

The (PRODUCT)RED leather case for the iPhone 6s hasn't appeared yet on Apple's online store, but will most likely soon follow if the company keeps slowly rolling out the case to its retail locations around the country. When it does, it'll no doubt come in at the same price of the other leather cases sold by Apple, costing $45 for the iPhone 6s version and $49 for the iPhone 6s Plus version.

product-red-6s-2.jpg

A portion of sales from Apple's entire (PRODUCT)RED lineup goes to the Global Fund to help fund AIDS programs in Africa. Most recently, the company introduced (PRODUCT)RED accessories for the Apple Watch, debuting a new collection and band in the bright red color option during its September "Hey Siri" media event.

Update: The (PRODUCT)RED leather cases for the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus are now available to purchase on Apple's online store.

Article Link: Apple Releases (PRODUCT)RED Leather Cases for iPhone 6s and 6s Plus

Reactions: arn

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Unlike the essentially perfect design of the 5s cases, these still do not protect the edges all the way around. I finally found a third party leather case that does.

Apple had a perfect design, then messed it up.

BarmyGnome

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2015
Unlike the essentially perfect design of the 5s cases, these still do not protect the edges all the way around. I finally found a third party leather case that does.

Not really an issue, aluminium is quite a durable metal.

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Apple likes to tout itself as an environmentally conscious company. I really wish they'd stop selling leather products then. The raising & slaughtering of cows for iPhone & ipad covers is the antithesis of environmentally conscious.

NMBob

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
Apple likes to tout itself as an environmentally conscious company. I really wish they'd stop selling leather products then. The raising & slaughtering of cows for iPhone & ipad covers is the antithesis of environmentally conscious.

How else are we going to get rid of all those farting cows that are causing global warming?

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I recently bought a 6 Plus red leather on clearance. I'm afraid to use it until I can buy some leather conditioner as the red looks bad really quick.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
I waited a month before buying a black leather case but I've always had Product(RED) Apple products. Really bummed it took them this long. $45 spending again on another case after just getting a black one is wasteful. Really a shame this wasn't available at launch.

Same thing with (RED) Apple Watch band which I begrudgingly bought to replace my black band.

Reactions: rbrian

kayloh20

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
Chicago, IL

It seems very odd that they would do this. While it is my fault that I drop my iPhone 6 plus multiple times, I do want to note that the edges are flawless...except for the bottom.

Reactions: Aston441

Brian01001

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2015
Yep, they've had this in the store near me in Canada for at least a week now. I had no idea they were a new product though for the 6s and 6s+ :p Pretty cool might get one

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008

Err, no. The cows are already going to be slaughtered for beef anyway so it's more environmentally friendly to use the skin for leather which would have gone to waste otherwise.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada

Isn't leather mostly a byproduct of the meat industry though?

I know some animals are raised primarily for their leather, but that's for luxury leather which is a small minority of leather in general, and clearly not the kind of leather Apple is using here.

My point is, if we keep eating as much cows as we do, it doesn't really matter if their skin gets trashed or sold as leather. Either way as many cows will be raised and slaughtered and it still won't be environmentally conscious. To have an impact we should buy less leather and eat less beef.

We shouldn't just stop buying leather while still eating red meat multiple times a week and sleep well at night thinking we're saving animals. It's good if you choose not to buy leather but you also have to reduce meat to have an actual impact. If you're doing both then great, otherwise that's something to think about before giving up on leather.

Last edited:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I've got the silicon Product Red one for my iPhone 6. It's very nice case, I find it much better than the leather one personally.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Did they just find a load more in their warehouse and repackage them? Don't think they're any different to the Product Red 6/6+ leather cases!

nmg196

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
Did they just find a load more in their warehouse and repackage them? Don't think they're any different to the Product Red 6/6+ leather cases!
They're not the same size/shape. These are specifically designed to fit the 6S and 6S+

Why Apple made the 6S a very slightly different size is beyond me...

Reactions: jbachandouris

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
They're not the same size/shape. These are specifically designed to fit the 6S and 6S+

Why Apple made the 6S a very slightly different size is beyond me...

I'm pretty sure the cases are the same size? They're compatible with both the 6S and 6.

The iPhones are only fractions of millimetres different, so I presume they wouldn't bother producing brand new cases.

I could be wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.