Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Different uses for different folks. I use the Siri part of the remote approximately never. I have my universal remote (a Harmony 650) set up to control the Apple TV (and everything else), but I end up just using it fire up the system and then switch to Apple's remote because I like it better (with a Griffin Survivor Play case on it to improve ergonomics). When the Apple TV's Siri gains the ability to work with HomeKit, so I can ask the remote in my hand to change the lights, then I'll use Siri with the TV more.
[doublepost=1470163733][/doublepost]
For a moment. When it didn't show in the Updates tab of the App Store, I clicked the link at the bottom of the article and attained enlightenment.
I bought an Echo for that purpose, was tired of waiting for Apple to integrate voice home automation.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Not sure what people's issue is with the wifi setup. No pairing or any of the other annoyances that Bluetooth has -- just put your device on the same network and you're good to go.
Here's one issue: WPA2-PSK (the encryption most home users use for their Wifi network) is susceptible to offline dictionary attacks. What this means is that you need to use a long and random string of characters as your passphrase if you want to secure your network, and it's obviously not very fun to enter such strings using the Apple TV remote. It's not a problem for the initial setup (since you can use an iPhone to "beam" the credentials to the ATV via Bluetooth), but very unpleasant if you later want to connect the ATV to another network or just change the passphrase.

Sajal

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2014
I have an atv 3, will this new app change/add anything. (I am not near my ATV3 currently, so just asking if anybody knows)

The Old remote app was useful enough for normal jobs, even it used to detect and open the keyboard and let me type in when required.

Xpress

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2006
Chicago
No native iPad app? In 2016?

Lazy.
What functionality could an iPad version of the app provide? The iPhone version works fine on iPad.
[doublepost=1470323428][/doublepost]
Eventually, I bet the biggest button will be for "Apple Music". I am not a subscriber, but I hate the fact that Apple is pushing Apple Music way to far.
OTOH, Services like Apple Music are making up for slowing iPhone sales...
[doublepost=1470325426][/doublepost]
Yep, bad design. I have put one of those glow-in-the-dark stickers on the lower portion of the remote.
Why didn't I think of that? Thanks! Apple should have thought of that and included it.

Xpress

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2006
Chicago
The main problem is that you can’t use your iPhone as a remote unless you’re signed in to your own account on the Apple TV—which I find very annoying.

Otaviano

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2007
The main problem is that you can’t use your iPhone as a remote unless you’re signed in to your own account on the Apple TV—which I find very annoying.

So if my wife is logged into her account on the phone and the Apple TV is logged into my account it will not work?

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
I just bought a 64gb Apple TV yesterday. Got the App. Didn't know it was new.

Works great. Just having a keyboard makes it worthwhile. More trackpad area then the remote. so, I find it easier to navigate. Not that the remote trackpad is an issue.

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
The Apple Remote hardware is the worst design since the Hockey puck mouse. When it is dark, you have a 50% chance of pressing the correct option.

Except the 'hockey puck' mouse wasn't actually anywhere near as bad as people made out it to be…

If you had one of the (majority) with the depression/notch added to the button - that really helped you to ensure it was oriented the correct way, and if you held it between thumb & finger instead of trying to rest your palm on it, it worked great - very precise & easy to use!

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Except the 'hockey puck' mouse wasn't actually anywhere near as bad as people made out it to be…

If you had one of the (majority) with the depression/notch added to the button - that really helped you to ensure it was oriented the correct way, and if you held it between thumb & finger instead of trying to rest your palm on it, it worked great - very precise & easy to use!
No, it really was a POS. I had to use them in the lab at university so I didn't have a choice and it would infuriate me constantly.
[doublepost=1470626447][/doublepost]
At least they seem to have finaly managed to implemet a keyboard feature...about eff-ing time.
The old one had a keyboard too.

Reactions: Cougarcat

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
No, it really was a POS. I had to use them in the lab at university so I didn't have a choice and it would infuriate me constantly.
I honestly loved it. Loved the colour accent 'soft touch' plastic insets on the sides of the mouse, too.
Loved the attention to detail of the half & half colouring of the mouse ball.

Agree to disagree?!

D-Dave

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2010
Oh, I didn't know...probably haven't checked back to the remote app since I got the atv4 as it did not feature a keyboard back then, which made it pretty useless for me.
Thanks for pointing it out, cheers mate.

Reactions: QuarterSwede

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I forgot to download this the other week. Will have to give it a try this weekend and hope I like it better than the physical Siri remote, which I just loathe. I'm not a big fan of the UI on the ATV 4 and have been using the ATV 3 more often because of it.

imacan

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Sorry if this was asked before but with the new remote app, the touch pad doesn't work, I can't swipe in any direction but it registers taps and all the onscreen buttons work. I tried restarting the app, the ATV4, deleting and reinstalling the app, nothing works. The physical remote works. So it's really just the swipes that don't register. Any idea?

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2015
I was hoping to play the tennis game in multiplayer mode on the aTV with my phone and remote connected....will two player mode be possible in the future on Wii like games on the aTV?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.