Apple releases Rendezvous for Windows 2000 & XP

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jun 30, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors bot

MacRumors

Rendezvous (Zero-Config Networking) Preview available for Windows

Apple released a developer's preview of Rendezvous Networking for Windows 2000 & XP at wwdc 04.

Also released was support for various POSIX platforms, including Linux, Solaris, and FreeBSD, as well as making it callable from Java. Prior to wwdc, Rendezvous support was only available in Mac OS X.

3. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

Ah, the assimilation continues.

Very nice. Not really "new" technology, but nice to see Apple getting it in there with "Rendezvous" name.

And I dig the Java hooks.

4. macrumors 6502a

macridah

good move on apple's part. soon all networkable hardware and software will use apple technology

5. macrumors P6

~Shard~

Although I personally have no need for this whatsoever, I think it's good that Apple is continuing to develop applications like this... :cool:

6. macrumors 6502

Man, does Windows need this. Badly. It's such a pain in the ass to set up a local network on even two Windows XP machines - I set one up at my sister's house between three computers, two of them with wireless cards, and it routinely decides not to work. Sometimes the Internet conks out, usually the file sharing doesn't work, and sometimes ALL of it dies, requiring restarts on any machine involved.

A far cry from my easy, flawless, 2-imacs and 1 PB network at my house.

7. macrumors 65816

narco

Do I sense a trend?

// narco

8. macrumors newbie

This could lead to something big...

---------------------------------

Seems they've learned from their new-found realization that playing along with, - and creating better solutions for - the Wintel crowd, is extremely lucrative... ( Can we all say "iTunes", "iPod", & "iPod mini"... ? )

...and I don't blame them one bit.

Keep it up, Apple... You may make inroads (and BIG time deniro) YET...

9. macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

I'm not sure how this would do anything except make the Windows experience a little better... ??

10. macrumors regular

For the record, the first platform other than Mac OS X to support Rendezvous was the Newton. Developers built it into Escale, an app to synchronize and install software on a Newton MessagePad. And it works.

http://www.kallisys.com/newton/dcl/en

11. macrumors regular

This is just great -- You're going to see a lot of printer manufactureres jump on this opportunity to make their printers uber-simple to use on a network. Consumer printers that hook up only to RJ45 (or 802.11 ;) ) and not USB are going to become much more common. They'll package the Rendezvous with their printer drivers, and shazam -- very simple to get the printer available to everyone on the network very easily.

AWESOME WORK, Apple. I don't scream that often, but this is great.

12. macrumors 68000

dongmin

I wonder if Apple is laying down the software groundwork for some new cross-platform hardware, e.g. set-top box, wireless ipod/ipad, iChat AV + iSight for windows, etc. Highly doubt that Apple is doing this simply to make networking between PCs easy.

13. macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Obviously, this is a very good thing. I'm glad Apple is opening up. This new open approach will help them in the long run.

14. macrumors regular

Yes, it sure seems like this is the foundation for something else. I can't imagine Apple doing this and not having some sort of x-plat plans involving the technology.

15. macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Hold up, does this mean I'll soon be able to offload some of my XCode compile to my Linux webserver? If so, kickass!

16. macrumors 65816

billyboy

The PC running Windows is going to become the digital hub for the majority of peripheral hardware that will be coming out of Cupertino. Along with iTunes, this is one Trojan horse you just have to love. Sweet.

17. macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

I agree that it's great that Apple is developping things that are easier to use for PC's now..... but how will this affect the mac in the future?

I love my mac and I never want to go back to crappy windows, even if there are good applications made by Apple for it. The reason I love my mac is that it just works (hard ware and software).

I hope this branching out WILL increase use of apple hardware and software, but I hope they won't have to surrender their computers or their OS.

18. macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

It is just a chess...

It's a new move for the big game apple is playing and most PC companies don't know they do... ;)

19. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

They're just going to give Windows users enough of a taste to make them look at Macs. And, of course, enough of the technology to sell more of those non-Mac Apple products.

Apple won't make Windows as easy to use as a Mac. Ever. They just want a bit more mind-share. "See how cool we are? Macs have even more cool features...."

20. macrumors member

Captain Canuck

Just a thought...

Maybe it allows for future iPod features...

Walk into a room with your iPod (with Rendezvous) and any computer (mac or pc) running iTunes can pick up your playlist.

Would also allow Macs and PCs in general to better detect/communicate with each other.

cc

21. macrumors member

Apple has pulled out all the stops reciently. I am glad to see this. In the guise of "lets just play nice" they are really saying "we are here for the long fight" in a multi front war - Quicktime(AVC), rendezvous, music/media integration. Each one of these is a well devoloped product. In concert, they are unstopable. Apple has got some nice things up their sleeve. I can't wait.

22. macrumors 6502a

i think iChat AV 2 is going to come out for windows 6 months after tiger is released.

this rendezvous announcement and the revelation that tiger server will incorporate an encrypted, behind a firewall, iChat server. a cheap, fast, stable, encrypted video conferencing system might be way too tempting for corporate america.

if the cost of getting businesses to drop several grand on xServes and iSights, i think apple would be willing to give up free iChat for windows. as a bonus, while some consumers will cheat and figure out a way to use cameras other than iSight, the vast majority of people either won't know how or can't be bothered and will buy iSights as well.

iSight and iChat AV 2, could become as big as the iPod is.

23. macrumors 68020

Given that XCode distributed compile only works if both the OS and the gcc version are the same build and version, I really doubt it :)

I think Apple would get dgcc working on multiple 10.3.x installations before branching off to 10.3.x+Linux (and of course PPC+x86 gcc code bases) ...

24. macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

WTF?!?! That better be a freaking typo. I DO NOT use Internet Exploder for anything other then Windows Updates. Apple dang well better support Mozilla and FireFox!! :confused:

25. macrumors 68000

wPod

hmmm. . . apples new tag line 'works for windows also!'