Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xmlsheldo

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2013
It most certainly isn't. If you have a similar issue wit your 13 rMBP, it is most likely isolated to you and is probably hardware related. Take it in and get it replaced.

Passed the hardware test with flying colours. Its a little weird that that the issue is appearing in both models but is fixed on the 15in.... one has to hope a fix for the 13 is on its way.

djbuddha

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2011
Sorry, the work I do actually requires a MacPro which I use..

Can't do it with a 1MB GPU.

-P

----------

Oh it works great for 'graphic' design...not so much for motion graphics/higher end after effects/VCP and other video intensive applications and editing.

Then again, a MBAir does 'graphic' design just fine also.

1 GB you mean?

I bought mine back in October and use FCP and FCP X.. Works fine.

You have to realize that you're asking for Mac Pro specs in a mobile machine. I appreciate that you wanted more out of the first gen, but you know that Apple doesn't do leading edge EVERYTHING in their new products. Gen 2 may not be up to your standards either. If you want to do major rendering, stick with a Mac Pro for now. Doesn't mean that the machine's a waste.

I will say that IT SEEMS they really REALLY messed things up with Macbook update 2.0 (as I read) which is why I never installed it. Running 10.8.2 without the macbook update has been flawless in my experience. Unless there's MAJOR changes with all the updates rolled out today .. I may not update unless I'm forced to reformat.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Nah, this machine has been laggy/underpowered for the screen. It needs a 2GB GPU in it to be a 'Pro' machine and able to power that screen correctly. I won't even touch it for video/graphic work. It's just not up to par yet.

Funny how people blame a very specific hardware component (in this case, VRAM capacity) when they have, in fact, no clue why scrolling is laggy.

Disliking the laginess is fine, but don't try to diagnose the problem of you know nothing about it.

Last edited:

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
Nah, this machine has been laggy/underpowered for the screen. It needs a 2GB GPU in it to be a 'Pro' machine and able to power that screen correctly. I won't even touch it for video/graphic work. It's just not up to par yet.

You really should change your name/handle to 'myth'. I make my mortgage doing graphic and video work. I own two rMBPs. We've sold our 2009 Mac Pro because these guys are just as powerful but portable. SSD and the IPS Screen is icing on the cake. Silly statement. Actually a completely ignorant statement. Sorry--but you couldn't be 'more wrong'.

Unbelievable

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
scared

So, my 2012 2.6/16/256 rMBP has been just fine, I'm almost afraid to make these type of updates (having done it in the past with 2008 and 2010 MBP and having had it cause more problems than it solved.

Can one get to 10.8.3 without doing the SMC update?

Josheh

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2008
Oh it works great for 'graphic' design...not so much for motion graphics/higher end after effects/VCP and other video intensive applications and editing.

Then again, a MBAir does 'graphic' design just fine also.

To be fair, a laptop isn't suitable for highend graphics in general for any number of reasons. For what it is though, it works pretty well. I also mentioned 3D Studio Max because I've thrown more at it than just 'graphic' design. But thanks for coming at me with that condescending attitude.

Let's be realistic though. Laptops generally aren't aimed at people doing highend graphics. I'm talking applications like Nuke, 3dsmax, vray, maya, etc. Or in your case... After Effects. If you seriously purchased a MacBook Retina with the hopes of doing highend graphics like that, on a regular bias, then I don't know. I wouldn't want to go as far as to call you dumb, but that would be a huge misstep on your part. There's a reason money gets dumped into highend workstations and we aren't all fitted with laptops. That sort of raw power isn't in a laptop without being compromised in some fashion.

These laptops are suitable for graphic design though, lite graphic work. As I said, I've used 3dsmax on it. I may not load up a 3 million poly scene, or do renders that might take 6 hours, but it has proved itself to me that it can handle some of these task if need be. I don't expect it to be a highend workstation though, but apparently you do? And apparently it's a crappy product because it isn't comparable to a highend workstation...

I don't know if you actually own a macbook retina or if you're just complaining about it because it isn't your MacPro. As someone that has used it though, I find it to be a wonderful little machine. It has stood up well to all I've thrown at it. But then, like I said, I don't come into it expecting it to be a highend workstation.

You also mentioned earlier about wanting it in the old MacBook case. You know though, I like the case it's in. I liked it more than the old one. I'm not sure what you're missing from the old one? Firewire? dvd drive? Not sure. Those elements that aren't missing, to me, or are things I am happy to do without. I've not had to use an ethernet port, firewire port, or dvd drive in years.

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
Yeeees :)

----------

So, my 2012 2.6/16/256 rMBP has been just fine, I'm almost afraid to make these type of updates (having done it in the past with 2008 and 2010 MBP and having had it cause more problems than it solved.

Can one get to 10.8.3 without doing the SMC update?

Are you crazy? Firmware updates are the most important ones. If you have a retina update now and fix that damn slow performance GPU bug finally!

Josheh

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2008
You really should change your name/handle to 'myth'. I make my mortgage doing graphic and video work. I own two rMBPs. We've sold our 2009 Mac Pro because these guys are just as powerful but portable. SSD and the IPS Screen is icing on the cake. Silly statement. Actually a completely ignorant statement. Sorry--but you couldn't be 'more wrong'.

Unbelievable

I can't imagine this guy actually owns one, and if he does, I don't know what he expects? I've done moderate to heavy work and found it a very capable device. I took the chance on this laptop even after people like this guy, after reading his complaints. Turns out, it was a great investment. It did everything I needed a laptop to do. It's everything I've come to expect from an Apple Laptop.

Josheh

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2008
Honestly it always seems to be people who don't own one, talking about all the issues they have.

I'm starting to think that. Either that, or they have unrealistic expectations. From users of the laptop, I've heard great things. Those that complain, they don't seem to indicate that they actually own one. The laptop has had it's issues, from what I understand, but they aren't issues I've encountered. Even with the issues mentioned by those that actually own it, they still seem to think it's a great computer.

----------

slightly too long, but well put.

Haha, sorry, but thanks. I'll need to start adding a TL;DR to my long winded post.

TL;DR It's not a highend workstation, stop expecting it to be. For what it is, marketed as, it's great. :p

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
I can't imagine this guy actually owns one, and if he does, I don't know what he expects? I've done moderate to heavy work and found it a very capable device. I took the chance on this laptop even after people like this guy, after reading his complaints. Turns out, it was a great investment. It did everything I needed a laptop to do. It's everything I've come to expect from an Apple Laptop.

I don't own one. I went over to the local Apple store and had them load up the programs I needed, with the media I usually use and tested one via the business center. Wasn't up to par for my needs and the lag/delay wasn't acceptable for a 'Pro' machine.

----------

Unbelievable

That's nice you make your mortage. Doesn't mean you are correct.

A 'Pro' machine should be able to do 'Pro' work. Not mid range stuff/average user stuff.

Sorry, but you're the ignorant one.

crazy dave

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2010
Interesting ... The Witcher 2 is a graphics intensive game and a lot of people with Retina MacBook Pros complained about it being horribly laggy while iMac people seemed to say it was fine, even better than what you would expect given the sys requirements. It's a pity its review scores (on the Mac App Store) got hammered because people blamed the devs instead of Apple for the poor performance despite the rMBP easily surpassing the minimum sys requirements for the game. I wonder if this fix fixes those issues or the port is also not well optimized?

djenritite

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2013
i have a macbook pro mid 2012 no retina and i not have update. I have the same problem like retina, what i do? should i spect an update? my problems with games is serious!

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
To be fair, a laptop isn't suitable for highend graphics in general for any number of reasons. For what it is though, it works pretty well. I also mentioned 3D Studio Max because I've thrown more at it than just 'graphic' design. But thanks for coming at me with that condescending attitude.

Let's be realistic though. Laptops generally aren't aimed at people doing highend graphics. I'm talking applications like Nuke, 3dsmax, vray, maya, etc. Or in your case... After Effects. If you seriously purchased a MacBook Retina with the hopes of doing highend graphics like that, on a regular bias, then I don't know. I wouldn't want to go as far as to call you dumb, but that would be a huge misstep on your part. There's a reason money gets dumped into highend workstations and we aren't all fitted with laptops. That sort of raw power isn't in a laptop without being compromised in some fashion.

These laptops are suitable for graphic design though, lite graphic work. As I said, I've used 3dsmax on it. I may not load up a 3 million poly scene, or do renders that might take 6 hours, but it has proved itself to me that it can handle some of these task if need be. I don't expect it to be a highend workstation though, but apparently you do? And apparently it's a crappy product because it isn't comparable to a highend workstation...

I don't know if you actually own a macbook retina or if you're just complaining about it because it isn't your MacPro. As someone that has used it though, I find it to be a wonderful little machine. It has stood up well to all I've thrown at it. But then, like I said, I don't come into it expecting it to be a highend workstation.

You also mentioned earlier about wanting it in the old MacBook case. You know though, I like the case it's in. I liked it more than the old one. I'm not sure what you're missing from the old one? Firewire? dvd drive? Not sure. Those elements that aren't missing, to me, or are things I am happy to do without. I've not had to use an ethernet port, firewire port, or dvd drive in years.

Well you have to remember that the iMac also uses laptop guts and mobile GPUs in almost just as a skinny/cramped/heated environment now as the Retina does. If you've seen the new iMac enclosure, you realize just how cramped they have everything on that board.

I could understand if the iMac used desktop GPUs but it doesnt. It uses the mobile chipset.

It has the ability to do the higher end motion graphics and runs circles around the 'Retina' laptop because it has the 2GB NVidia GTX chipset vs the 1 GB GT chipset. So if they can pull that off in the iMac and that isn't a 'Pro' machine with just how ridiculously thin that thing is, then they can pull it off in the Retina.

That's the issue. A 'Pro' moniker is attached to the laptop while the 'average' user machine doesn't have 'Pro' in it's name, yet has the better 'Pro' specs by a long shot. The most important thing is the GPU for a 'Pro' machine.

I really believe Gen2 will have the 2GB card and Gen1 was literally a 'test' machine.

As for the case, I like the weight of the old case/thickness...makes the machine feel more grounded on the desktop.

Last edited:

CptnJustc

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2007
Oh, thank the Great Ghost of Steve Jobs. I'd been looking for this since pretty much the Retina's release, and had begun to give up hope. Hope it works!

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Interesting ... The Witcher 2 is a graphics intensive game and a lot of people with Retina MacBook Pros complained about it being horribly laggy while iMac people seemed to say it was fine, even better than what you would expect given the sys requirements. It's a pity its review scores (on the Mac App Store) got hammered because people blamed the devs instead of Apple for the poor performance despite the rMBP easily surpassing the minimum sys requirements for the game. I wonder if this fix fixes those issues or the port is also not well optimized?

Mobile Nvidia 1GB GTX 675MX or 2GB GTX 680MX in the iMac

vs

Mobile Nvidia 1 GB GeForce GT 650M

GTX is a high end gaming chip. GT is a mid ranged chip.

crazy dave

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2010
Mobile Nvidia 1GB GTX 675MX or 2GB GTX 680MX in the iMac

vs

Mobile Nvidia 1 GB GeForce GT 650M

GTX is a high end gaming chip. GT is a mid ranged chip.

Even older iMacs with much less powerful graphics cards than the rMBP were running it alright (no where near the highest settings of course) according to the reviews, that's what I meant, not just the newer ones. The rMBP graphics chip is supposed to be able to run the game (again not at the highest settings of course, but I'm just talking about being able to play the game at reduced settings).

Josheh

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2008
I don't own one. I went over to the local Apple store and had them load up the programs I needed, with the media I usually use and tested one via the business center. Wasn't up to par for my needs and the lag/delay wasn't acceptable for a 'Pro' machine.

Right, so you were comparing it to a highend workstation. You also didn't have any real world or extended experience on it, so made quick judgements based on a limited test. A test, that let's be honest, you probably should have known the expected outcome on. Heck, I'm fully aware that if I load up one of those 3 million polygon scenes on that laptop, it'll be working hard, it'll be chugging. That scene, it brought highend workstations to it's knees. I'm not going to expect a laptop to breeze through it like a spring day. I never met a laptop that I was convinced could handle it and I'd be damn surprised if it did.

You went into that with unrealistic expectations and got mad when it didn't meet them.

By the way, a laptop computer doesn't have to be a highend workstation able to handle the demands of such intensive applications to be considered a professional computer. There's lots of professionals that use the Macbook Retina every day. I'd be incredibly dumb to think I could replace my workstation computer with a laptop when it comes to such computer intensive applications. I don't think there's anyone in this office with me that would think you could. Personally though, I'd find the 15" screen a bit of a drag to use for awhile in such applications. I'd prefer a dual monitor setup, preferably one of them to be a Cintiq. Remember when I said I'd be surprised if a laptop did handle some of the more intensive applications? Yeah, well, there's the killer. Even if it could handle it, I wouldn't want it on such a cramped screen as is usually provided by a laptop. I only do that when I have to, when I'm remote somewhere. At a client's place, or in a hotel doing some late night work, or whatever.

For the applications I use it for, that 'graphic' design area that you seem to think is child's play, it works well for that and can easily be considered a professional level laptop.

TL;DR You were unrealistic in your expectations and then went on to lead a life trash talking it because it didn't meet those unrealistic expectations.

CptnJustc

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2007
Even older iMacs with much less powerful graphics cards than the rMBP were running it alright (no where near the highest settings of course) according to the reviews, that's what I meant, not just the newer ones. The rMBP graphics chip is supposed to be able to run the game (again not at the highest settings of course, but I'm just talking about being able to play the game at reduced settings).

Right, it was definitely about more than just the chip. I would often get terrible frame rates if I hadn't reset my SMC for a while. Playing after resetting would get WoW up from about 6 fps at 2880x1800 to about 20 (not great, but vastly more playable).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.