Apple Releases Safari 6 Update for OS X Lion

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 25, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Alongside OS X Mountain Lion 10.8, Apple has released the updated version of Safari to OS X Lion (10.7). It is available in OS X Lion's Software Update. According to Apple, the new Safari contains new features, including:

- Smart Search Field. Safari now has one field for typing both searches and web addresses.
    - Offline Reading List. Safari saves entire webpages in your Reading List so you can catch up on your reading even when you don't have an internet connection.
    - Do Not Track. Safari can send the websites you visit a request not to track you online.
    - Password pane. Manage your saved website logins with the new Password pane.
    - Baidu. The leading Chinese search engine Baidu is now a built-in option for Chinese users.
    For more information about Safari, please visit:

Safari 6 for OS X Lion also includes improvements to stability, compatibility, usability and security, including changes that:

- Make the swipe to navigate gesture work with PDFs.
    - Restore the state of Reading List when Safari is launched.
    - Fix an issue that affected full screen video in webpages that have positioned content.
    - Restore the user's previous cookies after Private Browsing without requiring a Safari relaunch.

Article Link: Apple Releases Safari 6 Update for OS X Lion
  2. macrumors regular

Sep 7, 2010
    Ozone Park, New York
  3. macrumors 6502

Oct 4, 2010
  4. macrumors 68000

Jun 22, 2006
    I noticed there's an iWork update, too, and it makes all of them compatible w/ iCloud once Mountain Lion is installed. That's really good news; no need to pay for an upgrade to that suite.
  5. macrumors 6502a

Mar 6, 2012
  6. macrumors 6502

Apr 11, 2012
    Is it just me or does the Reader button look uncomfortable now?
    Also, Safari feels much snappier! ;)
  7. macrumors newbie

Jul 25, 2012
  8. macrumors 6502

Mmmmm. Safari is feeling much snappier. Good job Apple.:D
  9. macrumors 6502a

Dec 9, 2006
  10. macrumors 6502

Oct 28, 2011
    Okay this meme is just getting old now. Can we actually discuss the changes in Safari 6?

On a side note, does anyone think that the prevalence of the number 6 in recent products (iOS6, Safari 6) implies that the 6th generation iPhone will be called the iPhone 6?
  11. macrumors newbie

May 29, 2012
    Oh wow, over 2 gigs of updates. Looking forward to one search field in safari - long overdue in my opinion.
  12. AirThis, Jul 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012

macrumors 6502a

Mar 6, 2012
    I've opened part of a page in Dashboard, but it won't go away. Guess I'm safari 6 challenged. :D

Edit: never mind, just figured this one out. It's just like any other widget. Duh... :)
  13. macrumors 6502a

Jan 18, 2004
    TX or MI
  14. macrumors member

Aug 18, 2006
    So no Safari 6 for Snow Leopard

Yeah great support for Snow Leopard Indeed.

A happy happy Mac Pro 1.1 user. Have fun with Apple.
  15. macrumors member

Jan 21, 2006
    I was hoping, though not expecting, that Snow Leopard would at least get Safari 6 as its last version...guess not.

Good thing playing around with Chromium last week. Looks like it's my SL browser of choice.

Sorry Apple, Lion/Mt Lion doesn't cut it in my production environment! (Print company).
  16. macrumors regular

Aug 14, 2009
  17. macrumors regular

Dec 5, 2010
    Barrie, ON
    Where's the Windows version? Is Safari Mac only again?
  18. macrumors member

Mar 4, 2009
    It appears there is a Windows version possibly? On my work Windows machine when I run apple software update it says new software is available but shows nothing in the list to select.
  19. macrumors 6502

Jun 23, 2009
    Ottawa, Canada
    No Mountain Lion available yet, so might as well try these instead until store settles down.
  20. macrumors 6502

Nov 2, 2007
    I'm a bit nervous about the smart search, because I type my URLs without http and I wonder if it will start searching for the URLs instead of going directly to them, and vice-versa :confused:

I haven't got Lion to test it, anyone can give some thoughts on their experience on the unified address/search?
  21. macrumors 6502

Dec 10, 2009
    You didn't. :D
  22. macrumors member

Oct 12, 2007
    My download went through immediately. When I go to install, it says my hard disk is used for time machine backups. After disabling TM, and doing a restart, I get the same message when I go to the screen where you select where to install.
  23. macrumors 68000

Oct 15, 2008
    We will.
  24. macrumors regular

Sep 10, 2008
    And nobody noticed that Apple just quietly killed Safari for Windows? Good riddance.

That leaves iTunes as the last remaining Apple software for Windows.
  25. macrumors 6502

Jun 15, 2011
    Only using it on Lion, but wow - Safari 6 is blazing. Or "snappy", as all you guys say. :p