Apple Releases Security Update 2004-09-07

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Hemingray, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

In your software update:

Security Update 2004-09-07 delivers a number of security enhancements and is recommended for all Macintosh users. This update includes the following components:

CoreFoundation
    IPSec
    Kerberos
    libpcap
    lukemftpd
    NetworkConfig
    OpenLDAP
    OpenSSH
    PPPDialer
    rsync
    Safari
    tcpdump

For detailed information on this Update, please visit this website: http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n61798

2. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Safari? What should be wrong with safari? The version and build is the same...

3. TopCatz macrumors member

No Probs

Just installed on iMac G3 - no meltdown so far!
    Damn - I wish I just installed Win SP 2 so I would have something to moan about. Guess I'll have to suffer an easy life. :rolleyes:

4. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

Just checked the link, and apparently this one is only for 10.2.8 users. Newer versions of Safari are unaffected. (It's a javascript/array bounds check issue)

5. Gordon Werner macrumors newbie

just becasue they update libraries belonging to the application doesn't mean they have to increment the version number

here is the complete list of changes:

Component: Apache 2
    CVE-IDs: CAN-2004-0493, CAN-2004-0488
    Available for: Mac OS X Server 10.2.8, Mac OS X Server 10.3.4, Mac OS X Server 10.3.5
    Impact: Exposure to a potential Denial of Service.
    Description: The Apache Organization has released Apache version 2.0.50. This release fixes a number of denial of service vulnerabilities. We have updated Apache to version 2.0.50 which only ships with Mac OS X Server, and is off by default.

Component: CoreFoundation
    CVE-ID: CAN-2004-0821
    Available for: Mac OS X 10.2.8, Mac OS X 10.3.4, Mac OS X 10.3.5, Mac OS X Server 10.2.8, Mac OS X Server 10.3.4, Mac OS X Server 10.3.5
    Impact: Privileged programs using CoreFoundation can be made to load a user supplied library.
    Description: Bundles using the CoreFoundation CFPlugIn facilities can include directions to automatically load plugin executables. With a specially crafted bundle this could also occur for privileged programs, permitting a local privilege escalation. CoreFoundation now prevents automatic executable loading for bundles that already have a loaded executable. Credit to Kikuchi Masashi <kik@ms.u-tokyo.ac.jp> for reporting this issue.

Component: CoreFoundation
    CVE-ID: CAN-2004-0822
    Available for: Mac OS X 10.2.8, Mac OS X 10.3.4, Mac OS X 10.3.5, Mac OS X Server 10.2.8, Mac OS X Server 10.3.4, Mac OS X Server 10.3.5
    Impact: An environment variable can be manipulated to cause a buffer overflow which can result in a privilege escalation
    Description: By manipulating local environment variables a program could potentially be leveraged by a local attacker to execute arbitrary code. This can only be exploited with access to a local account. Validity checks for local environment variables are now provided. Credit to <aaron@vtty.com> for reporting this issue.

Component: IPSec
    CVE-ID: CAN-2004-0607
    Impact: When using certificates, unauthenticated hosts may be able to negotiate an IPSec connection.
    Description: When configured to use X.509 certificates to authenticate remote hosts, a certificate verification failure does not abort the key exchange. Mac OS X does not use certificates for IPSec by default so this issue only affects configurations that have been manually configured. IPSec now verifies and aborts a key exchange if a certificate verification failure occurs.

Component: Kerberos
    CVE-ID: CAN-2004-0523
    Impact: Multiple buffer overflows in krb5_aname_to_localname for MIT Kerberos 5 (krb5) 1.3.3 and earlier could permit remote attackers to execute arbitrary code.
    Description: The buffer overflow can only be exploited if "auth_to_local_names" or "auth_to_local" support is also configured in the edu.mit.Kerberos file. Apple does not enable this by default. The security fix was back ported and applied to the Mac OS X versions of Kerberos. The Mac OS X and Mac OS X Server version of Kerberos is not susceptible to the recent "double-free" issue reported in the CERT vulnerability note VU#350792 (CAN-2004-0772). Credit to the MIT Kerberos Development Team for informing us of this issue.

Component: lukemftpd
    CVE-ID: CAN-2004-0794
    Impact: A race condition that can permit an authenticated remote attacker to cause a denial of service or execute arbitrary code
    Description: If the FTP service has been enabled, and a remote attacker can correctly authenticate, then a race condition would permit them to stop the FTP service or execute arbitary code. The fix is to replace the lukemftpd FTP service with tnftpd. lukemftp is installed but not activated in Mac OS X Server, which instead uses xftp. Credit to Luke Mewburn of the NetBSD Foundation for informing us of this issue.

Component: OpenLDAP
    CVE-ID: CAN-2004-0823
    Available for: Mac OS X 10.3.4, Mac OS X 10.3.5, Mac OS X Server 10.3.4, Mac OS X Server 10.3.5
    Impact: A crypt password can be used as if it were a plain text password.
    Description: Backwards compatibility with older LDAP implementations permits the storing of a crypt password in the userPassword attribute. Some authentication validation schemes can use this value as if it were a plain text password. The fix removes the ambiguity and always uses this type of field as a crypt password. This issue does not occur in Mac OS X 10.2.8. Credit to Steve Revilak of Kayak Software Corporation for reporting this issue.

Component: OpenSSH
    CVE-ID: CAN-2004-0175
    Impact: A malicious ssh/scp server can overwrite local files
    Description: A directory traversal vulnerability in the scp program permits a malicious remote server to overwrite local files. The security fix was backported and applied to the Mac OS X versions of OpenSSH.

Component: PPPDialer
    CVE-ID: CAN-2004-0824
    Impact: A malicious user can overwrite system files resulting in a local privilege escalation
    Description: PPP components performed insecure accesses of a file stored in a world-writeable location. The fix moves the log files to a non-world-writeable location.

Component: QuickTime Streaming Server
    Available for: Mac OS X Server 10.2.8, Mac OS X Server 10.3.4, Mac OS X Server 10.3.5

CVE-ID: CAN-2004-0825
    Impact: A denial of service requiring a restart of the QuickTime Streaming Server
    Description: A particular sequence of client operations can cause a deadlock on the QuickTime Streaming Server. The fix updates the code to eliminate this deadlock condition.

Component: rsync
    CVE-ID: CAN-2004-0426
    Impact: When rsync is run in daemon mode a remote attacker can write outside of the module path unless the chroot option has been set.
    Description: rsync before version 2.6.1 does not properly sanitize paths when running a read/write daemon with the chroot option turned off. The fix updates rsync to version 2.6.2.

Component: Safari
    CVE-ID: CAN-2004-0361
    Available for: Mac OS X 10.2.8, Mac OS X Server 10.2.8
    Impact: A JavaScript array of negative size can cause Safari to access out of bounds memory resulting in an application crash.
    Description: Storing objects into a JavaScript array allocated with negative size can overwrite memory. Safari now stops processing JavaScript programs if an array allocation fails.
    This security enhancement was previously made available in Safari 1.0.3, and is being applied inside the Mac OS X 10.2.8 operating system as an extra layer of protection for customers who have not installed that version of Safari. This is a specific fix for Mac OS X 10.2.8 and the issue does not exist in Mac OS X 10.3 or later systems.

Component: Safari
    CVE-ID: CAN-2004-0720
    Impact: An untrusted web site can inject content into a frame intended to be used by another domain.
    Description: A web site that uses multiple frames can have some of its frames replaced with content from a malicious site if the malicious site is visited first. The fix imposes a set of parent/child rules preventing the attack.

Component: SquirrelMail
    CVE-ID: CAN-2004-0521
    Impact: SquirrelMail before 1.4.3 RC1 allows remote attackers to execute unauthorized SQL statements
    Description: SquirrelMail before 1.4.3 RC1 is vulnerable to SQL injection which permits unauthorized SQL statements to be run. The fix updates SquirrelMail to version 1.4.3a

Component: tcpdump
    CVE-IDs: CAN-2004-0183, CAN-2004-0184
    Impact: Maliciously crafted packets can cause a crash of a running tcpdump
    Description: The detailed printing functions for ISAKMP packets do not perform correct bounds checking and cause an out-of-bounds read which results in a crash. The fix updates tcpdump to version 3.8.3.

6. tsunake macrumors newbie

This is why we have hypertext. The link's in the first post anyways.

7. djdarlek macrumors regular

DO you get the feeling we are not about to have to start worrying about viruses? :D

I've just put my crappy XP machine on the internet, and already, just a day later, i'm being bugged by this; http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/LinkReplacer.html

It's a right pain in the ass, but at least the pop-ups start with something that makes sense.... "Microsoft Warning!" fair point.

I CANNOT wait until my G5 iMac arrives and I can thow this noisy piece-o-s**t away.

8. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Had an odd hang when it went to restart, but I did an fsck and permissions repair afterwards and all seems to be fine.

9. Tulse macrumors regular

Kudos to Apple for the detail they provide about the fixes (they even mention who alerted them -- how cool is that?). This openness should go a long way towards correcting Apple's reputation for secrecy regarding security.

10. fatbarstard macrumors member

Security Update number ??

It is me or does it seem that there are more security updates than ever from Apple??

A couple of years ago security updates were infrequently, but now it seems that they a coming every couple of months - does this indicate slippage in quality control??? :confused:

11. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

And that's your fault for using Internet Imploder. :rolleyes: If you don't know how to drive a car get off the road. If you don't know how to operate Windows safely get off the platform. And if you are forced to either drive a car or use Windows then LEARN how to use it safely. Easy no?
    No one who is interested in a secure environment takes Internet Exploder seriously. That was your first mistake. Second. Do you have a firewall? No? Second mistake. Third. Windows Update? Never did it? Game over man! Game over!!

12. robotrenegade macrumors 6502a

13. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

No its reality kicking in. To clue people in who think the fabled perfect OS exists *hands them a cheat sheet that says: No such thing!!!!!*

No OS is going to be flawless and that sure as heck includes OS X or OS XI or OS XII. or OS pi.

14. swissmann macrumors 6502a

swissmann

I have a theory - can anyone back me up on it. Apple releases a new major OS update which is quick because it doesn't have to patch all this stuff. People find security holes and now all the patches get in the way and slow things down. It just seems like each time I install one of these patches things to slow down a bit. Any experience from anyone?

15. shawnce macrumors 65816

I don't see much of a change given the history...

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61798
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25631

More folks then ever are using Mac OS X hence more developers, etc. playing around finding issues as well as Mac OS X is including more and more functionality (Apples own and third-party). Also Apple is being relatively proactive about getting patches out quickly more so then in the beginning of Mac OS X. I don't think is shows much of a quality issue...

16. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

You shouldn't notice any slowdown if you take the proper procedures. (although I've never experienced any slow down of any kind when installing an Apple update, rather an increase in speed)

Repair Permissions
    periodic daily/weekly/monthly
    fsck
    update prebindings
    pray to god that your computer does not melt down.

17. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

I know about the first 2. What's fsck and prebindings?

18. Mehmet macrumors member

hey dude, if you're gonna throw it away, i'll pay for shipping/pick up and get it from you. I wouldn't mind another websurfing machine :)

19. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

So you're saying then, that:

1. It's not Microsoft's fault if an XP user uses Internet Explorer and bad things happen;

2. You must learn to fully and properly use the software before using a computer (this would prohibit 99% of people from using them)

3. The user, not the software manufacturer, is responsible for making the software secure enough to use in real-life applications...

Need I go on?

Seriously, it's one thing to blindly say "PCs suck Macs rule end of debate", but everything he mentioned were valid points that many, many users deal with. PC users, not Mac users. I've never had a page hijack my browser simply because I dared use the software that came installed :eek:

having a bad day are we?

paul

20. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    just installed. i havent had any sercurity issues in the past but i suppose its better not to tempt fate :)

21. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

I have absolutely no idea. :D

I just know it's good for your computer if you do it a couple of times every month.

Google it if you want more info. ;)

EDIT: i forgot how to use them. open up the terminal, type fsck, fsck will do it's thing then when your done type 'sudo update_prebinding -root -force /' and that will update your prebindings. to repair permissions in the terminal type 'diskutil repairpermissions /'.

22. djdarlek macrumors regular

hey man, where exactly did I say IE? :confused: I may have to switch back to XP for a while but i'm not suicidal! Firefox all the way. :)

As to the updates.. i wish I could've gotten that far. It says there's 18 or so updates, but it completely died while trying to install them. :eek: I don't think it'll ever get to SP2 at this rate. And have installed about 5 virus checkers which all tell me that I have x and y viruses but than ask for $z to remove them. :(

23. autrefois macrumors 65816

autrefois

fsck: Info from Apple here (or try here)

prebindings: Look here and scroll down to the "Update the prebinding" section.

pray to god that your computer does not melt down: This site might help. :D

24. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Installed update.

Restarted.
    Repaired permissions.
    Opened Safari.
    Tried to reply to this thread.

Kernel Panic!

Stupid security update. :mad:

25. jwhitnah macrumors regular

jwhitnah

Kind of harsh. It's easy to say, but learning the platform and its problems can take a while. I have to have a PC because of my work. Setting it loose on the internet is like dropping off a hot promiscuous teen in the inner city, that is, it is quickly infected.