Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ioinc

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
Clearwater, Florida
gorkonapple said:
EXACTLY!

4. Making Apple's browser load and render incorrectly coded web pages is something no one wants.

Why would somebody not want a browser that would load and render all pages regardless how well they were coded?

If its possible for a browser to render a page ... even if the code is not perfect, is this not an advantage over one that can't?

You are taking a very strict stance on this issue that does not apply to the real world. People just want it to work. If it words on IE and not Safari they think that IE is better (which is a logical conclusion). The general population does not turn around and blame the site for poor code. They don't think about it that hard. They know two things. It works on the M$ product and not the apple.

gorkonapple

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2004
Columbus, OH
ioinc said:
Why would somebody not want a browser that would load and render all pages regardless how well they were coded?

If its possible for a browser to render a page ... even if the code is not perfect, is this not an advantage over one that can't?

You are taking a very strict stance on this issue that does not apply to the real world. People just want it to work. If it words on IE and not Safari they think that IE is better (which is a logical conclusion). The general population does not turn around and blame the site for poor code. They don't think about it that hard. They know two things. It works on the M$ product and not the apple.

Oh where do I start? Let's see....if a web page is coded incorrectly just like any other computer problem it should have a problem rendering it. The only standard that hsould be adhered to is the standards as set by W3C...NOT MICROSOFT. If everyone just coded their page to that standard, we'd not have issues of pages breaking when Apple finds a hole. If this kind of thing starts, you will have a literal break down of the internet. W3C sets these standards for interopability. Granted, if they fix it, it will only because we users wanted it the wrong way instead of the right way. This will end up like the netscape/IE war all over again except it will also include Safari/Konquerer, Opera and other browsers. I am sick of browsers that don't follow the standard. Safari has been pretty good with this respect. Also, as some have noticed, it's easy to get some companies attention. Case in point, when the patch was released, CompUSA's website was broken. Within less then a day, they had it fixed. How many of you e-mailed website developers and had that quick of a response? They even replied to my e-mail.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Thanks for v1.1

In addition to the FTP problems noted by others, I started having issues with Mail and Safari. Mail wouldn't reliably connect to my mail accounts, either inbound or outbound, and Safari seemed to hang on every other page. It felt as though dns lookups were randomly failing. Meanwhile, my wife's in the other room doing mail and browsing without problems (XP):(

Anyway, I applied the v1.1 update and all is well, again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.