Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gdbleb

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2008
NJ
I know this isn't big news, but the new switch/buttons on the headphones is a big deal for me. It's awesome, and about time. I'm willing to buy new ones just for this reason alone.

The rounded edges of the switch/buttons will help prevent that section from getting snagged on clothing, which happens to me all the time with the old design - which is very, very annoying.

Thank you Apple for making an improvement in a small thing (sweating the details).

Agreed. This is a major annoyance for me. The level of the control is right below the collar of a man's shirt. Turn my head to the right and it rises and catches on my collar - all the time, every time.

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
Cue the price complaints.
I think Apple's well within their right to charge whatever they see fit for their accessories.

That said.. They have yet to earn a dime from my wallet in this category. People are only fooling themselves if they don't think every last Lightning cable is made at the same factory in China. I'll take my $3 Monoprice cable thank you very much! ;)

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
I think Apple's well within their right to charge whatever they see fit for their accessories.

That said.. They have yet to earn a dime from my wallet in this category. People are only fooling themselves if they don't think every last Lightning cable is made at the same factory in China. I'll take my $3 Monoprice cable thank you very much! ;)

They're definitely different factories. 1/2 of the Lightning cables are junk. The connector is different than the Apple original too. I even had one that fell apart when I first took it from the package. There is a difference in quality but not one that paying $20 more is worth generally. Having said that, my Belkin car charger with an Apple licensed Lightning connector is much better quality than any of the cheap cables on the market and well worth the $20 I paid for it.

kycophpd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
Louisville, Kentucky
I am still amazed every thread I see about the pricing of any of these products. Research and Development at Apple is one of the biggest costs they have and no one ever wants to equate this into the price. That has to be paid for somewhere. I know Apple is one of the most profitable companies out there but their is a reason why. Selling high quality products at a high quality price. It is what it is.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Personally, I need a LONGER cable. Having to position myself closer to either a USB or outlet connection while using my iPad is a PITA.
Or you could buy a USB extension cable. I have 2 6ft ones that I bought for the price of a soda. Thus, I can now sit 15ft away from my outlet/USB port :)

kcamfork

Suspended
Oct 7, 2011
I'm sure if Apple comes out with a 10ft cable, they certainly wouldn't charge the same price. It'll probably be $25 or $29. It a joke that they can charge that much for the cable.

I wish there was a longer option sold by Apple. I bought the griffin 3 meter cable and love it. I hate the short ones--the only kind apple has provided up until now.

----------

Or you could buy a USB extension cable. I have 2 6ft ones that I bought for the price of a soda. Thus, I can now sit 15ft away from my outlet/USB port :)

The extension cables introduce a bottleneck. Your device charges much more slowly.

theipodgod16

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2003
Berkeley, CA
Those earbuds (I've owned a pair for six years) are dangerous, at least for me. The rubber seals on mine have gotten stuck in my ears so many times I've lost count. Once, I had to have a very close special friend use tweezers to remove the seal. I was inches away from having to visit the ER.

I bought them to block out the noise on the subway, but I'm seriously thinking of getting a pair of the newly-released basic ones. I rarely use the $79 ones anymore.

kcamfork

Suspended
Oct 7, 2011
I am still amazed every thread I see about the pricing of any of these products. Research and Development at Apple is one of the biggest costs they have and no one ever wants to equate this into the price. That has to be paid for somewhere. I know Apple is one of the most profitable companies out there but their is a reason why. Selling high quality products at a high quality price. It is what it is.

Nintendo charges $9.99 for a replacement AC adapter for the 3DS. Surely Apple can charge less than $38 for the cable/block combo.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009

I have a few left when Apple used to produce them, and a few third party. Also have a few USB/Wall Outlet combo's which frees up outlet space. However, some extension cables don't charge when used in conjunction with Apple's current cables (let's not discuss the 30-pin and lightning connections on differing models/devices). Just wish there would be a larger cable option as well as the shorter cables. :)

uknowimright

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2011
I have a few left when Apple used to produce them, and a few third party. Also have a few USB/Wall Outlet combo's which frees up outlet space. However, some extension cables don't charge when used in conjunction with Apple's current cables (let's not discuss the 30-pin and lightning connections on differing models/devices). Just wish there would be a larger cable option as well as the shorter cables. :)

try a USB 3 extension cable it worked with my 3rd gen iPad

ablashek

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2005
Paraguay
The obivous change is that they added more support for the wire going in and out of the remote. Probably lots of users ended up bending their cables, exposing the wire.

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
I'm currently travelling in Africa on a motorbike and every bit of unnecessary weight is a real pain.

I'd welcome one that's 100mm or less, I have ones that length to plug in my Garmin GPS.

Yeah, that extra 1/2 gram off your weight will really help...:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.