Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Availability of Apple's new 27" LED Cinema Display appears imminent, as the company has just released several software updates to support the new display. The new display went on sale last Friday with estimated shipping times of 1-2 weeks, a timeframe that still holds for new orders as of today.

165326-cinema_display_sound.jpg

LED Cinema Display Software Update 1.0 weighs in at 75.79 MB and requires Mac OS X 10.6.4. According to a support document for the release, the update makes several tweaks to users' System Preferences options for the new display, including for ambient light sensor settings and for routing sound output to the display's speakers.

For Windows users, Apple has expanded its driver package for the Magic Trackpad to also include support for the new display. The update appears set to come in 32-bit and 64-bit versions, although all of Apple's pages have not yet been updated to properly reflect the revised version just now coming available.

Article Link: Apple Releases Software Updates to Support New 27-Inch LED Cinema Display

finchna

macrumors regular
May 30, 2002
the first rating on this story is a negative ... what is up with that? did you not like the report? did you not like that drivers and prefs for the new screen had been released? please, what does negative vs. positive means on this board?

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
So who was the person trying to tell me the new 27 inch didn't use audio over Mini-DisplayPort? ROFL

Dae

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2009
the first rating on this story is a negative ... what is up with that? did you not like the report? did you not like that drivers and prefs for the new screen had been released? please, what does negative vs. positive means on this board?
Some people (not me) might not be happy that Apple didn't update Leopard and even Tiger.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
Where the hell is my AppleTV I ordered 3 weeks ago!?

Coming next week, because you know, when Steve Jobs said, "coming in 4 weeks" he didn't mean "oh, but bdkennedy1 is expecting it sooner, we should ship it out anyway."

Chill out, if it doesn't ship next week then you have a reason to get upset.

stylewriter

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2004
Johnson City, TN
Usb?

When will they remove the stupid USB port that runs the USB hub? I'd love to have both of the ones on my laptop free.

Displayport can handle USB traffic, and since they are using displayport for the sound, they hopefully will use the Displayport to run the internal USB soon... The old 24" display uses USB for the sound.

IMPMAC

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2009
PLEASE tell me that you can have an iMacs speakers and the Cinema Displays speakers both working at the same time, please please please.

I want to have the iMac be the left channel and the display as the right channel or have some special surround or something.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
Giant corporation has only one expensive computer monitor model for sale.
Unbelievable. :rolleyes:

That's because people weren't buying their other expensive computer monitors, so they figured why waste the money building two or three different sizes when they won't make much money anyway? So instead they build the 27-inch and price it competitively (for the moment). The only question is how long until other companies start dropping the prices on their 27-inch? Will Apple respond and drop the price of their own? Probably not, and the cycle will just be repeated, the sales will slump of this display and eventually Apple will just give up on displays all together.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
When will they remove the stupid USB port that runs the USB hub? I'd love to have both of the ones on my laptop free.

Displayport can handle USB traffic, and since they are using displayport for the sound, they hopefully will use the Displayport to run the internal USB soon... The old 24" display uses USB for the sound.

1) You can always choose to not plugin the USB plug. Or use the new USB ports given to you on the back of the display.

2) DisplayPort can handle USB traffic, but there is not a single implementation of this yet. I am thinking that there might be some technical reasons why it hasn't been used, perhaps related to the way that USB is implemented on the I/O controller portion of computers these days. It might not be that simple to route USB through video cards. Who knows, maybe it doesn't supply enough power when implemented, there is so many different requirements when it comes to USB, any number of things could prevent it.

Not that long ago, Apple came up with their own connector called Apple Display Connector which handled everything through a single cable, it was pretty brilliant in a way. It supplied power, USB, and video (although audio was absent because built in speakers weren't common back then). This was great until video card makers did not want to support it because it was expensive and caused issues because there wasn't enough power supplied to power some displays.

Apple only just now implemented audio over Mini-DisplayPort, and yet you expect them to have USB as well? Yeah, okay.

jent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
I take the the display needs to be connected to your Mac for the update to appear?

Anyone think they'll roll this update into 10.6.5 so that people who buy this display in the future don't need to download an update the first time they plug it in?

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
PLEASE tell me that you can have an iMacs speakers and the Cinema Displays speakers both working at the same time, please please please.

I want to have the iMac be the left channel and the display as the right channel or have some special surround or something.

Nope, won't work with what you are trying to do on a systemwide level at least. You can certainly write an application that can output to both at once though. An application like Plex for example can choose to output surround sound through the digital output and output interface sounds through another output at the same time.

Honestly, I am sorry to say it, but you idea sounds horrible. The speakers would not be balanced correctly and are likely to sound completely different because they aren't identical in their design. This would lead to one channel sounding great and another channel sounding really wonky. But hey, if you are a programmer go ahead and make a music player that does it for you, and report back with your findings.

I take the the display needs to be connected to your Mac for the update to appear?

Anyone think they'll roll this update into 10.6.5 so that people who buy this display in the future don't need to download an update the first time they plug it in?

Not sure, I haven't seen the update on my system yet. Maybe people with the 24 inch LED Cinema Display are seeing the update appear and that is how it got reported? Or maybe it's just taking awhile and some systems aren't seeing the update yet. Oh well, you can always just download it manually using the link that was provided in the post.

Apple usually bundles updates into the OS X updates, so yeah, when 10.6.5 is officially released people probably won't have to install this separately.

harry20larry

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2008
anybody with 10.6.5 installed, this update is already rolled into this update, no need to download.
Just got, "You don't need this update" message

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
Seriously, why do we even keep page two around anymore?

So you are implying that a software update that is required in order to use a newly released Apple product is not front page news on an Apple news site? Despite the fact that you probably aren't one of the people who bought this display, there are many people, including myself, who would like to know about an update that has to do with my display that I am waiting to be shipped.

Your kind of complaining is what led them to create the iPhone news page, just because people were complaining that the news was filled with too much iPhone stuff.

"The audacity of them to post about something I don't care about! I am going to make a comment about this, my voice must be heard, this nonsense must be stopped!"

Seriously just chill out, it's just a single post, the world is not ending.

bluemonkeyguy

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010
27 inch Display Imac EDID

One thing I'm mad about (kinda related) is that Apple is not updating the display for the 27in imac to accept 1080p video. this sucks because the only formats the EDID accepts is 720p and the native 1440p. i mean come on, it should be able to accept 1080p. i have already sent some concern requests for them to update it but I'm still hoping for the best.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.