Apple releases three new patents

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jan 18, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

[​IMG]

Category: News and Press Releases
    Link: Apple releases three new patents
    Description:: Apple has filed three new patents: for a method and apparatus for preventing loops in a full-duplex bus, for the generation and use of masks in MPEG video encoding to indicate non-zeroentries in transformed macroblocks and a keyboard with a lighting system.

Posted on MacBytes.com
    Approved by arn

2. macrumors 601

Diatribe

Oooh, backlit desktop keyboards... nice. :)

3. macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Or, better backlit keyboards for the new powerbooks!

4. macrumors 601

Diatribe

What are you referring to? I quite like the backlit keyboards... what's there to improve? :confused:

5. macrumors G3

bigandy

well it's an idea to patent it if they haven't already.... :rolleyes:

6. macrumors 68000

I'm guessing that this is a method to test for a full loop, and if there is a full loop, then for a device to make a connection to it. It's a wonder that they can patent that sort of thing; it's a greater wonder as to what this is actually referring to (unless I'm totally missing the boat).

This sounds like a codec improvement, but as far as I'm aware Apple doesn't make the codecs themselves; instead, they follow what the MPEG Group is working on. This might be a contribution to a next-generation codec, unless this is already in a codec such as h.264.

Gotta love patents!
    -Chasen

7. macrumors G3

iMeowbot

When these "news" items on patents come out, it's usually best to ignore the reporting and look up the files directly. The keyboard patent is for the PowerBook keyboards Apple have been using for years and has been in the patent system since at least 2002. The bus loop patent is of a similar vintage, and describes part of the FireWire protocol, specifically some FW800 safeguarding.
    Apple do work directly on them, in fact the MPEG 4 format itself came from QuickTime. The zig-zag stuff is part of H.264.

8. macrumors 68000

Doh on my part. I should've recognized "IEEE 1394" immediately! :eek:

I wasn't exactly clear about Apple's involvement in codec production either—I meant to say that they don't (usually) create their own codecs, but contribute to what's going on in the MPEG Consortium (that is what they do, right?).
    -Chasen

9. macrumors G3

iMeowbot

They do both :) Pixlet is all theirs, for example, and the patent mentioned in the article above describes CAVLC which is the main compression scheme used in H.264. Apple do a huge amount of codec work, but their contributions kind of get made invisible by the committee process.

10. macrumors G5

nagromme

This would look SO cool in aluminum!
    [​IMG]