Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haddy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2012
NZ
That's the most ridiculous thing I've read all day. Millions want TB? Or you mean millions want no ports on their notebook so they have tote around a boat load of hubs??? Either way, it's absurd. Show me ten people on here that even use TB and then show me how they didn't spend 50% more than they should have for the same performance (i.e. total waste of money; might as well flush it down the toilet while you're at it). And if USB 3 is a kludge and TB is so great, WTF is this firmware update for with TB for then??? :eek:).

Oh well I have a late 2012 iMac and have 1TB Buffalo external HD plus 1TB firewire/adaptor/Thunderbolt external HD attached to my two Thunderbolt ports. They work very well and transfer times subjectively way faster than the USB ports. Also have upgraded the firmware...no problems. So I guess I'm one of the ten really enjoying the Thunderbolt ports.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I really get the sense that Thunderbolt is another Firewire. Very seldom used, high cost due to the circuitry needed.

Just curious but those of you who have Thunderbolt on your MBP's would you rather those would have been extra USB 3.0 ports instead?

EDIT:// Ok you can stop replying now :p - I get it, you guys love Thunderbolt.

Yes...and I have a Thunderbolt drive. I'd exchange one of the TB ports on my rMBP for another USB port or two. 2 USB ports on a pro laptop is not enough. My work laptop is some HP pro line laptop and it has 5 USB 3.0 ports. It's nice being able to leave my cordless mouse receiver plugged in all the time and not waste a valuable USB port.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Oh well I have a late 2012 iMac and have 1TB Buffalo external HD plus 1TB firewire/adaptor/Thunderbolt external HD attached to my two Thunderbolt ports. They work very well and transfer times subjectively way faster than the USB ports. Also have upgraded the firmware...no problems. So I guess I'm one of the ten really enjoying the Thunderbolt ports.

Make that 11 people. I love my Thunderbolt ports, and have been booting OS X off a Thunderbolt SSD for about 6 months now on my 2012 iMac. :D

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
To be honest, I'm a bit nervous to update my mid 2011 Mac Mini since I use Thunderbolt/Mini Display Port to drive my 40" Samsung HDTV instead of the problematic HDMI. Since I switched over 9 months ago from HDMI to Thunderbolt, I haven't had any issues whatsoever. Is it possible I might be opening up a can of worms if I do the update?

mag01

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2011
UPDATE: Went today to Genius Bar, outcome, they are going to replace my Retina 15" logic board (~= U$ 500.00), of course, I am fine, since is still under warranty. But the "patch" just %$&^& my MAC Thunderbolt ports.
Did you have any Thunderbolt device connected when performing the update or not?

billycsu

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2013
I'm trying to install it, my computer restarts then start the firmware update and before it finish it powers on again and i still see update in my App Store :<

anyone else experience this ?

I have exactly the same problem.

I have tried to install a fresh copy of Mountain Lion 10.8.3 and try to install this update, however, there is no luck for me.

Could someone provide any clue?

repoman27

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2011
That's the most ridiculous thing I've read all day. Millions want TB? Or you mean millions want no ports on their notebook so they have tote around a boat load of hubs??? Either way, it's absurd. Show me ten people on here that even use TB and then show me how they didn't spend 50% more than they should have for the same performance (i.e. total waste of money; might as well flush it down the toilet while you're at it). And if USB 3 is a kludge and TB is so great, WTF is this firmware update for with TB for then??? :eek:

As for sacrificing functionality to make it extra slim, that's what the Macbook Air was supposed to be for. Apple would do far better to stop making overpriced TOYS and start making actual "Pro" computers once more. In other words, the rMBP is an overpriced yet underpowered turd. It has hardly any ports, so you need all kinds of extra adapters and hubs to make any use of it at all. Plus its GPU is seriously underpowered for the monitor's resolution. This is why it's never a good idea to buy the 1st generation product of something new from Apple. They seem to purposely make the first one crappier than it should be so they can sell you another one the following year (or 6 months the way the iPad is going).

The only portable Macs to ever be graced with more than 2 USB ports were the 17-inch MacBook Pros, which had 3. For whatever reason, Apple decided long ago that 2 is enough, and I'm not even going to begin to analyze their reasoning behind that.

I find it odd that you say the current MBPs are somehow not "Pro". They are incredibly capable, well built, and well specced. People who use their PCs to make money, i.e. professionals, and those in the enterprise space use a pretty simple formula for purchasing decisions. If the cost of a given tool is more than offset by potential productivity gains, the capital expenditure can be justified. The total number of ports on a PC and how good the GPU is for gaming is rarely a factor; it's all about how much it facilitates a given work flow.

Just going off of your sig, it would appear that you require a fair amount of storage yet place the highest priority on price/GB. You list all rotational media and not a single SSD. If you were a pro who billed out hourly for work done on your Mac, you'd probably already have a few SSDs in the mix. Many pros who need terabytes of direct attach storage also value random access performance as well as straight line speed. The performance difference of a solution like the Pegasus R6 versus using several USB 3.0 drives is often enough for the unit to pay for itself in less than a month. You're crying about Apple not making Macs for Pros anymore, yet all your arguments are based on consumer / SOHO / small business logic, not that of the professional / enterprise market.

I realize that the best bang for the buck right now is buying a 3TB external in a USB 3.0 enclosure because they run about $120. However, if you need a bunch of them, you end up with a (usually crappy) power adapter and USB cable for each one, you start to run out of USB ports and room on the power strip, then you need a hub... Have you looked at just getting a 5 bay USB 3.0 enclosure and throwing all your drives in there? The ORICO 3559SUSJ3 is going for $180 on Newegg right now. That's $36/bay which is not a lot, and then you can buy drives with more than the 1-year warranty that is typical on the bargain basement externals and just pop them in there. You could even throw in an SSD and configure it as a Fusion Drive.

tmoerel

Suspended
Jan 24, 2008
Did you have any Thunderbolt device connected when performing the update or not?

I had a Thunderbolt SSD, a Thunderbolt WD diskstation and a Thunderbolt ethernet connection all connected to my 2011 iMac and the update went throufh without any problems

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
That's the most ridiculous thing I've read all day. Millions want TB? Or you mean millions want no ports on their notebook so they have tote around a boat load of hubs??? Either way, it's absurd. Show me ten people on here that even use TB and then show me how they didn't spend 50% more than they should have for the same performance (i.e. total waste of money; might as well flush it down the toilet while you're at it). And if USB 3 is a kludge and TB is so great, WTF is this firmware update for with TB for then??? :eek:
I've seen an enormous amount of notebook users dropping off their notebook. The highest amount of external devices hooked up to the notebook I've seen is 1 and that's only for the people who use either a usb mouse or one with its own wireless transceiver.

I've seen people occasionally hook up a thumbdrive or external drive but that's about it really and it was on their own desk. There are not that many people who need to have a large array of ports on their notebook for the simple fact that they are not stupid enough to carry everything that is on their desk with them (they are already complaining about the notebook plus power adapter being so enormously heavy). What I also see is people using dockingstations. Everything they need will be hooked up to the dockingstation. Macs haven't had something like that for a long time. They have now via Thunderbolt.

So yeah, the person you are replying is actually correct in a way: if you hook up lots of devices you are more likely to do that on your desk. Most people will use a usb hub or a dockingstation for that because plugging in a gazillion connectors is annoying as hell. You want to plug in no more than 2 (power and Thunderbolt), more than that is simply annoying, too much hassle.

It has hardly any ports, so you need all kinds of extra adapters and hubs to make any use of it at all.
No you don't because it entirely depends on what you need on the road and what you need at your desk. This is like complaining you only get 1 power adapter instead of 50 for the 50 places you go to. Be realistic for a change. People hate to hookup 5 or 6 different connectors. They want to hookup only 1 or put the laptop onto something which then connects all the peripherals to the machine. Why? Because people are lazy.

All of this could be done via USB3 but Thunderbolt is just a much nicer technology for this since it is DisplayPort plus PCIe. There are no timing issues, there is no problem with bandwidth and the devices when the cpu is very busy, etc. Only downside: it's more expensive at the moment. Since TB is a smarter technology it has firmware updates. USB doesn't, if something is b0rked with USB than Intel creates a new revision of their chipset. If you want to get a hold of it than you need to sell your current machine and buy a new one. That makes TB an awful lot cheaper.

Daniel L

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009
Tons of Problems

My rMBP 15" had tons of problems after this update. Any time I would launch an app that would activate the discrete GPU the app would lock up (Photoshop, iPhoto, VLC). Took me a little while to figure it out but a SMC reset brought everything back in line.

To do it:

Shut down the computer.
Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
Press the power button to turn on the computer.
Note: The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
Huh, never had an issue doing this. If it continues, I would swap the TB/EN adapter just to see if it makes a difference. Been using mine since last August without a single issue.

:)

-P

I have this issue as well. And I'm pretty sure it is something Apple is aware of as one of the past thunderbolt updates made my computer atleast predictable in when it would freeze. I have to have the lid closed when I plug in the TB > ethernet adapter or my computer freezes, and it is a hard freeze. If I close the laptop again I get a kernel panic.

I really love my MBA but it is sooo buggy. Hoping a clean install (when I get around to it) will fix things...

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
The update fried one of the two Firewire 800 ports on my OWC Mercury Elite hard drive. Apparently this can happen to some chipsets when a firmware update is run and the drive is connected. The other port works fine. But the drive has to go back to OWC to have a new board installed.

Apple should tell users to disconnect all peripherals but power before doing any firmware updates. Even MS does that. I'm really upset.

Apple has always suggested that you do any updates with all external equipment before installing. Didn't this update say something about that? I didn't look at it on my part, for I don't have any thing installed on the computer to worry about. :/

Hugh

1member1

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2012
I have exactly the same problem.

I have tried to install a fresh copy of Mountain Lion 10.8.3 and try to install this update, however, there is no luck for me.

Could someone provide any clue?

not sure if someone helped you or not but i connected the battery and everything was working again.
sorry you had to install 10.8.3 all over again. this is not needed. we are not using windows :Z

pshifrin

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
After installing this update my USB keyboard no longer works. Any ideas?

Here too! Two brand new 21.5 imacs both with apple wired keyboards. Both don't work anymore! I plugged them into an rmbp 13 and it doesn't work either. If I plug them into a PC it works. If i plug them into a 2009 imac it doesn't work either!

MJ-uni

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2013
Hello everyone,

the Thunderbolt Firmware 1.2 for my macbook pro (mid 2011) gives me problems:

After clicking "install" in the App store my macbook rebooted, but I didn't put in the power adapter.

Now the update starts when the macbook starts booting, but the progress bar stops at a certain point and the macbook switches itself off. Just like that.

After googleing I put the power cord on, but I still have the same issue. I also held down the Shift-Control-Option keys and the power buttons, but it is still not working.

When the macbook boots only the cd slot sounds is going of, but not the "special" start up sound itself.

Any experiences or hints?

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007

WTF does "transfer times subjectively way faster" mean? Grammatical issues aside, the word subjective in there connotates the speed differences are all in your head. Most single drives (even SSD) don't saturate USB 3.0 so they would almost have to be subjective differences rather than actual ones. I have seen some high-end setups using multiple drives in a RAID-like configuration that would do well with Thunderbolt, but they're the extremely rare exception, not a typical consumer drive.

Frankly, I've read some reports of the USB 3.0 version of certain Lacie drives running FASTER than the Thunderbolt versions. One would think it would be the other way around since you could saturate the USB bus with multiple items attached, but since it's a new technology, it's probably got some bugs (hence the recent firmware update to TB)

I find it odd that you say the current MBPs are somehow not "Pro". They are incredibly capable, well built, and well specced.

Well specced doesn't mean "Pro". Historically, the "Professional" Macs were typically most commonly used for video and/or audio production (i.e. Final Cut and Logic being the two biggest sellers). Both typically used Firewire interfaces (dropped entirely on the rMBP unless you want to carry around an adapter). Most newer camcorders, etc. are digital today so the Firewire may not be needed as much, but most "Pro" audio interfaces are still largely Firewire based (i.e. I haven't seen a USB 3.0 one yet and there are few TB ones available, one of which is mostly a TB-to-FW800 conversion). Many professionals made use of the Express Card expansion port (dumped in favor of a stupid one-size-only card reader) for anything from adding eSata ports to USB3.0 cards (I have one of those myself) to a second FW bus. Losing that port has been a disappointment for some time. True matte screens were replaced with glass screens (eventually offering a matte overlay, but true matte is gone). Ethernet is gone (again an adapter is needed). Forget about a quick burn of a DVD or BD disc for video or a CD for audio. No drive is included any longer (yet another external device to carry around in your bag).

But it would appear your definition of a "Pro" is anyone who makes money in any form on their computer, including people hawking junk on eBay, which could be done from an iPhone now even. That's not the sort of market segment I am talking about or most enterprise uses (since short of running Windows with something like BootCamp or VMWare, Macs are rarely used in Enterprise).

We went from a "Pro" Macbook in 2008 that had a replaceable battery, true matte screen option, separate FW400 and 800 ports, a Gigabit Ethernet Port, full size DVI port, 2 USB ports, an Express Card expansion port and a dual purpose audio jack to a computer that has two USB ports, an SD card reader port, an audio jack and two Thunderbolt ports that double as the external video port(s). To even connect devices at home, you're probably going to need some kind of docking station (not cheap for the "announced" Thunderbolt ones and Apple's dock only comes attacked to a monitor and still uses ancient USB 2.x; I guess they can't be bothered to update the darn thing). All "Pro" Macbooks in 2008 had their own NVidia GPUs. Now the 13" "Pro" models only have Intel integrated (yet another step backwards).

Just going off of your sig, it would appear that you require a fair amount of storage yet place the highest priority on price/GB. You list all rotational media and not a single SSD. If you were a pro who billed out hourly for work

Who said I use my 3TB drives for professional use? I don't. They power my whole house audio/video setup based on AppleTV. They don't require SSD speed. In fact, most people on Earth don't actually need SSD speed since most of them do little more than boot their computer and surf the Net with it. It's mostly about specs...a peeing contest if you will. Frankly, unless you are a video producer or perhaps even a programmer, SSD is overkill.

I do make music on the side with Logic Pro, but frankly, a 7200 RPM drive is still more than adequate for 25+ tracks at once. Again, SSD is overkill and until recently wasn't available in sizes required for large projects, or at least not on a single internal drive at a reasonable price. Yes, it would be cool to boot faster, but then the computer is usually just set to sleep anyway so it's moot most of the time.

You're crying about Apple not making Macs for Pros anymore, yet all your arguments are based on consumer / SOHO / small business logic, not that of the professional / enterprise market.

Again, there is NO real enterprise market for the Mac and the video market has shrunk a LOT due to Apple's blundering of the Mac Pro and the garbage release that was the initial Final Cut X.

I realize that the best bang for the buck right now is buying a 3TB external in a USB 3.0 enclosure because they run about $120. However, if you need a bunch of them, you end up with a (usually crappy) power adapter and USB cable for each one, you start to run out of USB ports and room on the power strip, then you need a hub... Have you looked at just getting a 5 bay USB 3.0 enclosure and throwing all your drives in there? The

Why would I want to do that when I'm only using one at a time (the second one is a local backup and the third is an off-site backup).

I've seen an enormous amount of notebook users dropping off their notebook. The highest amount of external devices hooked up to the notebook I've seen is 1 and that's only for the people who use either a usb mouse or one with its own wireless transceiver.

Dropping them off where? An Apple Store? Why would they bring external peripherals there? I find it hard to believe most people only carry a mouse at most with them. OTOH, what's "most" people? The same people that would do just as well with just an iPad???

Here's just a short list of items I might need if I were buying a rMBP based on my current usage of my existing MBP:

1> Ethernet adapter (still needed at some hotels with bad or non-existent WiFi)

2> Firewire adapter (my audio interface is Firewire 400 so I'd need both the FW800 adapter and a FW400 adapter to connect it to the FW800 adapter port; my current MBP has both FW400 and 800 ports and so it's just a simple plug-in).

3> DVD/CD Writer drive (I do make CD-R and DVD-R burns occasionally and if I need it while I'm away from home, I'd need to bring a portable drive with me since the rMBP has no optical drive)

4> Mouse (one you already mentioned; the trackpad isn't great for everything)

5> Backup drive if i were going to be away for a long period or needed to backup an important project (e.g. a live recording I couldn't replace). I currently use a FW800 drive with the MBP, but I've moved to USB 3.0 backup on my Mac Mini since it's faster/cheaper.

With my current MBP, all of those would work with just two USB ports needed (and it has 4 ports with a USB 3.0 Express Card installed). With the rMBP, I'd potentially need three ports plus two adapters and two external drives to carry around. This is step backwards, IMO and avoidable had Apple provided enough ports.

orthorim

Suspended
Feb 27, 2008
My rMBP 15" had tons of problems after this update. Any time I would launch an app that would activate the discrete GPU the app would lock up (Photoshop, iPhoto, VLC). Took me a little while to figure it out but a SMC reset brought everything back in line.

To do it:

Shut down the computer.
Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
Press the power button to turn on the computer.
Note: The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

This update screwed up my rMBP to the point that I was about to return it to the dealer for a replacement.

The thunderbolt update seemed to go through but then I got a black screen.

Subsequent restarts, got black screen every time; note that the grey startup screen didn't even appear! Neither did the Apple logo. So my computer looked completely dead. Boot from restore partition did not work either.

The keyboard backlight turned on though, so I figured out I could get the screen to turn on by closing and opening the lid. I tried PRAM and SMC resets, nothing helped, then installed the update _again_ (as it showed up again in the update panel) and now the rMBP is back to normal.

I thought the update worked the second time around, but now it's showing _again_ in my updates. I think I'll skip this one for now, thankyouverymuch ;)

digitalfailure

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
Help please....

My 2012 iMac has done the update......my fault for not checking here first..... And now my USB keyboard won't work.

The kb works on my other older iMac and my iPhone connects and charges via the USB on the back of the mac.

There seems to be a couple of others in this thread with the same issue, but no answers

Heeeeeeeeeelp

edit............

Just had a call with Apple support who escalated the case, while on the phone i'd plugged my keyboard into another "older" imac and it was working, then I plugged the other kb into my machine and that worked.

And then reconnected my keyboard to my machine and that worked too!!!

So, i'm not at all sure what the cause or cure was and have agreed with the guy at applecare to monitor it and have sent the contents of the console log to him.

Last edited:

Vonner

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2012
@DigitalFailure mine is still not working and I don't have the option to try what worked for you. I guess I'll have to call apple tonight.

Thanks for sharing your solution.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
My 2012 iMac has done the update......my fault for not checking here first..... And now my USB keyboard won't work.

That's strange. What brand of keyboard is it? I'm using a Logitech USB keyboard here and it's working fine after the update. Given how yours worked after unplugging and plugging it in again, it sounds more like some kind of glitch. Did you have it plugged in directly or through a hub? My keyboard and mouse are plugged in via a Belkin USB 2.x hub along with a bunch of other legacy devices. Only my USB 3.x stuff is plugged directly into the Mac Mini (i.e. a Memorex Blu-Ray Writer and Western Digital USB 3.0 media hard drive along with another USB 3.0 hard drive for backups for the RAID0 main internal drives and another external Western Digital when I back up the media drive).

digitalfailure

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
That's strange. What brand of keyboard is it? I'm using a Logitech USB keyboard here and it's working fine after the update. Given how yours worked after unplugging and plugging it in again, it sounds more like some kind of glitch. Did you have it plugged in directly or through a hub? My keyboard and mouse are plugged in via a Belkin USB 2.x hub along with a bunch of other legacy devices. Only my USB 3.x stuff is plugged directly into the Mac Mini (i.e. a Memorex Blu-Ray Writer and Western Digital USB 3.0 media hard drive along with another USB 3.0 hard drive for backups for the RAID0 main internal drives and another external Western Digital when I back up the media drive).

My kb is a genuine apple extended wired item that was supplied with the bto iMac, it only started to work again after another apple kb was plugged in and used though. Prior to that the kb had been up plugged and refitted and the machine restarted several times. Even during the call to support where they had me try a Pram reset it was dead. Nothing else was plugged into the kb or the iMac. I use a tb to fw adaptor on my external back up array and that too was unplugged.

All very strange but it is working now and any future updates and wait.......and wait.......and waaaaaaait :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.