Apple Releases Xcode 4.3, Now Offered as App Instead of Installer

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 16, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Apple today released Xcode 4.3 [Mac App Store], making a number of improvements to the software. Among the notable changes, Xcode is now offered directly as an app. It had previously been offered as an installer package, and the move simplifies the installation and update process.
    Xcode is a free download, but users must be registered members of Apple's iOS or Mac Developer Program in order to submit apps created with Xcode to the respective App Stores.

Article Link: Apple Releases Xcode 4.3, Now Offered as App Instead of Installer

2. macrumors regular

Curiously, it says it requires 10.7.3 or later.

Also, this doesn't show up as an update for 4.2 users. It's a separate (though still free) download.

3. macrumors 6502

Does anyone know if they updated the Xcode of Snow Leopard install on the App Store? i.e. does 4.3 work with Snow Leopard?

4. macrumors 6502

Graig

This is great, now if only they would tell us how to update from the installer version to this new one......

5. macrumors 6502a

goinskiing

Finally! Too bad it's not smart enough to override the current install, but it's worth one more download to have smaller downloads in the future.

6. macrumors 68040

Ah hang on a second, then how do we get command line stuff XCode installer used to install?

7. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

From the article:

8. macrumors 68040

Ah thanks.

9. macrumors 68030

Amazing Iceman

I really preferred the Installer version instead, so I could reinstall very quickly if needed. Oh well...!

----------

Don't these command-line tools open the door to be able to develop apps on your iPad and remotely compile on your Mac? :D

10. macrumors newbie

Does anyone who has downloaded this have tips on installing over the top of the previous release? Or tips on the best process to take to delete the previous release before downloading and running 4.3?

Or is it just as simple as dragging the previous Developer folder into the trash?

11. macrumors newbie

12. macrumors regular

I can't seem to be able to run an app using the Simulator, after uninstalling 4.2 and installing this version.
    Does anyone know how I can fix this?

13. jennyp, Feb 16, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012

macrumors 6502

2 XCodes ... ?

Uh-oh ... now I have two XCodes - one (version 4.2.1) in the Developer folder and now the new one (version 4.3) in the Applications folder.

Plus I have a new "Install Xcode" app in the applications folder (version 4.2.1).

What do I do? And what about all the other stuff in the developer folder?

confused

14. macrumors 68030

mdriftmeyer

XCode 4.4 will be the big jump from Clang 3.0 -> Clang 3.1 where C++11 is fully implemented and all the Macroscalar patented hints are implemented within libc++ [a drop in replacement to libstdc++ from GNU].

http://clang.llvm.org/cxx_status.html

Tons of info over at LLVM/Clang:

http://www.llvm.org/devmtg/2011-11/

Release notes for 3.1 are not any where close to current:

http://llvm.org/docs/ReleaseNotes.html

But it's safe to say XCode 4.4 will be a big hit for the Tools and maturity of LLVM/Clang.

Clang 3.1 also ends cuts off backward compatibility of bitcodes at 3.0 and forward.

----------

Xcode 4.3 removes Xcode 4.2.x as /Developer no longer exists.

Xcode 4.3 is one unified Application with all the Tools launched within Xcode.

https://developer.apple.com/library...s/xcode_4_3.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/1006-SW1

15. macrumors 6502

Graig

One would think that the App Store would provide details on what to do this this new version to get it installed for those of us who previously installed the Installer version. Has anyone here actually accomplished this yet? If so could you explain here how it was done? Thanks

16. macrumors 6502

Do you mean it does this when I launch the new version? Because the developer folder and the old version are still there at the moment

17. Graig, Feb 16, 2012

macrumors 6502

Graig

Thank you, this looks the the answer everyone needs.

18. macrumors member

Just finished downloading Xcode and yes I know that the earlier post probably say this but once 4.3 has finished installing and you open the application it will ask if you would like to remove old Xcode tools and it will move 4.2 or whatever version you have to the trash.

Have a good day

19. macrumors 6502

Hm.. interesting if that's so.. the developer folder is 6.22GB, whereas the new XCode app is only 3.16GB. Does the new app include all the other stuff?

20. Moderator emeritus

kainjow

They're additional downloads. Read here:
    New Features in Xcode 4.3

21. macrumors 6502

Nope. No good. I tried downloading the Snow Leopard version from the App Store and it still downloads the 4.2 installer.

Does anybody know if Apple's Developer site provides 4.3 for Snow Leopard? I don't have a developer account because I've never needed one just to write simple my programs for my own use.

22. jdsipod, Feb 16, 2012

macrumors member

Developer site only has 4.2 still for Snow Leopard,

23. Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I wouldn't be surprised if Xcode 4.2 is the last SL version.

24. macrumors regular

I left Xcode 4.2 where it was and installed 4.3 from the AppStore, once I launched the AppStore version I got this screen to help with the migration...

[​IMG]

25. macrumors regular

Does Apple just dump Dashcode?

Could not find it anywhere with Xcode 4.3.
    That is not good.