Apple Reminds Users of iWork.com Discontinuation on July 31

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 2, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Following this weekend's shutdown of MobileMe in favor of iCloud, Apple today sent out an email to users of its beta iWork.com service reminding them that it too will be discontinued on July 31.
    iWork.com launched as a free beta in January 2009, with Apple intending to eventually offer the service with tools for collaboration on iWork documents for a fee. The service never exited beta, however, and with iCloud offering new options for moving documents around the company has decided to eliminate the program.

While iCloud does not replicate all of the features of iWork.com, Apple continues to expand the functionality of iCloud, with the next round of improvements coming with OS X Mountain Lion later this month and iOS 6 this fall.

Article Link: Apple Reminds Users of iWork.com Discontinuation on July 31

2. macrumors P6

Peace

So it looks like a new version of iWork apps coming by July 31st.

3. macrumors 68020

Mr. Gates

--Redmond --------- ----------------Washington---
    I wouldn't trust Apple with any online service. Not even iCloud. How long until they shut that down? If I were you people, I would migrate to Microsoft office 360 online. It's not going anywhere. And it's a superior choice. Also sky drive and many other services that are just simply superior to anything that Apple offers.

4. macrumors 6502

And in 29 days people will still be bitching about not having enough time to get their files.

5. macrumors G5

jav6454

No thank you. I'll stick to Dropbox and others. Can't go wrong with 10GB (after referrals and era program, not to mention the hunt game)

6. macrumors 6502

Does anyone else get the feeling that Apple didn't have any more space on there hard drives? I think they are trying to free up space.

7. macrumors 68020

Mr. Gates

Dropbox is good too but if its space you want, you get 25 GB with Skydrive and you don't have to do all the referrals to get it.

8. macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

It just goes to show you why Apple is not an enterprise grade company. They are a consumer grade company and yes they make great products but they do not make enterprise grade products at all.

9. macrumors regular

Another apple service to be shut down?!? Ehhhh... I never used it anyways.

10. macrumors 6502a

clukas

oh I hope this materialises.

11. macrumors 68040

You mean like they shut down Windows Marketplace and Digital Locker? Anyone who had purchased Microsoft software through that online system, with the promise that you could download and install from within Windows any time in the future, had to make backup copies and save all the product keys because they shut it down.

12. macrumors regular

^Lol^

13. macrumors 68040

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I wish.

14. macrumors P6

Peace

Well this is going to look pretty weird and silly come July 31st. Unless Numbers is updated.

Attached Files:

15. macrumors G5

jav6454

Skydrive is dead. It was joined with Windows Live Mesh. So now both services are one and only offer 5GB. So much for Skydrive.

16. macrumors 68020

Mr. Gates

That's totally different. You're comparing an online store to online services like storage and office collaboration.

17. macrumors 6502a

Was there any mention of document collaboration or sharing in ML at WWDC? If there isn't any then they are removing functionality when they kill iWork.com.

18. macrumors regular

Nungster

It is not really a shutdown but more of a consolidation and evolution of cloud solutions.

19. macrumors 68040

Well that was a waste of money!

I really hope that Apple get a handle on their 'online services' with iCloud. So far every single online service they have launched has bummed within a couple of years and died. Mostly due to reliability issues and Apple's "Lets limit the crap out of this" attitude.

iCloud will hit the same fate in a couple of years if they dont sort out a few key things. At the moment its nothing more than a glorified syncing system with the old Mobile Me email webapp slapped on the side. In essence its still MobileMe, with 2 changes (the removal of the photo/disk storage and the addition of syncing).

20. macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

What's this say of Apple's other betas?

Will Siri simply be shut down 3.5 years after it launches... so ~March 2015?

21. macrumors 68020

What? iCloud only works if you're moving forward? :eek: What happens to my documents if I sit down?

Or perhaps they mean "from now on", or some other phrase that's not both an abstracted metaphor and a hanging participle?

(Sorry, Grammar OCD.)

22. macrumors 68030

WardC

Apple is discontinuing development of the iWork suite, dropping support for iWork, and thus rendering the programs useless as of July 31st!? I can't believe this! I use iWork all the time and thought Apple had something good going with these programs. Guess they want to switch everyone to Microsoft Office.

So long iWork, it was good while it lasted.

Anyways I liked ClarisWorks a lot more ;-)

23. macrumors member

24. macrumors member

No.

Just corrallin' everyone into the same pen.

25. macrumors 68020

Mr. Gates

That's not true.

Not Dead.

Google Skydrive