Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techpr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2008
San Juan, PR
Does anyone else get the feeling that Apple didn't have any more space on there hard drives? I think they are trying to free up space.

No enough Disk space here?

Attachments

• Apple Datacenter 12.04.07.jpeg
    Apple Datacenter 12.04.07.jpeg
    86.7 KB · Views: 116

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Apple's pattern of discontinuing support makes them less trustworthy. I have real work to do. I can't be dependent on them because I can't trust that they'll continue support in the future for software necessary to access my data. Bad Apples.

steveh

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2002
The story was about "iWork discontinuation" -- of course!?!

iWork.com, not iWork.

Clean your spectacles.

----------

Anyone got a solution to the disappearance of Gallery? I need a programme where I can upload highres images with captions so that clients can view and download them from one page. Flickr is, well, just OK. Is there anything classier out there?

Zenfolio might work for you.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
After exhausting my patience with various issues using MobileMe over a two year period, I hoped that Apple had learned, and that iCloud would be an improvement...but I was not counting on it.

Lucky me, I'm so glad I anticipated this failure, and moved what I want out of MobileMe and into Dropbox, Evernote, and Google.

Seems Apple is either going backwards, or simply have such a skewed view of what can be done, they've run off the rails when it comes to the cloud.

Yet that said, millions will love it because it's got the fruity logo. It's perfect for them... :eek:

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
It is not really a shutdown but more of a consolidation and evolution of cloud solutions.

I think that nails it. Apple wants to do what others aren't. The main features of MobileMe were iDisk and iWeb. Really, the only people that really benefited were small businesses... Photographers, etc that just needed a small place to stake out. "People" are using Facebook, Flickr , Dropbox, gmail, etc... MobileMe was really a solution looking for a problem... Something to do in between .mac and what's next. Mobile Internet wasn't capable of doing what iCloud will do in the next few years.

In 2009, iWork.com was kind of a hedge that they could let Windows users into the Mac fold...Maybe leverage some iPhone users? Then iPad hit and nobody really cares about using iWork apps that doesn't already have multiple Apple devices (that have native apps).

Even with iCloud, the walled garden is thin. You sync calendar with yahoo or gmail, files with Dropbox, and passwords with 1password... All of one things are better simply because they are NOT walled gardens. Apple needs to embrace third party services and let them have native hooks.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Apple's pattern of discontinuing support makes them less trustworthy. I have real work to do. I can't be dependent on them because I can't trust that they'll continue support in the future for software necessary to access my data. Bad Apples.

The only cloud you can trust is the one you set up yourself, the big letdown: no fancy special apps, no awesome and widely used APIs etc...

tbh, this is one of the things I wish government stepped in.
Like creating a service, federal based and non-profit, to provide a cloud (not for sensitive stuff if you will) that you can use for a small fee, but with the guarantee to use for as long as you live + 10 years.

Won't happen :(

Back to setting up your server and being annoyed about why you can't get fancy 3rd party support.

I literally thought about setting up my own cloud and offer some space to friends who know I'll leave it up online and not "do the math" on their precious data and tell them I'd rather cut them off.
The only thing is that it's an intense commitment and responsibility you can never shake off.

Glassed Silver:mac

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
The only cloud you can trust is the one you set up yourself, the big letdown: no fancy special apps, no awesome and widely used APIs etc...

tbh, this is one of the things I wish government stepped in.
Like creating a service, federal based and non-profit, to provide a cloud (not for sensitive stuff if you will) that you can use for a small fee, but with the guarantee to use for as long as you live + 10 years.

Won't happen :(

I think most people would rather trust Google and Apple and Amazon (Dropbox/SugarSync/pretty much everything else) with their data than the U.S. Government. I know I'm one, lol.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
I think most people would rather trust Google and Apple and Amazon (Dropbox/SugarSync/pretty much everything else) with their data than the U.S. Government. I know I'm one, lol.

I meant files that go public either way.
Stuff you want to show.
Like a photobucket/imageshack/Youtube/etc replacement.
Just with the guarantee that it's hosted there for as long as YOU want.
So the link/embedding is trustable for future times.
This is especially important for those sending non-sensitive data via email, that just doesn't fit one email - yes, you could use Dropbox, but when those links don't work anymore and you need some old email's referenced files, you're SOL. (especially when your people are dumb as bread to not have a sufficient naming convention... I "love" getting "Archive.zip"s all the time :rolleyes:)

Glassed Silver:mac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.