Apple Remote Desktop 2.0

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jun 21, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

Jul 5, 2003
  2. macrumors 604

Sep 8, 2002
    The Netherlands
    Looks gr8!

Especially the "scheduling" options for software distribution.

BTW... another announcement rom Apple before the WWDC?
    We've had the new G5, now ARD 2.....
  3. macrumors 6502a

Mar 5, 2002
    The Netherlands
    Already placed my order for it. The new GUI looks very nice :)
  4. macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Yup, I'm really surprized they didn't relece this at WWDC.

Updates are always good though.
  5. macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
    Old York
    you guys are quick i looked at page 1 submited that it had been relesed and by the time i went back to page 1 it had been updated and there were two comments
  6. Administrator emeritus

Jun 28, 2002
    North Central Colorado
    early bird gets the worm ;)

This software upgrade for remote desktop looks very sweet, and seems to be quite a substantial step up from the previous version. The basic functionality seems to be the same, with the addition of all sorts of new toys and gizmos for network admins that will be sure to make them quite happy.
  7. macrumors regular

Nov 18, 2003
    Can someone tell me why Windoze has this for free and we have to pay $500? ($300 edu discount).

Is there a big difference in what either can do? I just never understood why Apple makes us pay big for it.
  8. macrumors 68000

Sep 22, 2002
    New York
    Well, not really available now, it's available in July.

And there seems to be no upgrades? :confused: :confused: :confused:
  9. macrumors 6502a

Apr 10, 2004
    I'd say that that is a very good point...although some people around here will dig and dig until they can find a smart aleck answer to prove you wrong.
  10. macrumors 6502

Aug 2, 2002
    With all these releases before WWDC it makes you wonder what could possibly be left to show off (apart from Tiger).

As to above poster - why don't you read all the info about Remote Desktop? It's not the same as the windows tool (If you just want that just download OSXVnc). It provides an administrator a complete network monitoring and assistance tool.
  11. macrumors regular

Jun 3, 2003
    I don't understand this either. XP Pro comes with all Dell's corporate desktops. I'm using it to get some windows-y goodness from my mac, entirely free.

This seems like one of the few areas that XP has an edge in.
  12. macrumors 6502a

May 21, 2003
    VNC really good

This gets a positive from me just for VNC support. This may be another showcase Apple/Open Source synergy, ala Safari. We'll have to see if they give back a bunch of great code to the VNC projects. If they gave back any remote file transfer/script execution code there would be VNC users worshiping at the Alter Apple.
  13. macrumors regular

Jul 4, 2002
    VNC is free for the mac also
  14. macrumors 68040

Oct 28, 2001
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Wait, is this update a require-to-pay update? Can it be updated for free in Software Update? I can't seem to get it to update via. Software Update.
  15. macrumors regular

Jun 5, 2004
    Tallahassee, FL
    i think it is well worth the money. look at Microsoft Office versus do they do the same thing? yes. but Microsoft Office is infinitely easier to use, more compatible, and "just works", atleast most of the time.

If i were a teacher, for example, and i had a lab full of eMacs. And i wanted to remote manage them from the head of the class, i would gladly pay the (relatively) measly price of $299 (educational, unlimited) to have a well-working solution. XP Pro's remote features are neither good-looking, reliable, or well-working, much less standards compatible, and wouldnt work with mac. and if my computer lab had windows and/or linux machines, i would gladly pay for the upgrade even, so that they could be managed as well.

i think it is well worth the price, and upgrading would be well worth the price if you use it in an environment that would benefit from VNC and new software management. it "just works". find another similar software solution where to enable a client for remote desktop, takes just a number of clicks on system preferences, where setting up a new client is as easy as finding it on rendezvous, where you have such a common user interface and ease of use... find one, that's cheaper, and i'll eat my hat.

oh yeah, and if you are upset because $500 is too much to pay for managing 11 or more machines around your house, use VNC. there's nothing stopping you. but Apple isn't catering to your needs. they're catering to the needs of their enterprise and education customers, who need macho remote management. hence the reason why this software isnt sold as a consumer software package.
  16. macrumors 6502

Jun 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Perhaps because schools are placing their orders *now* for new computers for the fall, and they want them to be as enticing as possible.
  17. macrumors 601

Feb 4, 2004
    Florida Resident
    I recently purchased a copy about 3 weeks ago. Bummed out there isn't an upgrade price. So basically if I want it, it will cost me $600 dollars if I include what I just paid for the older version.

I might just wait until Remote Desktop 3 comes out. I have used it to connect to a Mac over the internet and take it out of Sleep mode. It's a great product.
  18. macrumors newbie

Jun 21, 2004
    This update should bring Mac OS X up to par with Windows XP Pro when it comes to free remote screen-sharing. Any (free) VNC client should now work for sharing a Mac screen, just like the free microsoft client allows sharing an XP Pro screen. The $500 is for the other administration tools (remote reporting, installation, scheduled events, configuration, and apple's VNC client that allows up to 50 simultaneous connections).

Note that an update to the ARD client will be required to add VNC support, so this will only work for Macs that have the client update installed.
  19. macrumors 6502a

Mar 28, 2003
    Do all the clients need to be XP Pro or just the server?

The reason I ask is that XP Pro isn't cheap. And if you're doing admin on 50 machines, I'd rather pay an extra $10 per machine for ARD2 than pay the extra money for XP Pro on each computer.
  20. macrumors 6502a

Mar 28, 2003
    Why not call and complain? Within 30 days is a reasonable time to be given a free upgrade.
  21. macrumors 6502

Jun 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Right VNC is free for both Mac and Windows (as well as Linux and a number of other OS's) but I think the previous poster was referring to Microsoft Terminal services, that come standard with Windows XP profession. Running a terminal server is quite a bit more full featured than VNC, and much easier to set up in a secure fashion. There is a free OS X client from Microsoft, but (obviously) no sever software. I wonder whether Remote desktop 2.0 supports it?
  22. macrumors newbie

Jun 21, 2004
    XP Home does not allow remote desktop connections to be made. User-initiated remote sessions still work, but you can't just connect to an XP Home box from another machine. This is one the big features that was removed from XP Pro to create XP "Home" (the other being support for active directories and domains).
  23. macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    well last time i checked with the windoes copy, you can only connect to one machine at a time, cant text to them, cant do scheduled software updates, cant lock the screen, cant have 50 people at once, the list goes on. microsoft's is just good for connecting to one person and taking over their screen, not really convienent for an administrator controlling a whole bunch of macs. but like i said, i dont use microsofts remote desktop much, so if my statements are wrong please correct me.

24. macrumors 68000

Aug 11, 2003
    Of course, Windows XP Pro retails for $170 more than Panther does and you must have it installed on each client in order to connect using Windows remote desktop.
  25. macrumors regular

Jun 22, 2002
    Ottawa, ON, Canada
    As was pointed out, this isn't just a VNC app - you can get that sort of thing easily for free. ARD 2 is an administration tool that lets you see details about other computers on the network and perform functions that simply aren't options in a VNC-style program like XP Pro's Remote Desktop Connection. You can wake a Mac from sleep, for example, or check on its free hard drive and RAM resources.

If you're an IT manager on a predominantly Mac-oriented network, this is exactly the sort of thing you want.