Apple Remote Desktop

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by AFPoster, Jan 6, 2011.

1. macrumors 65816

Is anyone noticing that this is only $79.99 when on their site it's listed for $400.00. Is the Mac App Store version the same as the 400 or just a single user license. I am just not sure since it says it can maintain all the computers on a network so I am just curious before I buy. Any info would be helpful, thanks!

2. macrumors 6502

Same version....just a price cut :)

Much like they did for Aperture

3. thread starter macrumors 65816

Awesome!!!

4. macrumors 68000

Ard

Is this the 10 user version or unlimited?

Or is there only unlimited version now?

And when and how much will the upgrade be when ARD 4 is released, most like in the Summer?

5. macrumors 6502a

No-one knows but Apple, however if it sells for $80 I would not expect any special upgrade pricing.

6. macrumors 603

What exactly does ARD do? I'm wondering if it could help me fix crap that my parents need fixed over the Internet instead of me trying to walk one of them through stuff. I mean these are people who sometimes can't comprehend how to download photos and then erase them from the card. I also get an e-mail question from my mom every time there's an update message on her Windows computer. I know I can't fix that train wreck, but my dad uses an iMac and sometimes I figure it would help. It's just hard to know on something that's $80.

7. macrumors 6502a

Used iChat to do show a friend something on her macbook the other day. Worked just fine. But it was nothing fancy. It was just a remote in on very low res screen.

8. macrumors 6502

For just one computer it's overkill, you're better off just using logmein.com

ARD is made for management of a larger number of Macs on your network, and allows things like remote installation of files (without interacting with the users desktop), getting reports on hardware or usage information, etc.

9. macrumors regular

For home use, does ARD do anything better than JollysFastVNC?

I do not mind spending the $80 if it's going to be faster and/or offer more capable in everyday use (ie. not remotely installing apps, which is not something I do everyday).

10. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've found it to be a bit faster then VNC, and it has other features that VNC cannot support like file transfer, reporting, etc.