apple remote desktop

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by xwk88, Aug 2, 2005.

1. xwk88 macrumors regular

I was playing with this app and wondered if I could use my aunt and uncle with their mac problems they are new to OSX and constantly asking if I could help with some thing now teaching something over the phone is a pain so I thought I could use this to show them how to do it instead of telling them but can I connect to a mac over the net or does it have to be on a LAN I've done at home between my I book and my dad iMac and freaked my dad out by opening apps randomly but now can you guy's help me get to my uncle's computer.

2. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

it works fine (if a tad slow) over different LANs (using mine to connect ot my work over 30 miles away). You may have to set your colors to minimal, but it should do the trick to help your aunt and uncle ok.

3. xwk88 thread starter macrumors regular

cool so can you tell me what is it I need my guess would be external IP but I'm not sure tahnks for any help.

4. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Yep, external IP does the trick and the machine must be properly configured under the sharing system preferences.

5. xwk88 thread starter macrumors regular

do you know a good tutorial or something like that I can use cause I'm having trouble making a connection to a windows manchine now it has a VNC server runing on it and chincken of the vnc works great but Apple Remote Desktop just keeps trying to connect, this is a windows ME manchine and it is on my LAN thanks and please tell me of any easy tutorial because the apple admin guide is very over complicated tahnks for your help