Apple Remote Desktop??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jer446, Jan 26, 2006.

1. jer446 macrumors 6502a

I have a question.. In order to take control of another computer.. do i need to have apple remote desktop installed on both computers?? I Have remote desktop enabled on the computer i want to take control of, but do i also need to have apple remote desktop program installed, or can it just be on the computer that is taking control.. (all i need is the ip and password right?)

2. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Apple Remote Desktop is a large Administrative application. It has a wide variety of tasks that it can carry out, including remote shutdown of other computers, deploying isntallation packages across other computers, taking complete control over another computer, etc.

I have it, got it when I worked for Apple at 50% off. IT's great for when you need to move backed up files around on the "server" machine you are controlling. I'd get ARD. It's been great.

edit; I didn't fully answer your question, but YES, you need ARD Admin application to achieve all of thsi.

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

ARD, which costs money, requires installation of both server and client side software, but there are other choices. There's more info about controlling one Mac from another here.

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

You need _something_ at each end

Not really, Apple Remote Desktop is just "VNC" which you can get for free from multiple sources (Google can find VNC for you.) But yes, you need some "VNC-like" software it installed at each end wetter you buy Apple's software or get it some place else.

5. wangahrah macrumors newbie

ARD is much more robust than the generic free VNC program. However, most people don't really need more than the free one. I use ChickenoftheVNC (yeah, it took me a long time to actually catch where they got the name) and that's been great. Recently through work I needed some finer control and features, and got Timbuktu, which also has worked flawlessly and seems to be faster. Benefits of some commercial software I suppose.

Nice thing about VNC is its real easy for the other person to set up. OSXvnc sets up the server on their computer and provides them all the info they need to give you for you to vnc into their system. Don't think it provides file transfer abilities though.

6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I thought Panther and Tiger included the client end of the software?

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Yes, and I didn't explain that very well.

With Jaguar, you install ARD client from the ARD CD.

With Panther you get ARD client 1.2, but you need to upgrade to version 2.n if you have a newly purchased copy of ARD on the server side; it won't work otherwise.

With Tiger, you should use Software Update to get the latest client although it might work out of the box.

Luckily, they have entire web sites set up to help people with that.