Apple Remote Desktop?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by mischief, Dec 29, 2003.

1. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Anyone else notice that when you run Software Update on a clean install of Panther it updates/installs ARD Client?

This strikes me as odd considering it's not what I would call essential. I would expect it if Apple had significantly upgraded AppleCare but to install it as a default app?? Very odd.

Any ideas why? Part of the new iDisk admin perhaps? A future multiple-locations scheme? Part of the new advanced dot-mac features for Panther??

:confused:

2. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Remote Desktop Client is simply for use with the full Apple Remote Desktop used in supervising macs on a school or business network, instead of having to install the client software like in Jaguar you already have it on Panther, it may not be essential for us but to admins on a network it saves having to install software on each machine

maybe it will be something in the future but for now thats all its really for :)

3. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

my school has a few labs of emacs running jaguar, and they all have aRD. not sure what the school uses it for though.

4. mischief thread starter macrumors 68030

mischief

I think you're missing my point....

I know what ARD does and is, I'm curious as to why Apple would make the client a default part of Panther when installing it is no big deal.

I would think that like the dormant Apache server in Jag, it would sit utterly dormant until used.

It's rare for Apple to bundle things like this unless there's something they're looking to market or add later that uses it.