Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
PA
Hello. I just received my mac mini today in the mail and I am having trouble with the Apple Remote. I pulled it out of the package and got it all setup. When I click the Menu button nothing happens. Do I have to configure it or something with OS X before I use it? I checked the battery and it is working. Please reply asap as I am frustrated. :(

Thanks, Kevin

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
Pairing your remote with your iMac

Invade your iMac's personal space by getting up close to it (about 3 or 4 inches away).
Point the remote at the Apple logo on the front of your iMac.
Press and hold the Menu and Next/Fast-forward buttons simultaneously on the remote for 5 seconds.

this is for the iMac but i would say its almost the same for mac mini

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
PA

I tried it and I am not sure if I am doing it right. I already tried this because it said so in the manual and it didn't help. Am I suppost to press and HOLD the 2 keys? I already tried it multiple times but thought I would just ask. Will the icon appear very large on the screen when it works?

Kevin

EDIT: I checked system prefs. and "UnPair" is NOT bolded. Therefore I never paired it? Please help me out.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
just hold down menu and the fast forw button for about 6- 10 secs

make sure your pointing it at the black bit next to the cd drive on the mini

i can't remember if the remote came with a plastic pull thingy for the batt?

if that does not work - you may have a duff remote or Ir senser

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
PA

Yeah, no pull-tab thing. Still no luck. I may have to take in to the Apple Store.:(

Kevin

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
schaef2493 said:
Yeah, no pull-tab thing. Still no luck. I may have to take in to the Apple Store.:(

Kevin
have you taken the batt out of the remote? not put it in wrong way or anything >;)

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
PA

Nope. I took it out and flipped it over just in case. No luck. The + on the battery is matching the Apple Remote + side.;)

Kevin

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
PA

Nope. But wouldn't it still have to be paired with the computer? Either way I am calling Apple now but I am sure they are just going to tell me to try and pair it. So do you guys think it is the mini? Does that mean I will need a replacement or can it be serviced?

Thanks, Kevin

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
schaef2493 said:
Nope. But wouldn't it still have to be paired with the computer? Either way I am calling Apple now but I am sure they are just going to tell me to try and pair it. So do you guys think it is the mini? Does that mean I will need a replacement or can it be serviced?
Thanks, Kevin
they will try pairing it first and then some reboots of the mini and maybe repairing permissions

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
PA

Well the first guy I talked to didn't seem too bright. :rolleyes: He explained to me about 5 times how to pair the remote as I told him I already tried and did it once again. Then I asked about repairing permisions and he told me that wouldn't do anything but I could try if I wanted. He also never told me to reboot. He told me to go buy a new battery and then call back if it didn't work. So I am about to run out to the drug store to get the right battery.

Thanks For Your Help, Kevin

arcsbite

Jan 14, 2006
schaef2493 said:
Well the first guy I talked to didn't seem too bright. :rolleyes: He explained to me about 5 times how to pair the remote as I told him I already tried and did it once again. Then I asked about repairing permisions and he told me that wouldn't do anything but I could try if I wanted. He also never told me to reboot. He told me to go buy a new battery and then call back if it didn't work. So I am about to run out to the drug store to get the right battery.

Thanks For Your Help, Kevin

point your apple remote directly into any video camera (web cam, DV camera) and hold down a button, you'll see if it's the remote or not

If the remote is working fine, you should be able to see the infared light in the end of the remote flashing (when veiwed through the DV cam screen/web cams computer screen)

if it's working fine, tell apple you checked it all out, then it has to be a hardware or software issue with the actual machine.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
PA

I tried it with a DV camera. I don't see any light. In a few minutes I am going to go get a new battery and then call Apple back if it doesn't work. I tried repairing permissions and it didn't help. I am beginning to think it is the remote itself or the battery. I don't want to have to wait for a new remote, does anyone know if I could get it replaced at the Apple Store??

Thanks

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
PA

Hello. I just got back from the store. I restarted my mac mini and put the new battery in. It worked.

Thanks for the help

Kevin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.