Apple Remote not functioning with Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kylos, Feb 27, 2006.

1. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

Just got my shiny new Macbook Pro today, and I have to say this thing is wonderful. Where my 1.33 ghz 12in pbook would struggle for a half minute or so when logging in to my account (not from boot up) as it opened various apps I set to auto open, the Macbook Pro literally completely logs in in 5 sec with all apps taking a single bounce to open. Both machines have 5400 rpm hdds in them.

However, an issue arises when I try to use the remote to activate Front Row. When I push a button on the remote, the mbook suddenly starts acting up. I checked Activity Monitor, and sure enough immediately after I press a button the remote the loginwindow process hangs. As I understand, loginwindow is the parent process for all user processes on my account. So when login window hangs, my mbook suffers various symptoms such as Dock menus no longer popping up, the Force Quit window not being brought up when I press option-apple-esc, the Apple menu not responding to menu items selected, System Preferences becoming unresponsive, and spotlight not functioning, etc. I can Force quit loginwindow via Terminal or Activity Monitor, but that logs me out so I have to log in again and remember not to touch the remote.

Anybody else seen anything like this?

2. kylos thread starter macrumors 6502a

kylos

Nobody responded, but an update nonetheless :) . Turns out that iTunes (which I have set to open on login) was waiting for me to accept the license agreement and wasn't responding to Front Row's attempts to open, causing Front Row, rcd.app (remote control device, I assume), and loginwindow to hang. Force Quitting rcd.app seemed to unhang loginwindow allowing the ui to become more responsive (apple menu, spotlight, the dock, etc). Once I accepted the license, there were no issues. While this is understandable, I consider this to be a bug since Front Row should handle such exceptions gracefully without causing other apps to hang.