Apple Remote not magnetic?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by LastLine, Nov 23, 2005.

1. LastLine macrumors 65816

Just got my first Apple Remote (the little one like with the new iMac's) however it doesn't appear to be magnetic, is the magnet located within the magnet or the remote itself? Would've been nice to stick it to the side of my Windows base unit:(

2. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I'm sorry, but where did you get the idea that it was magnetic in the first place? I've never heard of a magnetic remote.

3. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

The magnet is inside the imac it ships with. No magnet inside the remote though!

4. LastLine thread starter macrumors 65816

The fact it sticks to the mac ;)
    So now I get to hunt for a little magnet to stick to my base unit :D

5. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Hmm... That's pretty neat. I looked all over the Apple website and found no mention of it. Maybe I'm just blind, but now I have to go look again.

EDIT: Never mind. I found where it's mentioned, although it was pretty hidden...

6. LastLine thread starter macrumors 65816

Yep. True that.

7. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

So, have you found it?

I think it is on the lower right hand corner of the screen.

8. LastLine thread starter macrumors 65816

oh I'm actually looking for a way to stick it to a windows base unit, or my filing cabinet. I don't own an imac - I use the remote for my iPod.

9. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

First double-check that the remote is actually magnetic - try sticking a fridge magnet. If it's magnetic, you could stick a magnet to the inside of your PC case.

Just make sure it's away from disk-drives etc.... there's a warning in the iMac manual not to place disks etc to close to the bottom-right corner of the iMac - since that's where the magnet for the remote is located.

10. LastLine thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah I'm sat looking at the computer and thinking it might be on my monitor yet ;)

11. CompUser Guest

The pictures at apples website show it sticking on the side of an iMac.

12. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

lol, have you read this thread at all?

13. Will Cheyney macrumors 6502a

Will Cheyney

Haha! I had wondered how the remote attached to the iMac. I thought that perhaps the image had just been mocked up for illustration purposes!
    Cool!

14. doucy2 macrumors 65816

doucy2

wouldnt a magnet that close to the screen not be good for it??

15. liquidh2o macrumors 6502

just out of curiousity what have you been using your remote for?

I've thought about buying one to use w/ the universal ipod dock, but there's been numerous complaints that apple hasn't enabled the "menu" button on the remote to use w/ the ipod... I'd like to think they'd update them to make the button work, or else all I can do w/ the remote is go forward or backwards through tracks, or turn up/down the volume.

16. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

I don't think it has any effect. Be sides, would Apple make something that was harmful to the insides of the computer? Jeez - I need to think about that one :eek:

17. mpw Guest

I remember a comment about this somewhere on the Apple site that warns about placing magnetic media close to the lower right side of the iMac because of the magnet.

18. applekid macrumors 68020

Alright, the whole magnets not being good for optical media is... A MYTH (mostly)!

I read it in Mac Secrets (3rd Edition).

Basically, your basic refrigerator magnet will not damage optical media. I took floppies filled with my own precious data (for a 7 year old) and placed magnets of different strengths and for different periods of time. Not a single bit of data lost. Perhaps a strong magnet field like the ones that pick up cars, but not your basic magnets around the house.

But, do not every put a magnet on a CRT tube! You'll really screw up the colors and picture. You can fix it with more magnets, but it isn't worth the trouble. No ideas about LCD's, but I suspect it can't be harmful (I tried the old black and white LCD's. No damage.) Don't take my word for it though.

Same goes for that whole a-speck-of-dust-on-the-floppy-when-you-expose-the-metal-part-will-damage-the-floppy... All a myth.

19. mpw Guest

Of course floppies aren't optical media.;)

20. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Like mpw said, floppies aren't optical media, they're magnetic, and I know from first hand experience that they can be damaged by magnets. CRTs can also be affected by magnets (although not easily permanently damaged), but LCDs are not affected by magnets.

Basically the only things that can be damaged by magnets are things that use magnetism in some way. CRTs and magnetic media like hard drives, floppy disks and cassette tapes use magnetism to work, LCDs and optical media like CDs/DVDs don't.

21. applekid macrumors 68020

*smacks self in head* :p

Yes, I meant magnetic media. Ahem...

Can you seriously tell me a refrigerator magnet damaged data on a floppy or cassette tape from your own experience though? I, in all honesty, can say I have not had that problem. And call me a daredevil, but I left my friends' floppies with magnets on them in school back in elementary school to prove my point. I will say I do believe without a doubt a strong magnetic for could damage those medias, but I doubt a weak refrigerator magnet (or even the magnet inside the iMac) can damage the components inside the iMac.

22. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

the case and the metal flap on the floppy protect it from most small magnetic fields. same goes for a tape. however, you flip open the flap and put the frig magnet on the exposed portion of the tape or disk, you will screw it up. However, if you have a degaussing coil that will destroy what is on the floppy,vhs,other types of magnetic media (i've never tried an hd on it) pretty quickly. I would say that if you but an hd on the coil ever if the EM wasn't strong enough to get through the case you'd still screw up the underlying circuit board.