apple remote + powerbook?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by joeyjojoe, Apr 28, 2006.

1. joeyjojoe macrumors regular

Jun 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    So hypothetically let's say I got Front Row working on my PowerBook, and I happened to also have an Apple Remote from another computer. Is there some way to make the remote work with this computer?

I didn't see anyone else mention this question, but if it's been answered before, I apologize.
  2. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    hahahah so you want help with illegally setting up your powerbook with a program you stole?

hahahahahahaha especially with a computer that doesn't have a IR port on it.
  3. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Sep 4, 2005
    Sorry, but at the moment, there is no way the Apple remote will function with a Powerbook.

Well, there is, it involves buying an InfraRed Receiver, and software, I think it was $150 last time someone checked.. so I won't bore you with the details... its expensive, difficult, and over hyped... Just get a Griffin AirClick and download software from the site to it works with FrontRow.. it even works through walls, I think (its FM, not IR)

Oh, and before you go spending money on a Dock, since that has the IR port, you might be thinking ''Hmm connect the dock to my Powerbook and instant IR. Not so much. The IR on the dock only fuctions with the Apple remote, controlling iPod specific actions. I also have a brand new dock for sale in the Marketplace.. match your Remote nicely :D lol
  4. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

May 2, 2005
    Wheaton/Normal, IL
    I "have" Front Row on my PowerBook and the guy I "got" it from has support for a BlueTooth capable device, particularly a Sony Ericsson phone, to act as the remote. I just "use" it without a remote, but it "runs" real slow sometimes. Basically, if I "go" into the music section of Front Row, it has to open iTunes in the background on "my computer"; same with photos and iPhoto.