Apple Remote stopped working. Not the obvious!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by adese, Sep 22, 2006.

1. adese macrumors member

adese

So recently my apple remote stopped working. It is sending a signal cause I checked with a digital camera to see the light working. I do not have the "Disable IR Receiver" checked in the Security prefs.

I do have the newest software of EyeTV as well as an Elgato EyeTV 250, however that never caused an issue in the past, nor do I think it is the cause of the current problem.

Also my remote is not paired to a specific computer.

Does anyone know the sich?

-OR-

Where are the Apple Remote config files / any Apple Remote files located so I can replace them with my friend's files on her iMac.

2. adese thread starter macrumors member

adese

also, I did recently boot Ubuntu from a liveCD, however I dont think this could have caused the issue either...

3. Super Macho Man macrumors 6502a

Super Macho Man

Not a solution to your problem, but I didn't know you could see IR transmitters with a digital camera... I just tried it and COOL!!!

The newest EyeTV software does use the Apple Remote for its fullscreen interface. Try using the remote within EyeTV if you haven't, and also try uninstalling EyeTV to see if that is the problem.

4. adese thread starter macrumors member

adese

yeah it is cool huh. apple even suggests in their Apple Remote troubleshooting to use PhotoBooth to check if your remote is working!

yeah thanks, I did know about the eyetv interface, its pretty sweet! except my remote isnt working haha

I'm going to keep trying things...

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

So no-one has a solution then? Mine has stopped working too...

6. adese thread starter macrumors member

adese

the problem ended up fixing itself oddly enough.

the best I can recommend is to make sure you have all the system updates from apple and to use your isight to see if you have battery life in your remote. just open photobooth, point your remote at the isight and press a button, see if there is a light coming out.

if I think of anything else I'll reply again..

7. mattibek macrumors member

Try pressing play/pause while you hold down menu, this pairs your remote to your mac. If you had it paired when it stopped working then go to System Pref/Security and click unpair. Also sometimes the computer is slow or hangs up so give it some time.

8. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

Mine stopped working too. I called apple and they sent me a new one.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I called Apple and they can't solve it (though they were very helpful!), off to Regent Street tomorrow...

10. iBagwan macrumors newbie

Apple Remote and eyetv 250 plus

Our Apple remote was working okay until I did an apple update and the eyetv 250 plus update. The remote doesn't work with eyetv BUT if I quit eyetv the remote works fine with Front Row. When I did the update for eyetv the documentation mentioned that it fixed a problem with the Apple Remote. So, it's eyetv not the remote....

11. gigiultraplus macrumors newbie

For posterity, I noticed that my remote doesn't work with a Macbook Pro when an specific external monitor is connected and powered on. Maybe the monitor emits IR and confuses the sensor.

12. ekologik macrumors newbie

mine won't work either. i think it's boxee's fault.

i was using the app Boxee to manage my videos and movies and I was using it within Boxee and adjusted the settings, and now the apple remote won't work with Keynote or anything.

i checked, the battery is still working.

i tried pairing it again and it didn't work.

i can't get boxee to open to fix anything... stupid! :(

13. markp73 macrumors newbie

try the unlock???

so if anyone's still got this problem, try the "Menu + |<<" combination to do an unlock.....that's the menu + rewind button for 6 seconds.

you get two symbols pop-up and you're set, well, hopefully...I was :D

14. ekologik macrumors newbie

(update from quoted)

it took a bit of messing around with it but i eventually was able to revert normal functions back to the apple remote from boxee. maybe the app you're using messed up how the apple remote functions and maybe you can revert it back like i did with boxee. not sure how since i don't really understand all the remote options, it takes a bit of messing around with. good luck.

15. mesagsx macrumors newbie

Boxee did it!

I had the same problem. My boyfriend installed Boxee on my Mini and everything went to poo.

Fortunately, you can disable the Apple remote in Boxee's settings - or you can just uninstall Boxee (I'm really tempted).

Solved it for me.

16. Hekklan macrumors newbie

17. chockey macrumors newbie

this may help

Have you tried starting your mac in safe mode (re-start holding the shift key down - this can take a long time so be warned - when it has got got to blue screen you can take your finger off shift- when it has full restarted then restart again as normal - this used to be called rebuilding your desktop for the old time mac users out there) - my remote stopped working and so i tried this - my mac must have have a preference problem but the safe boot reset it and now it works perfectly again.

18. nebarik macrumors member

19. chartrapp macrumors member

disable boxee

my apple remote was not working and after reading this post I looked at boxee.

if you don't want to install additional software, the best you should do is to disable the apple remote in Boxee.

20. nineohtoo macrumors 6502

nineohtoo

Sorry to bump, but I wanted to thank you guys for this post. My white Apple remote stopped controlling my iPod HiFi and MacBook Pro, and I never noticed because I bought an aluminum remote when I got my the laptop. However I thought about using some hook and loop to attach it to my lamps switch so I wouldn't lose it. When I went to test it out it didn't do anything despite passing the photobooth test. "Menu" + "|<<" for six seconds fixed it. Thanks!