apple remote....

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by macOSX-tastic, Oct 12, 2005.

1. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

hi all,

after seeing all the announcements today, i am most intrigued by this new apple remote. can it be used to control any mac? or just the iMac? what technology does it use to transmit signals?

if i can control my powerbook i would definitely buy one.

not so sure though :confused:

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

i believe it can only be used on the iMac and the Universal iPod Dock

3. macOSX-tastic thread starter macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

that is a shame. i would like it if i had frontrow for my powerbook along with the remote.....but maybe later. now it will just have to be airclick, which BTW is a great product!

i would definitely get an imac + eyeTV combination, that would be great for the living room or any room for that matter! the ultimate setup!

4. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

According to this report by The Register, the remote is Bluetooth.

Have anyone seen anything to confirm/deny this?

"FrontRow allows users to navigate iMovie, iTunes, iPhoto and the DVD player from a distance. Apple will bundle a Bluetooth remote control with the new Macs. Apple Remote looks just like an iPod Shuffle, only with an extra button."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/10/12/apple_media_center/

A Bluetooth remote would be great, iMac is upstairs in the office. Potential to use an extended S-Video lead to the TV downstairs - operating the iMac remotely.

5. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

It would be silly for Apple to make some new wireless standard just for a remote control. I say it's bluetooth, and it only has that infared top for the iPod Docks. ;) I want one for my PowerBook, and I hope Front Row and Photobooth are available for other Macs, especially since my brother just bought an iMac a few months back.

6. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Ah, I didn't see the iPod docks (not an iPod owner). Wonder where the IR receiver is in the iMac then - assuming it's IR and uses the same remote for both iMac & iPod.

7. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Udner the iMac's specs it does not mention infared, they are bluetooth probably. When we get a manual for the iMac or remote we'll know for sure.

8. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

The remote could be bluetooth and infrared. I dont see any IR port on the front of the imac, it could be in the isight lens but if you look at the lens all you see is a camera. The remotes are probably hybrid, Dish network has remotes like that where their remotes can transmit in IR and UHF to the reciever. They probably made the remote so it had the ability for IR to use with the universal dock. I think they had the dock be IR to cut down costs.

9. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    The universal ipod dock and the imac, The imac looks like it has a pimple.

10. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

I read another thread that the IR receiver is behind the Apple logo on the iMac. Shucks :(

11. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Sneaky. :)