Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

appstore.png
Apple tonight removed some ad blockers, among other apps, from the App Store for installing root certificates that would allow developers to view encrypted traffic from their users, reports iMore. In a statement provided to the publication, Apple said it was working with developers to get the apps back into the App Store.
Apple is deeply committed to protecting customer privacy and security. We've removed a few apps from the App Store that install root certificates which enable the monitoring of customer network data that can in turn be used to compromise SSL/TLS security solutions. We are working closely with these developers to quickly get their apps back on the App Store, while ensuring customer privacy and security is not at risk.
With iOS 9, Apple allowed developers to create content blockers that would block ads on websites in Safari. Some ad blockers were removed because they could use the installed root certificates to view customer data passing through them. However, iMore notes that the ad blockers removed from the App Store are slightly different than the content blockers Apple enabled with iOS 9.

The ad blockers removed from the App Store block ads and other content inside apps by "exposing all your private Internet traffic to the blocker," according to iMore. The apps are set up in a way that allows a user's traffic to flow through the developer's servers to perform the content blocking. One of the apps that has been removed is Been Choice, who notes that they will resubmit their app tomorrow with the necessary changes.

While Apple has enabled developers to create content blockers for Safari, it currently has no systems in place to allow developers to block content within apps.

Article Link: Apple Removes Some Ad Blockers From App Store for Installing Root Certificates

Reactions: appledefenceforce

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
Apple is too nice to be true. They are actually going to work with the developers of the violating apps to try and bring the app back to the store as soon as possible?

They knew their apps violated the App Store agreements when they submitted it. No way you could be a developer and not know your app would install forbidden certs on the user phone.

Apple should suspend these devs accounts for blatant failure to comply with App Store rules.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
After Peace was removed by Marco Arment I was going to be ticked if my beloved 1Blocker was gone. Luckily it's still there. Highly recommended, especially for using CSS selectors to hide page elements and clean up cluttered design. Front-end designers rejoice! Now if only I could load my own CSS overrides…is that doable with Apple's restrictions?

Reactions: PowerBook-G5

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
Not surprised about this. VPN based ad blockers are too much of a privacy concern for me. You never know what they do with the data they collet.

tomnavratil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2013
In this digital age, privacy should be one of our biggest concerns. I'm glad Apple has this attitude towards privacy and user security rather than simply making money of the data. Good on you, Apple.

SoGood

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Does this mean content blockers actually increase data traffic on iOS?

mejsric

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
In this digital age, privacy should be one of our biggest concerns. I'm glad Apple has this attitude towards privacy and user security rather than simply making money of the data. Good on you, Apple.

Apple should block all spying by default. But also users should have an option allow spying or not.

Yep Spying.. Not Ab block..

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
Assuming for a moment that some of those removed apps are up to no good, would they also be removed from users' devices? Or would such users carry on in blissful ignorance?

SoGood

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
In the report, they talked about the present blockers needing to route the web data through their own server as the apps themselves can't execute the blocking function. Don't quite understand it and hence the question.

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
Dammit. I wish I'd known about these apps earlier. Blocking ads within apps is what I need, primarily for Facebook, which doesn't have a default 'open in Safari' option for webviews.

Reactions: BlueParadox

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
i need something to block Iads.

I only dont like bad intrusive ads that are in your face, like the admob/ Google garbage that is forced full screen with auto play videos in your face after every short game play. iAd on the other hand just sits there without annoying me and allows me to get free apps - I even click on them in support of very good games.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.