Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nad8e

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2008
Colorado
I seriously hope that they will release new iPod Classic with at least 128gb of flash storage... well at least an iPod Nano with 64gb! If they really plan to sell lossless music on the iTunes store, they need an iPod (besides the Touch) with more than 64gb of storage...
And they could to an iPod Nano with 128gb of storage on a single chip since the iPad use that design.

Get a hold of Apple and let them know you want to buy 1 million of them.

wiz329

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
There's no 2013 MacPro in the Refurbished store either. I'm pretty sure this must mean they're discontinuing it in favor of the 2012 model.

There's clearly a difference here. No 2013 MP because they've barely caught up with current demand. Not likely to be any refurbs yet.

----------

Finally. About time.

Why do you care about Apple discontinuing products?

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
I seriously hope that they will release new iPod Classic with at least 128gb of flash storage... well at least an iPod Nano with 64gb! If they really plan to sell lossless music on the iTunes store, they need an iPod (besides the Touch) with more than 64gb of storage...
And they could to an iPod Nano with 128gb of storage on a single chip since the iPad use that design.

I wouldn't hold my breath. Downloadable song/album sales are plateauing and the new growth sector in music sales/distribution is in streaming services.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I wouldn't hold my breath. Downloadable song/album sales are plateauing and the new growth sector in music sales/distribution is in streaming services.

:(

That streaming crap is useless in my area. Neither broadband connections or phone networks are anywhere near ready to handle it. For all of your music on the go, the iPod Classic is one of the few viable options. I hope Apple realizes this and still continues selling it.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
No :(. Now what am I going to replace my 80gb one with when it dies :(

Apple, please make a 64gb Nano! I would buy one! Personally I don't need a Touch with an iPhone and iPad mini.

allanfries

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2013
Canada
Other than kids, does anyone even use or care about iPods anymore. I myself have a 2nd gen nano docked on my desk that is nothing more than a show piece. All grey metal sitting in its white poly carbonate dock. :D

octothorpe8

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2014
I had three different touchwheel ipods, but I have to admit, I don't use my 5th Gen one really at all anymore except occasionally on the road.

Otherwise, it's either my 64GB iPhone when I'm walking around the city, or at home I just stream straight from my Mac to my speakers via AirPlay and control it with the Remote app on a small-capacity iPod Touch I keep around mainly as a streaming device.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
Other than kids, does anyone even use or care about iPods anymore. I myself have a 2nd gen nano docked on my desk that is nothing more than a show piece. All grey metal sitting in its white poly carbonate dock. :D

I still use my 1st gen nano during my commute every day. It’s nothing fancy, and only a gig, but I do like the click-wheel for eyes-off control, and these nanos are bulletproof! I’ve never seen a dead one (2nd gen included in that presumptuous blanket statement).

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Other than kids, does anyone even use or care about iPods anymore.

Just bought a new nano not long ago. I wish they still had the old "fatty" model, I would have bought that if it was still available. But I won't miss the classic, Apple just needs to increase the storage in all their devices.

smokestack

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2008
IMHO Apple should keep the form factor of the classic, switch to flash based storage, and take a run at the market that was recently identified by the PONO. If they put some good quality audio components in there it will enhance the classic's appeal to 'serious' music listeners.
Seems like it could work, but perhaps that is aiming for too niche a product.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
That streaming crap is useless in my area. Neither broadband connections or phone networks are anywhere near ready to handle it. For all of your music on the go, the iPod Classic is one of the few viable options. I hope Apple realizes this and still continues selling it.

I'm sure the iPod Classic will still be sold for a while to come but I wouldn't expect to see any changes/improvements to the line.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Why do you care about Apple discontinuing products?

Two possible reasons:

1 - Finally we'll stop having posts about how Apple is rumored to discontinue the iPod Classic. They've been around for several years now.

2 - They bought a large supply of iPod Classics in the hope that in 30 years they'll be able to sell them for billions of dollars because of their vintage condition and their status as collectables.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
I thought a new model was coming with flash storage, thinner and iOS 7-ish UI.

Poor iPod Classic, I think it was an awesome device.

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
I've tried to use iTunes match instead of my iPod classic, and it works relatively well when there's signal. When signal is spotty, it's maddening. iTunes match apparently has a conservative buffering scheme, so when I go in and out of coverage I get a lot of stops in playback.

I would have thought it would have buffered at least the whole current song if it could, and the next one if there was enough bandwidth. But no, the buffer only seems to be 3-4 seconds long. Arrgh.

Now I just pre download some playlists of favorites and pray I don't want to listen to anything on match.

For those of us with big libraries, the classic is still the only real solution...preferably the classic with a third-party hard drive.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I owned a total of three of them. All of which ended up in one of my daughter's hands before disapearing. I thought they were great, but once the iphone showed up, I have not needed one. Given the direction Apple is going having any device with a hard drive is out...

I have fond memories, but love what I am using now even more.

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
I am all for replacing the Classic with an iPhone/iPod Touch if Apple offers a 128/256GB version. Until then, I hope my 160GB iPod Classic doesn't give up the ghost.

In case you are wondering, my music library is around 1500 CDs (I've been collecting since 1985) which is ~600GB worth of Apple Lossless, not counting Podcasts, etc. I auto convert to 256KB AAC when synching my iPod, and 160GB isn't enough for my entire library, but 256GB may well be.

I am also screwed because I exceed the 25K song limit, I can't sign up for iTunes Match to stream my library.

PS There have been rumors of Apple starting to sell "high def" higher than CD sampling rate music, which will be even bigger than Apple Lossless. If true, they need to figure something out

WhackyNinja

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Kissimmee, FL
The iPod Classic is probably feeling like:

tumblr_m0pcuggpU31r8058ko1_500.gif

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I guess us dinosaurs that still like their classics will be able to use them for a while yet. Love having it in the car with me. Can go for weeks/months without hearing the same song.

It sure would be nice if they came out with something that had a large enough storage for those of us with large libraries of music.

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
The end or the beginning? I wouldn't be at all surprised it Apple completely rethought the concept of what an iPod can be, and released just a single product in multiple storage capacities. The iPod brand is still a very important asset to the company, if only because it represents music in itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.