Apple removes Switch ads from their site.

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jul 24, 2003.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

argh.
    i hope i have an ellen fiess ad somewhere. it was so much fun, and i hope to show it to my grandkids along with old sites about her and stuff, and then they'll look at me like i'm crazy, and i will be.:)

3. macrumors 68030

Flowbee

So is this the end of the switch campaign?

4. macrumors 6502a

Fender2112

I don't think sales are stagnant because of a bad add campaign. I'm pretty sure it has more to with folks waiting for (a) the G5 (b) a PowerBook update (c) an iMac update and (d) a new digital lifestyle device. :)

5. Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

and lower prices, faster machines, local sales outlets, more software, etc... ;)

6. macrumors 6502

And did someone say, PDA? =D

7. macrumors newbie

This proves apple doesnt really want switchers

Apple wants to be considered the elite computing experience, sort of like owning a rolex, or driving a mercedes. They dont want joe sixpack getting one of the pretty computers and putting it on his 29 dollar fold out computer table.

This is the reason Apple has never really pursued the sub 1000 desktop market which is what most computer buyers are looking at. This is also why mercedes doesnt make an econo box like honda or chevy. If Apple was to sell an imac without the monitor and maybe an 800mhz g4 they could do it for 599 easy and tons of people would buy it.

8. macrumors regular

IMO the switch campaign would have been more effective if it had kept the focus on genuine switchers (like the windows LAN man and the umbrella man).

The later ones were just Mac people saying how nice their Macs were.

9. macrumors newbie

Here, here for Mudbug's wisdom!

Price, price, price, real not phoney speed equivalency, catch up someday to Intel bus speeds and lower prices again!

I have a brand new Gateway 700XL DFM (Digital Film Maker series) workstation to do video and audio editing. Running an Intel P-4 Hyperthreading 3.06GHz processor and 3GB or PC3500 DDR, it'll still eat the fastest G5 for lunch. And it'll cost less to boot.

I still like using my Dual 1.42 G4, but productivity and technology is in the Gateway. Sorry!

And it was the stupid Switch Ads! They were quirky, dorky and didn't phase anyone except dweebs that represent 1/1000th of the computing population. As a marketing company, Apple sucks. The hardware is pretty, but that's not going to make anyone Switch when it costs twice as much as a faster PC.

I really do use both platforms, no . . . three including Linux.

10. macrumors 65816

Re: This proves apple doesnt really want switchers

No, I don't think so on either count. Margins are not THAT slim. And market inertia wouldn't change that many people over....(remember, it's corporate purchases that represent the bulk of that market share)

11. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've got Ellen's ad somewhere if you can't find it.

12. macrumors 6502a

Jerry Spoon

First of all, you've got to like a guy who's got the b*lls to name himself MacRETARD.
    Second, writing that b/c Apple puts itself out there as an elite group and relating that to your first statement that apple doesn't want switchers is ridiculous. Just like Rolex or Mercedes, they're looking for new buyers, but Mercedes doesn't expect the guy driving the Ford Festiva to buy a Mercedes as his next car any more than Apple expects the guy buying the WalMart $199.98 Microtel (actual price:D) to pick up a G5 as his next computer.

13. macrumors newbie

What about Smart? That's merc's econobox.

<http://www.smart.com/>

14. macrumors regular

Re: Here, here for Mudbug's wisdom!

Wow. Seeing this forced me to finally register...

Ok so the switch ads are a little lame... I'll give you that.

"As a marketing company Apple sucks" ? ??? ????????? I don't know where to begin to offer you a clue on this one.

"(Digital Fim Maker series"?????

1. Fast computer? probably.
    2. "eat the fastest G5 for lunch"? Well nobody knows for sure since it is not in our hands yet, but I bet not.
    3. What "Digital Filmaker" software are you going to run on that thing? Premiere? Avid Xpress (great program but limited to DV)?

Forget the G5s for a moment. Your Dual 1.42 funning FCP (or Avid DV) will be way more productive and will have a much better user experience than anything you can do on with that Gateway running XP.

I feel sorry for you that you fell for Gateways attempt at reeling in the "digital filmaker", but the DV revolution is quickly yielding to the fact that Uncompressed video is attainable on your home computer. It is no problem for a G4 (Blackmagic codecs) or a G5 (Apple's own codec or Many others).

Try working with anything more complex than DV on your Gateway and I think you will be very frustrated.

I challenge you to find one filmmaker that endorses a gateway product for anything more than checking their email.

15. macrumors member

16. macrumors regular

I guess that means they have realized that they can only somewhat compete with Linux and Windows in some professional niches and the geek sector, but not the common market.

oh well, no surprise given their pricetags, especially outside the US where they may as well demand your firstborn.

17. macrumors member

Hey, let's face it. The campaign was just boring (except for Ellen maybe). I mean it has to compete with something like the legendary "Think different"-campaign. The Switcher-campaign did not dealt with the "special" Apple-lifestyle. It just said: "Use a Mac, it's easy!". TD said "Use a Mac and you change the world or at least do something amazing".

BTW concerning Mercedes: Here in Germany even Smart is considered a premium-brand in the market for very small cars (look at the Smart Roadster and compare the prices). Although many people do that you can't really compare cars with computers. First of all the market has no monopol and there are many types of cars that can be considered the best car. (Landrover Range Rover vs. Mercedes SL, both great but totally different)

PS I always thought that Chrysler was Mercedes cheap-brand ;)

18. phc
    macrumors newbie

You'd be surprised how many "dweebs" there are in the world. By "dweeb" I mean those that don't really know any of the technical aspects of a computer besides the basics, such as an icon representing a file and the mouse being used to click on it and such. And to use an Apple, that's pretty much all you have to know and that's who they were trying to target.

I also think that hardware really isn't an issue, to an extent. It's all about the user experience and the operating system. Granted, it's also holding Apple back... for instance I contemplated purchasing a G4 Cube but didn't because for the same amount of money, I could have gotten a 1 GHz Intel system rather than a lowly 450 MHz G4. I've come to despise Windows not only for the user experience but to program for it is terrible. As for Linux I really can't say... I've dabbled with it here and there :p

19. macrumors member

I'm glad I got all the switch ads saved on my hard drive.

CheekyGit :D

20. macrumors G5

AidenShaw

21. macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

The G5 has a bus speed 200MHz faster than Intel. You catch up.

MacRETARD: 50% of last quarters sales were to non-Mac users. Why wouldn't Apple want swtichers? They're a business.

Jesus on OSX: THANKYOU!

AppleMatt

22. macrumors regular

flaming retard!

did someone say his gateway would eat a G5 alive? If that isn't flaming retardation I don't know what else could qualify. Oh, and they use Linux too, well, wow good for you there cowboy.

Now to the subject at hand: I liked the switch campaign. It became part of the social conscience, and changed the meaning of the word "switch". I'd say that was pretty effective.

And while I'm at it, I saw buy.com's Apple rip-offs, and I have to say "Wow! I never realized how good Apple's ads were!" Buy.com has made Apple look like professionals, while Buy.com's ads look like they were made by executives (not ad professionals) thinking to themselves how funny they were. Quite simply they suck big time.

But here's my biggest gripe with the Apple ads: The guys voice they use. He sounds sooooo SMUG. I kinda cringe when I hear him...

23. As Seen on TV (apple.com/switch)

PGant

Switch campaign

I dunno...I might not have ever enjoyed the celebrity of Ellen or had the charm of Janie, but I'm still proud of this funny little campaign. Just thank your lucky stars that Apple didn't get me to sing-along with my iPod (LOL).

24. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: Re: Here, here for Mudbug's wisdom!

Congrats on registering - great first post! :D

I do think, like you said, that a lot will rely on real world feedback once the new G5s get in the hands of the users. I can't wait to get mine - and look forward to doing high quality animation and not be stuck with DV.

As for the switch ads, they gave Apple a ton of publicity. Sure they were a bit corny - but we all talked about them, discussed them, created websites about them. They were a short term success - not as elegant as the Think Different campaign, but perfect for the time.

D

25. macrumors 65816

Far be it from me to tell Apple how to do their job, but if they are so focused on regaining market share, why they don't they do some actual market research and find out why people resist buying Macs?

My guess is that a lot of it boils down to some fairly easily fixed issues like a multiple-button mouse and more upgrade possibilities for iMacs.

Apple can't expect buyers to pull their heads out of the sand until they, themselves, do.