Apple Removes Top 100 Listings from App Store (For Now)

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 10, 2008.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

2. macrumors regular

It's unlikely that it's a technical error, since the top 50 works in the App Store on the phone, and they'll probably run on the same system... after all, why reinvent the wheel?

Although, its not impossible that its a technical fault

3. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I'm still seeing it.

Attached Files:

4. Moderator emeritus

EricNau

As am I.

5. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

6. Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I was seeing the listing on the main page just a few minutes after this article was posted, but I'm still not seeing anything when I click through to the full lists.

7. macrumors P6

twoodcc

oh, i was going to say that i hope this was just an error or something. but i guess it was

8. macrumors 6502a

DipDog3

Yea, looks like it went down around 5:15pm (EST) and then was briefly back right before 6:00pm then went back down until it can back for good around 6:05pm.

Sounds like a glitch to me too.

9. macrumors member

Sysbase

Error

Yeah they can't take down the most exciting page since the space race![​IMG]

10. macrumors 6502

I have a feeling that things are being somewhat restructured as we speak. I wouldn't be surprised to see more changes soon.

11. macrumors newbie

while it may have been a glitch, i wouldn't be surprised if something changes soon, esp given another article on macrumors about the "race to the bottom" on prices for iphone apps and the increasing unrest of some developers ;)

12. macrumors 68020

guzhogi

I think I remember reading on AppleInsider that there have been a lot of complaints about how 99¢ apps were taking all the top spots while all the more expensive ones (which may prove very important to some people) are not on it.

13. macrumors 65816

I like seeing the screenshots with my app in the featured list! :D

I've noticed too that the list has not changed in days so maybe they are fixing something and that's breaking it?

14. macrumors newbie

Cutting Costs

There are two possibilities for this happening:

1) Mac has decided to re-modify which their sponsor layout. (not too likely)

2) Sponsors have pulled their adds in coincidental unison because of dwindling review from unsuccessful adverting.

15. macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

It would be cool to see the Top 100 (paid) list start sorting by revenue rather than downloads.

That could get rid of the problem that was being discussed on the front page.

16. macrumors 601

Apparently it's back because I'm looking at the top 100 free and paid apps lists right now.

17. macrumors 68000

pubwvj

Apple has gradually made the App store harder to navigate and find things I'm looking for. This is unfortunate. It really needs reworking. It is too difficult to go through so many pages looking for something. I would like to see the Top 100 in each category separately and I would also like to see the Free in each category separately. Sorting by (up & down): rank, rating, price, release date, last update date, alphabetical, developer would all be good.

18. macrumors newbie