Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

liquidmetal.png
Apple has renewed its exclusive rights to use Liquidmetal Technologies' unique metal alloys in its line of products, according to a document filed today with the SEC. The new agreement extends Apple's relationship with Liquidmetal Technologies until February 5, 2016.
On June 17, 2015, Liquidmetal Technologies, Inc. (the "Company") and Apple Inc. ("Apple") entered into a third amendment (the "Third Amendment") to the Master Transaction Agreement that was originally entered into on August 5, 2010 and amended on June 15, 2012 and May 17, 2014 (the "MTA"). Under the MTA and its first two amendments in 2012 and 2014, the Company was obligated to contribute to Crucible Intellectual Property, LLC, a special purpose subsidiary of the Company, all intellectual property acquired or developed by the Company from August 5, 2010 through February 5, 2015, and all intellectual property held by Crucible Intellectual Property, LLC was exclusively licensed on a perpetual basis to Apple for the field of use of consumer electronic products under the MTA.
Liquidmetal's alloys are of interest to Apple and those who follow the company due to their unique properties including high strength, corrosion resistance, light weight, and malleability. Apple has used Liquidmetal's technology to develop the SIM removal tool for the iPhone 3G, but no other confirmed use of the alloys is known.

Apple continues to work with Liquidmetal technology, as evidenced in an array of patents that have surfaced over the last several years, and the company has been rumored to be considering Liquidmetal for iOS device home buttons, touch sensors, and tamper-resistant screws.

Article Link: Apple Renews Exclusive Rights to Liquidmetal Technologies' Alloys

Jason83

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2014
PA, USA
I know good products take a long time to develop, but I have to wonder if Apple is ever going to do anything of substance with this partnership. I would have thought if they had anything major in the pipeline, they'd have just made an offer on the company as a whole. 1 part patents, 1 part aquihire.

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
wonder what would have been created with liquidmetal had apple not continuously sat on it...sim tool aside...

They make golf clubs with this stuff currently and knives.

Apple seems to be doing mroe than just sitting on it. This stuff may seem magical and everything but is not easy to use initially.

They have contributed some patents. They need to fully evaluate how this material works over time along with a range of different conditions.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
I know good products take a long time to develop, but I have to wonder if Apple is ever going to do anything of substance with this partnership. I would have thought if they had anything major in the pipeline, they'd have just made an offer on the company as a whole. 1 part patents, 1 part aquihire.

It's a hobby.

Reactions: Jason83

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Whatever they're doing with it, they've been trying for a really long time. Maybe the new MBA will be made out of the stuff.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
Only extended for a year? Also, is it only the SIM removal tool for the iPhone 3G or also for later iPhones?
FYI, Apple already paid for a perpetual license. They're free to use liquidmetal for the foreseeable future without any royalties.

The extended agreement refers to the sharing of intellectual property developed during this period.

Reactions: k1121j and powers74
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.