Apple Renews Rights to Liquidmetal Technologies' Alloys for Consumer Products

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 21, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple has renewed exclusive rights to use Liquidmetal Technologies' metal alloys in consumer electronics items, according to a filing with the SEC.

The rights were originally purchased back in 2010, to run through February 2014. The new renewal extends the agreement through February of 2015.
    According to a report from earlier this year, Apple is interested in using Liquidmetal's alloys for home buttons, touch sensors and tamper-resistant screws. The alloys possess a number of unique properties including high strength and corrosion resistance while remaining relatively light and able to cast into a variety of forms.

Article Link: Apple Renews Rights to Liquidmetal Technologies' Alloys for Consumer Products

2. macrumors 6502a

diddl14

Pity that Swatch has the exclusive rights on jewelry and .. watches.

3. macrumors regular

4. macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

5. macrumors 603

troop231

http://store.apple.com

Ok I'm done being a smarta$$ :p

6. macrumors 68000

AngerDanger

7. macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I tell you it's gonna be great in 2025 to finally see an Apple branded product made from liquid metal.

8. macrumors 6502

Dear Tim Cook,

Please use these rights for something.

Chuck

9. macrumors 6502a

diddl14

Make sure you sell them before Feb 2015...

10. macrumors regular

HiVolt

Maybe make something other than a sim ejector tool from it eh Apple?

11. macrumors regular

Is anyone using Liquidmetal in any mass-produced products currently? I've heard about this stuff for years but with the exception of the back cover of my old Sansa mp3 player and a SIM ejector tool from Apple I haven't seen it used anywhere.

12. macrumors member

Sandisk also used Liquidmetal for their Titanium USB flash drives (http://www.sandisk.com/about-sandis...e-with-liquidmetal's-advanced-titanium-alloy/) I have one - it is tough!

13. macrumors 65816

This is great news for consumers. I'm excited to see Apple take these rights forward into some incredible new revolutionary products. And the best bit Apple's exclusive rights to the technology means samesung et all can't copy this time. :D

14. macrumors 68030

TallManNY

Ah

Ah, Liquid Metal. The most disappointing Apple rumor of all. We've not gotten much out of this wonderful substance yet. But maybe next year!

15. macrumors 68040

Glideslope

You're not looking in the correct spaces. ;) :apple:

16. macrumors 601

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Maybe the is about NOT letting some key competitor have access to it rather than being the basis for some Apple product? Happens all the time: buy to suppress rather than buy to impress.

While just speculation, I'd think if something was impending that really showcased the use of LM, Apple would "renew" for longer than 1 year. If that something is a big hit, they'd want to keep the lock on for longer than 1 year rather than potentially being hit up to pay more to renew again.

I'm suspicious of the short-term.

17. macrumors 6502

blacktape242

sad to say, liquid metal has been vastly under used.

wish i knew why?

18. macrumors newbie

Yeah, maybe - or maybe they're waiting for things to be sorted out with Visser before they buy them out like they did with AuthenTec?

Us being on the outside and have such little detail, who knows...

19. macrumors 6502a

CrazyForApple

20. macrumors 65816

Dang, it's been THAT long already? I remember first reading about it on here.

Years flying by, getting old, still no liquid metal body iPhone..:(

21. macrumors 6502

Maybe Apple changed their mind on liquid metal, but wants to keep the rights an extra year just to make sure, in case something else doesn't pan out.

22. macrumors 65816

Perhaps a little startup company called the "International Wisdom Association of Taxes, Consultants, and Holdings" should approach them and negotiate a contract with Swatch to allow them to use it. And for cheap since they are just a startup...

23. macrumors 65816

thermodynamic

You can't. Few will. The screws will be made of this special metal, to prevent their being moved by "unauthorized" personnel. Still, when making computers with off-the-shelf commodity hardware, you then have to then make every attempt to do any DIY upgrades impossible so you're forced to pay 5x as much for comparable upgrades directly through the company, even if the same hardware can be had on competing devices for half the price, before any upgrade is considered. Yee-haw.

----------

True. Competition is no different than toddlers in a sandbox, flinging sand at each other and screaming "MINE!!!!!"

----------

Apart from the times Apple has copied from Samsung, Google (re: Android's features), or other companies? :D If Apple is so whiny about copying, here's an idea: Make everything with proprietary, from-the-ground up designs where none of it came from off-the-shelf components like open source, the ARM technology it licenses for iphones, etc, etc, etc... and no more leaching off of old-sci fi to make its "original" tablets from - Star Trek and others have shown these and other ideas for decades... (Use a search engine; Apple copies just like everyone else...)

Plus, enough of the article stated the metal would be used for shiny pretty buttons, and for screws so you can't see what's inside. Since a patent on a rounded rectangle is not on the inside of the unit, the competition-bashing makes no sense.

24. macrumors 603

thekev

They may be using it as intended. They may also have research projects related to this, but there's no way to know where it is and isn't feasible. Some things just don't scale well.

It may not scale up well or cost effectively. I think people on here just want to see it for the coolness factor. It sounds interesting.

25. macrumors 68020