Apple Repair Centre: Morons.

Discussion in 'Community' started by AlBDamned, Sep 22, 2005.

1. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Wahey - just went to pick up my Powerbook with it's new logic board from Apple Regent Street and the repair centre (not the one at the Apple Store) had put in a new logic board with the wrong 1.5GHZ processor in it, instead of 1.67.

Morons.

2. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

They better make up for their error . . . make a point of how they should do something to compensate for the extra inconvenience you've had to endure --- maybe in the form of some software or a Mighty Mouse or a wireless keyboard.

3. Kobushi macrumors 6502a

Kobushi

Some extra Ram is always nice.

or <cough> nano <cough> ..yeah right. But anything is worth trying ;)

4. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

Make a big fuss about the inconveniece they caused and I'm sure they'll do something to compensate you. Especially if your around a lot of customers when you do it.

5. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Well, the Guys and girls at the Apple Store were very apologetic themselves but it wasn't there fault. They took the step to change out the logic board in-store (this was at 6.30pm last night). I got a call at 8.30 last night to say it had been done and they 'were just testing it' to make sure everything was ok and I should be able to pick it up today (Friday). We will see though.

I'm leaving my job today so have just finished backing up all my work onto a load of DVDs. Well annoying.

As it stands they have given me a 10% off next purchase voucher...
    :rolleyes:

Edit:

Just received a call to say it's ready for collection. 11am. Still can't believe the repair centre put the wrong one in in the first place, but 18 or so hours is an excellent turnaround so I have to give full marks to the Regent Street Store in that respect.

6. carpe diem macrumors 6502

That is bad explain that you feel offended and will write a letter.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

If you're not appreciative, can I have it?

That can be a lot of money saved. Honestly. It wasn't THAT big an error and they're giving you 10% off your next purchase. Smile.

8. Mac_Freak macrumors 6502a

That 10% cover all the taxes. Pretty nice.

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

As it was from the Regent Street store (UK) I'm afraid not! VAT is 17.5% here. All prices are quoted inclusive of VAT so at least you pay the amount on the sticker. I always get confused by that in the US!

10. Mac_Freak macrumors 6502a

17.5% :eek: Damn, this is a lot. We here in US complain about 8.something % And yeah, we have always have to add tax charges to figure out the final price.

11. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

Somewhat off topic but can you remind me how much sales tax is in New York - i shall be heading that way in December and i wouldn't mind pricing up a couple of things before i go!

Sorry to jump in on the thread. More on topic i suggest that you write, stress how busy you are and how much of your time their error has taken up. Remain civil and remember that the sales staff have nothing to do with this sort of thing. It never hurts to try and it'll lose you nothing.

12. Mac_Freak macrumors 6502a

My receipt from pharmacy store shows a 8.375% N.Y. Tax , which seems about right.

13. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

You can't seriously say that putting the wrong logic board back in is a small mistake? If so, crikey - I'd hate to see a major one in your book, Abstract!

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

It was a mistake, but they fixed it quite quickly.

You got 10% off. That means your next PowerBook or PowerMac will be 10% off. That would be (at least) 130 quid in my pocket if I bought a 15" PowerBook. Not bad for 18 hours of grief. And again, it's not like they dicked you around for a few days and made a bunch of crap excuses.

EDIT: Here's something I'd consider major

1. My Powerbook came back scratched.
    2. My Powerbook came back dented.
    3. My Powerbook came back as an iBook. :p

15. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

LOL, about the iBook. To be honest, I could more understand a dent or a scratch. In fact, I almost expected that to happen. In reality, it looked better than it did before I dropped it off. I think it had been cleaned and the screen was clear of dust.

Sorry, but the wrong processor still ranks above those IMO.

However, they have done very well at the actual store to have it done that quickly and as above, I give the Apple Store Regent Street full credit for that.

16. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I'd agree simply because while most people would spot an iBook, a scratch or a dent; you have to be reasonably clued up to notice that your processor had changed.

17. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Ok, I got it back - right processor and all. However, now the damnthing has no serial number when you look at the 'About this Mac'.

Something to bother with or you reckon I should just quit while I'm semi-ahead...? :mad:

18. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Good point, and this isn't the first I've heard of this happening here at MacRumors. Gotta wonder how many "technically inept" people this has happened to who didn't even notice!

19. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

Thanks, had gotten it into my head that it was nearer 12% - now everything is cheaper! Now all i'm waiting for is a few christmas promotions (but not rebates).