Apple repair experience?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DOUGHNUT, Nov 14, 2006.

1. DOUGHNUT macrumors regular

the trackpad of my MacBook Pro has recently decided to quit on me and it just kept on acting irratically whenever I try to use it. I even cleaned it with those alcohol wipes used to clean lenses, and it still doesn't fix the problem. I have decided to pay a visit to Apple 5th Ave Store in NY some time this weekend, and I was just wondering what the typical turnaround time is for repairs at Apple? a week? or longer? Also, will Apple ship the laptop back to my mailing address? or will I need to go to the store to pick it up.

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It varies widely depending on workload and part availability. I dropped my PowerBook off at the San Francisco flagship store for a keyboard replacement, and it took them ten days to do the job. I also had to go back to the store to pick it up. Other people have had the same repair done in a day.

You may be able to arrange for them to ship it back to you...I don't know.

3. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Our MB logic board replacement took about 10 days including shipping time. DHL picked it up at my house and delivered back to my house.

4. DOUGHNUT thread starter macrumors regular

another thing

should I bother wiping everything on my hard drive clean? or should I just remove important and private data? Will Apple wipe out my hard drive if nothing is wrong with the HD?

5. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

They most likely won't wipe your drive, but it's been known to happen, so backup anything you have that's important.

As for MY personal experience with Apple's repair service, let's just say that it's been a never-ending fiasco and leave it at that.